Welcome Chicken + Donuts

Good eating in the Valley of the Sun
Mike Z

4 years ago

Welcome Ramen + Beer

For those who missed it, they now serve bottled beer . . . ramen, beer, noon on a Sunday, 80 degrees on the patio . . . damn, I can't wait until these kids open a place in Tempe
WCD.jpg
WCD.jpg (69.58 KiB) Viewed 4007 times
Mike Z

4 years ago

Oh, and this thing . . .

Thai tea "Arnold Palmer" donut? "Coconut dulce de leche glaze donut topped with a lime accent and Thai tea gel"? Amazeballs
W3.jpg
W3.jpg (82.31 KiB) Viewed 3999 times
exit2lef

4 years ago

Mike Z wrote: damn, I can't wait until these kids open a place in Tempe
Is that actually planned, or just wishful thinking?
Mike Z

4 years ago

It's actually planned in my head. SW corner of Mill and Southern . . . tons of parking . . . Ramen + Bacon wrapped cream cheese stuffed jalapenos
exit2lef

4 years ago

Mike Z wrote:It's actually planned in my head. SW corner of Mill and Southern . . . tons of parking . . . Ramen + Bacon wrapped cream cheese stuffed jalapenos
Both Welcome restaurants are located at properties redeveloped by Martha + Mary. That company does have something at 7th St. & Southern in south Phoenix, but nothing in Tempe. Personally, I'd like to see a Welcome something-or-other at Martha + Mary's property at Central & Campbell. That space currently houses Pane Bianco and Lux Central, but I think there might be room for something more. There's not much parking, but it's across the street from light rail. In any case, thanks for clarifying that you were creating your own dream scenario. I do that too.
davej

4 years ago

When is the best time to hit this place with the least line? Hoping to go there again on Sunday....
Mike Z

4 years ago

The Sunday two weeks ago I got there at 10:30 when the Ramen starts, and there was a line nearly out the door. Last Sunday I got there about noonish, and there was one couple ahead of me. There was a more than ample supply of donuts . . . don't think any of the flavors were sold out yet
davej

4 years ago

Got there on Sunday around 11. Only a couple people ahead of us, wasn't much of a line. The chicken breast was a little drier and wasn't as good as the previous time I went. They also messed up couple of our orders. Ah well....
Bax

4 years ago

FnB collaboration this weekend. Which KILLS ME because I'm going to be out of town. :( (on the plus side I will be in Seattle eating delicious things).

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/ ... s.php#more
Skillet Doux

4 years ago

A couple more recent favorites:
donuts.jpg
donuts.jpg (70.69 KiB) Viewed 3621 times
I didn't write down the names, so hopefully this is correct, but on the left, I believe, was a grapefruit champagne donut, which was outstanding. Most of the grapefruit, I believe, was in the jelly dots on top (and also, I suspect, in the glaze). Either way, great stuff. The other, a cake donut, I believe was billed as Ginger + Ginger, the donut being flavored with dried ginger, and topped with candied ginger. Much more subtle than you might expect, and exceedingly good.

The chicken continues to kick ass. Love these guys.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
BarbaraToombs

4 years ago

Finally got here yesterday! Was right at 11 am, no crowds, just walked right up and ordered (lunch crowd hit around 11:30). That chicken is UNREAL! Sauce on the side is definitely the way to go. I had the Thai, and couldn't imagine the chicken swimming in that...delicious, but a little goes a long way, IMO. Also got the bourbon apple fritter...while it was good, it didn't blow me away. Couldn't detect any bourbon flavor, and barely any apple. I also got a couple of plain cake donuts to take home...tried one later, and it was great. Did I detect a hint of lemon?
Lunchbox

4 years ago

I'm glad this place isn't losing its luster... This is the standard by which I now judge all fried chicken... :lol:
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
M_L

4 years ago

Hit up WC+D for National Donut day. There were several people in line in front of me at 8:45 but their stock was fairly decimated. I supposed they may have slightly underestimated demand.

Managed to get some cake, glazed, chocolate glazed.
The highlights for me were the raspberry lime and the honey almond. Both were perfectly done and the crisp layer to the raspberry lime was a thing of true beauty. It may be because they had just made the Honey and the Rasp but man were they delicious.
J Live

4 years ago

This is pretty embarrassing to admit.....my office is less than two miles from WC&D and today was my first venture. People have brought the donuts into my office numerous times but I'm not a donut guy and never will be. But today I forgot my lunch, had just dropped wife and kid at the airport and was in a rush back to the office. Cruised in and asked if I can order chicken by itself, no combo. They said no problem and I got a chicken breast with korean sauce on the side. First off, what a deal! It was four bucks and change and the breast was huge, perfectly fried but very moist and juicy. My first thought tasting the sauce was that I'm glad I got it on the side...but then it really grew on me and I finished the entire cup. I know fried chicken isn't the best thing for you but I'm going to make those breasts a part of my lunch routine like they belong to Kate Upton.

I've yet to have better fried chicken than Blue Ribbon Sushi, but this is a very close second.
Lunchbox

4 years ago

J Live wrote:I know fried chicken isn't the best thing for you but I'm going to make those breasts a part of my lunch routine like they belong to Kate Upton.
And with that I think we have a new quote to go under the banner... :lol:
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
BarbaraToombs

4 years ago

Lunchbox wrote:
J Live wrote:I know fried chicken isn't the best thing for you but I'm going to make those breasts a part of my lunch routine like they belong to Kate Upton.
And with that I think we have a new quote to go under the banner... :lol:
YES YES YES! :lol:

AZhotdish...can you get on that, please??
BenLagom
Site Admin

4 months ago

It had been a long time since my last visit, so I decided to stop by today for a 2 piece combo. I'm pleased to report it was better than I remember, the chicken was juicy and the batter was perfectly crunchy.
20190320_203728295_iOS.jpg
20190320_203728295_iOS.jpg (134.55 KiB) Viewed 392 times