Huarachis Taqueria

The Valley of the Sun, and all that is tasty therein
tukeefoodie

Huarachis Taqueria

Post by tukeefoodie »

The Tripas is great, Frijol Dip has great depth and a slow burn but fans of Bacanora fans expecting that Chef Andrade would catch lightning in a bottle twice will leave disappointed. While there is nary a misstep at Bacanora, there are many at Huarachis. Not to say that some items are not very very good, but in a town with so many great and well-executed taco joints, Huarachis will need to seriously up its game to stand out on its own merits.

Frijol Dip with End of Summer Cocktail
This was very good and had a great heat and a slow burn. Definitely more than Chiltepin going on. Comes with "crackers' more reminiscent of Indian papadum than nacho chips. My date also really enjoyed the drink but more on the cocktails later.
Frijol Dip-1.jpg
Frijol Dip-1.jpg (414.11 KiB) Viewed 2340 times
Tacos
We tried the Tripas, Cabezas, Camaron, Pescado, and Carne Asada. The Tripas are definitely the highlight with great texture not just from the crispy chewy meat itself but also from the topping. The Camaron were also perfectly executed with a nice slaw and dressing. However, by the time you get to the third taco or maybe even the second if you like having a conversation with your date rather than just hoovering the food, the base tortilla will get pretty soggy as these definitely cannot hold up to the fillings. The carne, pescado and cabeza were fine but I guess I was disappointed because my expectations were higher than fine and the soggy tortillas did detract from the experience
Tacos.jpg
Tacos.jpg (681.75 KiB) Viewed 2340 times

Como La Flor or How to Charge $15 for a shot of Bacanora
Como La Flor.jpg
Como La Flor.jpg (341.61 KiB) Viewed 2340 times
Put a shot of Bacanora next to a burning ember and some sage on top and charge $15. We tried everything from moving the cup closer to the ember to bringing the smoke close to up while taking a sip but this just did not make any sense.

Dessert: Arroz Con Leche
There was only one dessert option and we definitely had to try it but it reminded us of muesli. It was a hodgepodge of tastes and textures. I am pretty sure this option will be swapped out for something else.

Overall Experience
We really enjoyed sitting at the bar looking into the semi-open kitchen. Service was good and friendly. However, the bartender did not know how to make the drinks. It is disconcerting to order a drink and have the person making the drink flag someone passing by asking for instructions at pretty much every step. We found out someone called in sick and she stepped in as usually she is front of the house. Totally not her fault and she did a great job. But after just having come from sitting at the bar at Mr. Baan's for some amazing tipples, this was a step down in experience.

Will we go back? I am not sure. I can have a stellar Tripa, Cabeza and carne at Taco Boys and for what we spent a really nice time at Bacanora itself. Hopefully this place finds its stride especially because some dishes are outstanding and I have hope that the all star team can right the ship.
jayj

Re: Huarachis Taqueria

Post by jayj »

Mr Baan's have their cocktails down! Hopefully the folks at Huarachis are still just finding their feet.