Filling the Korean Food Void

Good eating in the Valley of the Sun
Lunchbox

7 months ago

Sensitive subject… With Cafe Ga Hyang's closure… Has anyone filled the void yet?

I have family who have 2 adopted Korean boys and they will be here next week... Naturally, they were going to take them to Ga Hyang because I was constantly singing praises… Is there anything worthwhile in the Valley?

Apologies in advance if I triggered anyone with this post... (Looking at you SkilletDoux)
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
Lunchbox

7 months ago

I remember having a decent meal at Gogi in Chandler a few years ago. Has anyone been there recently?

http://www.gogichandler.com/
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
NightBloom

7 months ago

My go-to fav is Sizzle for KBBQ because the meat is soooo good, but they really don't make the grade in any other area of the menu.

I would consult the "best" list:
https://www.azcentral.com/story/enterta ... 086341001/
CRISTEN :)
IG: oldtownfoodfanatic
BenLagom
Site Admin

7 months ago

The food court at Asiana Market Mesa is a place to keep in mind. I've only been once, but I enjoyed the Korean pork stone pot I had.

It's not a replacement for Cafe Ga Hyang, but it's great for a casual lunch.
20190313_003855707_iOS.jpg
20190313_003855707_iOS.jpg (114.1 KiB) Viewed 676 times
Skillet Doux

7 months ago

Yeah, there is no replacing Ga Hyang :-/

That list should still be good. I'll second Sizzle for BBQ, or Manna if you feel compelled to do the AYCE thing. Soups at Hodori, some good stuff at Seoul.

But the duk boki, the haemul pajeon, both versions of the naeng myun and especially the banchan... all runaway favorites that are just gone and for which there really isn't anything else close right now.

Silver lining footnote: I got word recently (finally) that Sun and Nick are all right. Sun may have basically retired (not sure), and apparently Nick is working on motorcycles. But from what I understand, they're both doing okay.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com