San Diego spots?

Traveling and dining in other Arizona cities and beyond
artvandelay

5 years ago

Going to Coronado for the week. Anything worthwhile close (I haven't found much but it's been a few years)?
M_L

5 years ago

I will be on Coronado for a week for a work conference I am pretty much on my own for meals so any suggestions near the Marriott are most welcome. I will not have a vehicle until the weekend at which point I will be more mobile. Thanks in advance!
LaPan

5 years ago

Cafe 21 in the Gaslamp. Breakfast, lunch or dinner. My favorite in SD.
ScottofStrand

4 years ago

Had a couple days in San Diego this weekend and hit up some places mentioned here!
Davanti Focaccia.jpg
Davanti Enoteca- Focaccia di Recco
Davanti Focaccia.jpg (99.99 KiB) Viewed 3581 times
En Route to Underbelly I spotted Davanti Enoteca and had to detour to get a taste of the delicious Focaccia di Recco with Honeycomb. I only got to have it once in Scottsdale before the location closed, and it's just as good here. Crunchy exterior with melted, buttery ricotta inside. Salty, sweet, fatty, crunchy.. All the adjectives.
UnderBelly of the Beast2.jpg
Underbelly- Belly of the Beast
UnderBelly of the Beast2.jpg (104.17 KiB) Viewed 3581 times
I had to try the "Belly of the Beast" ramen at Underbelly. Loaded with Oxtail Dumplings, Soft Boiled Egg, Smoked Brisket and Hoisin Glazed Short Rib, this is not a traditional ramen(though those are available). Even with all the bold flavors, the broth was fairly light with just enough smoke flavor to make it the predominant taste. The meats were all delicious and the noodles were terrific. Probably some of the best noodles I've had in any US ramen shop. I could use a bit more punch in the broth, and luckily they had a condiment tray with "Scorpion Paste" which was a creamy spicy addition that helped the broth with the extra kick I required.
UnderBelly Wings.jpg
Underbelly- Crispy Chicken Wings
UnderBelly Wings.jpg (94.26 KiB) Viewed 3581 times
I also had the Sweet and Spicy chicken wings, which had a thick and crunchy breading. They were good, but perhaps not good enough to order them next visit before ordering something else to try.
Ballast Tasting.jpg
Ballast Brewery Flight
Ballast Tasting.jpg (86.03 KiB) Viewed 3581 times
Ballast Point brewery was just a few blocks away so I rolled myself up the street and had just enough stomach space left to try a few beers. The tasting flights were 3, 4oz pours for 5 bucks. Good deal, and good beers!
Dodads.jpg
Hodad's- Single Bacon Cheeseburger
Dodads.jpg (115.03 KiB) Viewed 3581 times
I only had time for one stop on the way out of town, and it was a perfect afternoon for a burger. Hodad's was all that everyone else claimed. Greasy and messy, but loaded up with enough crunchy onions, pickles, lettuce and tomato to balance out the killer bacon layer and meaty grilled patty. It felt like what every Whopper aspires to be. The Onion Rings were outstanding. I need to figure out how they get that super crunchy crust and then batter up everything with it. Dom was right about the fries. They were pretty shabby in comparison. The larger pieces were undercooked and the smaller cooked ones were just so-so. Go with the RINGS!
azhotdish

4 years ago

We recently spent three weeks in San Diego, including two weeks in North Bay in San Marcos, so Kaito in Encinitas was a must-visit for us. I cooked virtually every meal we ate while there with the exception of five, this being one of them. Kaito was, by far, the most memorable meal we had.

We did the omakase and just let them go to town. When the place finally slowed down on a random Thursday (it was jam packed) two courses in and the chef finally had a chance to talk to us, the hits started coming. Simple, expertly prepared, fresh and delicious. A couple new-to-me fish varieties (kohada and barracuda) and an exquisite ending of uni, this was a fabulous meal. About $190 with sake and three beers (before tip), I still think it was a good value. Definitely coming back here next time we're in town. While the service started out a bit cold, by the end of the night, they treated us like old friends.
kaito_amberjack_1200px.jpg
amberjack
kaito_amberjack_1200px.jpg (158.38 KiB) Viewed 3416 times
kaito_halibut_1200px.jpg
halibut
kaito_halibut_1200px.jpg (124.82 KiB) Viewed 3416 times
kaito_mackerel_1200px.jpg
mackerel
kaito_mackerel_1200px.jpg (89 KiB) Viewed 3416 times
kaito_kohada_1200px.jpg
kohada (gizzard shad)
kaito_kohada_1200px.jpg (92.76 KiB) Viewed 3416 times
kaito_barracuda_1200px.jpg
barracuda
kaito_barracuda_1200px.jpg (90.78 KiB) Viewed 3416 times
kaito_giantclam_1200px.jpg
giant clam
kaito_giantclam_1200px.jpg (84.37 KiB) Viewed 3416 times
kaito_eel_1200px.jpg
eel two ways
kaito_eel_1200px.jpg (85.71 KiB) Viewed 3416 times
kaito_uni_1200px.jpg
santa barbara uni
kaito_uni_1200px.jpg (85.38 KiB) Viewed 3416 times
---
Joel
@azhotdish
bharbeke

3 years ago

We are thinking of going to San Diego this Memorial Day weekend. Are there any new recommendations or experiences from the last two years that anyone would like to add to this list? We are especially looking for seafood (probably not sushi), child-friendly, and picky-eater-friendly places (if one restaurant has all three qualities, bonus!).
Brandon
azhotdish

3 years ago

bharbeke wrote:We are thinking of going to San Diego this Memorial Day weekend. Are there any new recommendations or experiences from the last two years that anyone would like to add to this list? We are especially looking for seafood (probably not sushi), child-friendly, and picky-eater-friendly places (if one restaurant has all three qualities, bonus!).
Point Loma Seafood checks all the boxes.
---
Joel
@azhotdish
BarbaraToombs

3 years ago

We have actually had a great time and great food at The Fish Market (next to the Midway), much to our surprise. Can be full of tourists, but definitely family-friendly and vast menu. Mark and I avoid the tourist feel by sitting at the oyster bar (right as you come in the door)...you can get full menu there. Their Cioppino (Italian seafood stew) is particularly awesome...and the chef who mans the oyster bar (who has been there like 25 years or something!) makes it right there. Love that place.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
MAdoubleT

3 years ago

A couple of my favorite spots during my last few trips to San Diego. Lots of different areas in San Diego, tried to provide some places in different parts.

Mexican Fiesta on India Street near little Italy - cash only, if I fly in I head straight here from the airport.
Cucina Urbana in Bankers hills
Georges at the cove in la jolla
Bird rock coffee roasters in bird rock or la jolla
Oscars fish tacos in pacific beach - cash only
bharbeke

2 years ago

I highly recommend High Tide Bottle Shop and Kitchen in Coronado. I tried the meat lover's pizza and barbeque chicken pizza, and both were outstanding. I'd put the pizza on the same level as La Grande Orange. They also make their own sodas for the fountain (think Culver's root beer). The black cherry was very good.

Seating is a bit limited, but that is the case with a lot of the restaurants near the beach. They offer delivery and take-out, so I would use one of those options to get a whole pizza next time.
Brandon
LaPan

2 years ago

Cafe21!! There's two. One is in the Gaslight district. The other is not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk