Kungfu Kitchen (Formerly Chou's Kitchen in Tempe)

The Valley of the Sun, and all that is tasty therein
exit2lef

Kungfu Kitchen (Formerly Chou's Kitchen in Tempe)

Post by exit2lef »

A the Spice Spirit lunch, there was some discussion of how the Tempe location of Chou's Kitchen was in the process of being rebranded as Kungfu Kitchen. Sure enough, on the way home from Cocina Chiwas last night, I noticed that the Chou's sign had been replaced with a new one reflecting the updated identity. Last time I was there, just a few weeks ago, the sign still said Chou's, even though the plates said Kungfu, as seen with these chive egg pockets I had then.

I'm not a fan of the new name. It sounds rather generic and even borderline stereotypical for a place that serves a distinctive regional cuisine. I have not had an issue with the food, although I've heard at both the Spice Spirit lunch and through other channels some reports that the food isn't the same. The menu appears unchanged (at least so far) in comparison to meals I've had there earlier this year. Interestingly, the website is now at a domain that is neither Chou's nor Kungfu.

https://www.yumtempe.com/

To be clear, this change appears to apply only to the restaurant at Apache/Dorsey in Tempe, not the original Chou's in Chandler.
davej

Re: Chou's Kitchen / Kungfu Kitchen (Tempe only)

Post by davej »

They also got hit with dirty dining a few weeks ago. RIP Chou's Tempe.

I heard there was a split between the two locations. Not sure if it's a sold off or hostile split.
LaPan

Post by LaPan »

Just into Chou’s Chandler. They sold off Tempe location 8 months ago. The original gang all happily back in Chandler and food is still yum.
Lunchbox

Post by Lunchbox »

LaPan wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:20 pm Just into Chou’s Chandler. They sold off Tempe location 8 months ago. The original gang all happily back in Chandler and food is still yum.
Last time I went to Chandler (last year around this time) I went in and ordered takeout while my kid was across the street in acting class. I was craving a bunch of things (mostly the eggplant), wife wanted a couple dishes, kids each wanted something else, so it was kind of a lot of food. But it was just for our family of 4. The guy taking my order was like "You must be having a party!"

Yeah. On a random Tuesday night. 😂

I tell him no, it's just dinner for my family. He gives me the once over and says "oh, ok. Big eaters!"

#nailedit :lol:

We had food for a few days and I don't regret a thing... 🤷🏻‍♂️