EVO - Lusty and Late Night Italian

2015 list of restaurants that have captured our love and admiration
Lunchbox

EVO - Lusty and Late Night Italian

Post by Lunchbox » Sun May 17, 2015 9:39 pm

I don't have a lot of time but I know the nominations are closing soon... EVO under Peter Deruvo has been crushing it... Will post more tomorrow if I'm able.
-- LBX

@zach_garcia

All photos taken before January 14th, 2013 were taken by a slightly broken Apple iPhone 4S.
All photos taken after January 15th, 2013 were taken by an Apple iPhone 5.
M_L

Re: EVO Scottsdale

Post by M_L » Mon May 18, 2015 7:24 am

I have been here once a week at least for probably the last month or so. They are making some really great food right now. And it is capped off with the return of the "focaccia." I just, wow it is so ridiculously good. This place has my support for certain.
BarbaraToombs

Post by BarbaraToombs » Mon May 18, 2015 8:43 am

I sadly have not been here yet!
BillBuitenhuys

Post by BillBuitenhuys » Tue May 19, 2015 7:08 am

I've always loved Peter's food, no question, and consider ~him~ to be FNA worthy.

That said, I don't think there is enough track record for his current stint to give EVO the FNA for this year.
MAdoubleT

Post by MAdoubleT » Wed May 20, 2015 4:32 pm

I thought our dinner there a few weeks ago was quintessential food nerd approved. I loved everything about that night other than I was not having drinks with azhotdish. (I should have and regretted it the next day) On that dinner alone EVO has phx fna written all over it.

While I am not on the deciding committee and to bill's point is this fna approved 2015 or like a good surprise movie that is released the first week in January that has to wait for the following years Oscar nominations?
azhotdish
Site Admin

Post by azhotdish » Wed May 20, 2015 6:39 pm

Mattrozen wrote:I thought our dinner there a few weeks ago was quintessential food nerd approved. I loved everything about that night other than I was not having drinks with azhotdish. (I should have and regretted it the next day) On that dinner alone EVO has phx fna written all over it.
Most meals are more enjoyable when you're drinking with azhotdish. :lol:
---
Joel
@azhotdish
MyLifeOnVacatio

Post by MyLifeOnVacatio » Thu May 21, 2015 12:45 pm

Mr. Vacation & I went last week before my trip and had an excellent meal. topped off by an appearance of FOCACCIA! He went again this week for Restaurant Week with his folks and they also had a great meal. While I myself have had only one visit, the food was excellent across the board. Speaking of board, did I mention the FOCACCIA board?? Oh, I may have. 8-)
Skillet Doux

Post by Skillet Doux » Sun May 24, 2015 3:20 am

The timing is a legitimate question, and one we'll have to kick around. But if we're just talking the food and the level of excitement on the board, it's pretty tough to top Evo. The only reason I can see for its exclusion would be its newness, and while a legitimate reason, I'm not entirely convinced that's enough in this case.

So, so happy to have DeRuvo back. And in my 'hood. After midnight.

*pinch*
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
BarbaraToombs

Post by BarbaraToombs » Sun May 24, 2015 3:35 pm

Haven't been here yet, but if DeRuvo is there, gotta be good!
BillBuitenhuys

Post by BillBuitenhuys » Sun May 24, 2015 4:37 pm

Skillet Doux wrote:The timing is a legitimate question, and one we'll have to kick around. But if we're just talking the food and the level of excitement on the board, it's pretty tough to top Evo. The only reason I can see for its exclusion would be its newness, and while a legitimate reason, I'm not entirely convinced that's enough in this case.

So, so happy to have DeRuvo back. And in my 'hood. After midnight.

*pinch*
So what makes "this case" an anomoly?

The level of excitement is all for having Peter back....not because EVO changed chefs. My point being no matter where Peter ended up there would be a very high level of action on this board and deservedly so. Also, if it was most any other chef that just started a stint at EVO a few weeks ago there would be little discussion.
For me, FNA is consistent excellence. Is that Peter? Yes. Is it EVO. Certainly not before a few weeks ago.
M_L

Post by M_L » Sun May 24, 2015 5:27 pm

BillBuitenhuys wrote:So what makes "this case" an anomoly?
I think you certain have an excellent point and you are probably right, if it was some other chef would we react this way? If the food was this good I think we would. I think there is something to say for a place I went to 5 times in a month and was not sick of it. And I also think a lot on what Dom said for late night options. Often when I am working late this place is on my way home and it is perfect to pop in and grab a little something and get out. There just are not that many great options at 10+PM. Or at least not many that are as convenient serving food this good.

I do get some pause from what you are saying Bill. Are we better off waiting it out to see if it continues to hold up? I am just happy I do not have to make that decision.
PHXeater

Post by PHXeater » Sun May 24, 2015 10:24 pm

Well, I've only had one meal there but it was everything I've come to expect from Peter Deruvo. Was the meal very similar to Cucina Enoteca meals? Yes, absolutely. And that is a GREAT thing. The food was exemplary, they even made the foccacia for us despite it not being on the menu that evening. The service was a little green, but very enthusiastic and helpful, to the point where we were thrilled about it. It's not often a server runs to get a happy hour menu minutes before it ends on a Friday evening to save you a few bucks when they could make a few bucks extra, but it was really nice. My only complaint was our apps and entrees showed up at the same time, but again, enthusiasm from both back of house and front of house, really made up for it.

The timing/track record may be difficult since the accolades are so recent, but I don't recall there being a time requirement for FNA's :)
-- Liz
Skillet Doux

Re: EVO - Lusty and Late Night Italian

Post by Skillet Doux » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:41 am

EVO has been named to the 2015 Food Nerd Approved list.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com