Gertrude's - Southern Influences in the Desert

2015 list of restaurants that have captured our love and admiration
azhotdish
Site Admin

3 years ago

I've been a fan of Matt Taylor since he was at Metro Brasserie at Southbridge cooking a French bistro menu. When he took over the executive chef position at Noca, we were able to see his strong pedigree of Southern cooking on full display. Moving on to Market Street Kitchen and now Gertrude's @ Desert Botanical Garden, he's once again put his stamp on the menu and continues to show us that's he's one of the most talented chefs in The Valley.

From his smoky pork gumbo with horseradish potato salad to his sublime treatment of Carolina rice grits, he shows his heritage while putting restrained modern touches on the food with exceptional results.

Gertrude's as a restaurant benefits from a gorgeous backdrop of the Sonoran desert, and visitors of the preserve benefit from the excellent food coming out the kitchen.

Main thread
---
Joel
@azhotdish
ScottofStrand

3 years ago

I visited Gertrude's shortly after Matt Taylor took over the helm and had a very nice meal. I went back last night and you could really tell Matt had taken over the menu. Wow, those scallops were perfection. The grits were also a knockout. The Burrata and Eggplant was aggressive in the best way possible.

Definitely happy to back this nomination. Can't wait to try more of the new menu!
Skillet Doux

3 years ago

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that Matt Taylor has really turned things up at Gertrude's, but it's so nice to see that he has. My meals there since he took over have been absolutely excellent, and I think Gertrude's would be a fine addition to the FNA list.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
BarbaraToombs

3 years ago

I haven't been here since Matt Taylor took over, sadly. But loved it before, and am sure would love it again, by the sounds of it!
Lunchbox

3 years ago

I totally back this nom based on the three visits in the past two months... Matt and his team are crushing it... I think it will only get better...
-- LBX

@zach_garcia

All photos taken before January 14th, 2013 were taken by a slightly broken Apple iPhone 4S.
All photos taken after January 15th, 2013 were taken by an Apple iPhone 5.
Skillet Doux

3 years ago

Gertrude's has been named to the 2015 Food Nerd Approved list.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com