Pho Avina - Benchmark Southern Vietnamese

2015 list of restaurants that have captured our love and admiration
Skillet Doux

Pho Avina - Benchmark Southern Vietnamese

Post by Skillet Doux » Sun May 17, 2015 11:25 pm

Pho Avina was a victim of unfortunate timing last year, and I feel that needs to be rectified.

Though Christina first posted about them in September of 2013, the rest of us didn't catch on until just as the FNAs were going down. And then they closed for a month right as we were visiting the nominees.

I hope we can rectify that this year. And if I can sum up the case in terms every faithful PHXfner will understand, it is with this quote:
AZLobo wrote:I have to say, and AuntMeya agreed: this is easily the best Vientnamese that I've had in town to date.
Let me be clear. Even AZLobo, Pho Thanh's unofficial ambassador, was won over by Pho Avina.

The long and short of it is that Pho Avina has become a benchmark restaurant for Southern Vietnamese in Phoenix. Though ironically, the namesake pho is one of the least compelling items on the menu.
avinabanhxeo.jpg
avinabanhxeo.jpg (121.5 KiB) Viewed 1762 times
Has anybody had a better banh xeo in Phoenix? Has anybody had one even close to being this good? This is the standard by which the rest are judged.
avinabotaichanh.jpg
avinabotaichanh.jpg (92.29 KiB) Viewed 1762 times
Oh, the bo tai chanh... especially with the pineapple and anchovy-based mam nem for a dressing. Simple and delicious and absurdly refreshing.
avinacomtam.jpg
avinacomtam.jpg (93.16 KiB) Viewed 1762 times
Even the broken rice dishes... so much flavor in the meats, beautiful fried eggs with crisp, lacy edges and molten cores.

Awesome bo bia cuon, macarons, a smooth and subtle chicken curry, bun bo hue second only to Hue Gourmet, bo kho with all kinds of layers... it's approaching midnight or I'd drag this out, but the point is that while a number of places have a couple of items they do well, I can't think of any Southern Vietnamese joint in town that does so much so well as Pho Avina.
Bax wrote:I try to stop by Pho Avina whenever I'm in the neighborhood (which isn't often enough).
Christina wrote:I finally see why so many like bún bò khô. This is the first prep I've had in years that I really enjoyed.
katfishkh wrote:I was totally blown away ... Everything tasted at the recent nerds sit down was fresh, packed with flavor and expertly balanced.
BarbaraToombs wrote:The Bánh Xèo was over-the-top great...how in the WORLD do they get that so crispy (not to mention full of flavor!)?
Here's hoping they get some support in the coming week, and we can push one that should have been on last year's list over the finish line.

Pho Avina Main Thread

Pho Avina
www.phoavina.com
4920 W. Thunderbird Rd. Suite 110
Glendale, AZ 85306
602-439-2547
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
Bax

Re: Pho Avina - Benchmark Southern Vietnamese

Post by Bax » Sun May 17, 2015 11:50 pm

Definitely. Another place I'd visit constantly if it were in my part of town. As it is there is SO much of the menu I need to explore...
AZLobo

Post by AZLobo » Tue May 19, 2015 11:17 pm

What can I say, I agree with everything above -- I only wish it were closer to me -- but this is the best Vietnamese joint in town.
BarbaraToombs

Post by BarbaraToombs » Wed May 20, 2015 6:00 am

Hear, hear. Craving that place. Also wish it was closer to me!
Christina

Post by Christina » Sun May 24, 2015 5:28 pm

Love Pho Avina. I'll be heading there for lunch next week. Anyone want to join?
Skillet Doux

Post by Skillet Doux » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:35 am

Pho Avina has been named to the 2015 Food Nerd Approved list.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com