Horseshoe Restaurant - Homey Sonoran

2015 list of restaurants that have captured our love and admiration
chrislee

3 years ago

Ok...so this might be a bit of a reach as I don't think many folks have been there but we love El Horseshoe.

We have the benefit of spending all day every Saturday in downtown Phoenix while the kids are at ballet. With that going, it gives us a launching point that is much farther west than usual.

I read Dom's post on chilaquiles at thekillerdish.com to Heather and she was interested enough to try it. She's not typically a fan of chilaquiles as she's not much for soggy.

So 2 of the kids (1 at ballet), Heather and I trekked out there.

Little did we know we'd be back the following Saturday...and the one after that...and the one after that...

Turns out Heather likes these chilaquiles. And so did I. The kids went for machaca and eggs.

We both loved both sauces on the chilaquiles too and continued to order them. Wonderful consistency - crispy & chewy both. Still saucy but with texture. Always added the over easy fried egg too.

I've never had machaca this style either - the dryer, almost beef jerky take. But we all loved them. Probably my favorite machaca ever. I kept forgetting to order it with potatoes too. And the kids wanted eggs anyway. Also great homemade corn tortillas.

And while a bit sweet for Heather, I loved the cebada (drink similar to horchata but made from barley).

The place is great too. Small & humble but super nice people.

El Horseshoe thread

El Horseshoe
2140 W. Buckeye Rd.
Phoenix, AZ 85009
602-251-3135
M_L

3 years ago

So the chilaquiles with the over easy fried egg are a thing of beauty. The green is clearly better than the red but the red is no slouch. I cannot relate in words the textural wonder that these embody. There is something supremely satisfying when something is both crunchy and soft both in the right ways.

The machaca beef jerky is surprisingly really awesome. Never had anything like it in all my yeas. It is probably not a dish for everyone and I was skeptical of it as first. But it really was enjoyable.

And the horchata is up there and may be one of the best I have ever drank. Its quite excellent.

This place is a true local gem.
Skillet Doux

3 years ago

What a cool little joint. So chill, so tasty, and so much fun. It's not just the food, but the dusty character of the place too. Kudos, Mike, for bringing it to our attention, and man, I hope it makes the list.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
azhotdish
Site Admin

3 years ago

I would support this FNA. They are a neighborhood joint that is far exceeding their expectations.
---
Joel
@azhotdish
Skillet Doux

3 years ago

Horseshoe Restaurant has been named to the 2015 Food Nerd Approved list.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com