Sam and Luca Rustic Kitchen

The Valley of the Sun, and all that is tasty therein
Lunchbox

Sam and Luca Rustic Kitchen

Post by Lunchbox »

Sandwiched between a UPS shipping store and a Panda Express (or maybe a Subway?), Sam and Luca Rustic Kitchen is one of those places that you literally drive by 100's of times before you finally say to yourself, "I should check that place out."

One day a few years ago, we popped in for a meal, and we're glad we did. I've talked to dozens of people who have said the same thing. And everyone who I have convinced to give it a go has thanked me afterward. If you can get past the Strip Mall exterior, it's a lovely little Italian joint putting out some solid dishes.

It's not going to win awards for plating or ambiance. (That said, it is nice inside and the food is consistently good.) There are always dinner specials and we usually try one (or two :D ). I had a short rib over brown butter gnocchi a few weeks ago that was solid. Everything always comes out of the kitchen hot and seasoned. I haven't really had a bad meal here (save a clunker dinner special which is gonna happen from time to time.) There is one dish that I usually order most of the time. It just satisfies my soul.
Lasagna.png
Lasagna.png (1.19 MiB) Viewed 1846 times
OMG, the Lasagna with house-made Bolognese. I literally dream about this dish. My mouth is watering right now as I write this. A fat slice of creamy cheesy layers swimming in a pool of meaty sauce. Ugh, it's so good. You'll also notice the acidic marinara on the top, which if it weren't there would make it a totally different dish. The combination of the three components, cheese, meat, and sauce, make for one hell of a balanced bite.

I should also say that the mozzarella sticks are house-made and really just stupid tasty. Our kids demand them when we go. Alongside their house-made bread with some vinegar and oil.

So don't drive by next time! Keep checking out these kinds of spots. You never know when you're gonna unearth a gem. And hey, if you don't like it, there's always a Panda Express next door.

Sam and Luca
https://www.samandlucaaz.com/
1959 S. Power Road
Mesa, AZ 85206