Wedge and Bottle

Good eating in the Valley of the Sun
ScottofStrand

I am extremely happy to have found a great new proper Cheese and Charcuterie shop in the valley! I worked for several years as a Fromagier in a French restaurant, and I CRAVE proper cheese.

I have been to the Wedge and Bottle a few times now, and it is by far the best option for cheese and cured meat I have found around town. The selection of cheese and meat is enough for me, but they ALSO have amazing sandwiches, boutique grocery items and a decent wine selection(including many local AZ wines).

On my first visit I had a these two sandwiches:

The #1 was Asiago, Prosciutto, The Girl & The Fig Black Mission Fig Jam, and Balsamic Vinegar on Marble Rye Bread. Very nice crunch from the marble rye followed by the richness of the cheese and meat and the nice tangy finish for the Fig Jam and Balsamic.

The #2 was Fresh Chevre, Fra Mani Salami Toscano, and Sicilian Cherry Tomato Spread on Multi-Grain Bread . My favorite of the two. The toasted bread and extremely soft goat's cheese were an amazing sensation. With just a bit more acidity in the finish, this could be one of my all time favorite sandwiches.

I also had 3 cheeses(Clothbound Cheddar, idiazabal, and Pt. Reyes Blue) along with Fennel Salami and Air Cured beef(Bresaola) that were both from my FAVORITE meat shop in New York, Salumeria Biellese. Truly old world artisanal sausage makers.

Can't wait to go back and spend more time here and support this wonderful little shop.
BarbaraToombs

Sounds great! Where is this??
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Wedge & Bottle
4025 E. Chandler Blvd.
Suite 44
Phoenix, AZ 85048
480-704-1255
Dominic Armato
BarbaraToombs

Ah, yes...the one in Ahwatukee! Conveniently right in my area....will get over there this weekend for sure! :)
Lunchbox

+1 for Wedge and Bottle. I'm glad they're kind of off the beaten path because my wallet would be next to empty if it were closer. Krista and Troy (the owners) are always very helpful in helping you choose things as well.
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
ScottofStrand

If you go, I forgot to mention, try the Bresaola. Air Cured Beef. Its a specialty of the Valetutti family in New York. Its expensive, but all you need is a few thin slices of this rare treat and you will be sold!
M_L

I have been there a few times and I would have to agree this place is great. I enjoyed the sandwich I got and some of the other various cheese items I picked up from there.

They have a pretty solid newsletter every week that announces what is new into the shop and other events they are having. A bit out of the way for my normal travels but great when I am in the area.
BillBuitenhuys

We went to Wedge and Bottle for our first time last Sunday. The plan was to drop in, have a sandwich and a glass of wine, pick up some munchies, and go home. Half way through the sandwich in walks a couple of friends. And then another couple. Pretty soon we'd opened a few bottles of bubbly between us, ordered cheese/charcuterie plates, and made an afternoon of it. That might turn in to a regular Sunday afternoon hangout. Nice selection of wines btg and bottles. Good array of beer too.
Lunchbox

Myself, Scott, Dom, and the wee ones had a great lunch today... I'll leave the pictures and descriptions up to Scott and Dom. If you can bring Scott here for a meal or to shop, I highly suggest it, his days as a fromagier really show that this guy knows his cheese. He picked out some really tasty stuff for us as starters before Dom and I ever got there.

My favorite bite was a cowgirl creamery sea salt cracker, a dollop of the blue cheese Scott picked, and a little bit of the Three Little Figs "Cabernet Cracked Pepper" jam. I brought home a jar of the jam, it was so interesting, you get a nice hit of the wine and then the pepper. I'm so glad Scott asked for a sweet accompaniment to our charcuterie plate.

My other fav was the Fall Sandwich. Gruyere Cheese, Turkey, and Cranberry Horseradish on Multi-Grain Bread. I think it was Dom who said: "A few simple high quality ingredients, press them in the panini press and viola you have a killer sandwich." I couldn't agree more.

Dom and Scott's pictures won't do justice to how good everything was... I'll say it again, I'm glad this is a little off the beaten path for me, or I'd be broke.

Here's a teaser picture in the meantime...
Attachments
A_PHaEMCIAAoKfF.jpg
A_PHaEMCIAAoKfF.jpg (63.2 KiB) Viewed 14495 times
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
themis

I am sorry to have missed your outing, I love to be able to tap a fromagier's expertise.

Wedge and Bottle's #1 or #7 and a glass of rose, and I am a happy girl. Bonus, being able to get the rest of the week's shopping done at TJ's afterward - because while I could probably live on their bresaola, bread, cheese, wine, and arugula, I probably shouldn't.
BillBuitenhuys

Glad you had fun, guys.

We went there again a couple of weekends ago on a Sunday. Arrived there at opening (11am) to meet up with Christina and E. A few other friends arrived and we ate and drank until closing time at 4pm. Krysta and Troy couldn't have been more accommodating to a gaggle of geeks.

Started with a wheel of Upland Farms Rush Creek Reserve, a pungent oozy cheese that is ridiculously addictive.

Krysta designed us a plate with Olli Norcino salami, Salchichon De Vic Catalonian salami, Angel's duck salami, Smoking Goose sopressata, "Mean Beans" and mustard. And other assorted goodies arrived like: Finocchiona, Bresaola and Sole Gran Queso, mini Grayson (stankiest cheese of the day but oh so good). I'm sure I forgot something. Plus numerous bottles of Scarpetta bubbly rose and Left Coast Cellars Pinot Noir.

We all ended up with an armful of goodies to take home as well. (lomo!)

Overall, quite a success....
Christina

LOVE LOVE Wedge and Bottle. Just wished I lived closer. It reminds me of a beloved spot in Boston (Formaggio) which I very much miss.

As Bill mentions above, we were there for a few hours and between the six of were able to sample lots of delicious cheese and charcuterie so I'll just post pics.

Olli Norcino salami, Salchichon De Vic Catalonian salami, Angel's duck salami, Smoking Goose sopressata, "Mean Beans" and mustard.

Finocchiona

Bresaola and Sole Gran Queso.

Uplands' Rush Creek Reserve (bought one to take home too).

Prosciutto di Parma and Mount Tam.

Took home 3 bottles of Scarpetta Spumante Brut Rosé, Belinda's pickles, Rick's Picks Smokra & Mean Beans,
Murray River salt, Left Coast Cellars Pinot Noir, Roth Kase Sole Gran Queso, Cowgirl Creamery crackers, Uplands Rush Creek Reserve, Askinosie Ecuador chocolate, Vermont Butter & Cheese Creamery Bonne Bouche, Meadow Creek Dairy Mini Grayson, Caravaglio Capers in sea salt, Johnston County Mangalitsa ham, and Finocchiona.

Even with all that, I realized I "forgot" things like boquerones and La Quercia I had planned on. But making plans for a return visit next Saturday :D
Last edited by Christina 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

themis wrote:Bonus, being able to get the rest of the week's shopping done at TJ's afterward...
We we discussing over lunch that if this was intentionally a factor in their location search, it's incredibly smart of them.

Love this place! I wish I'd gotten down there sooner. I was really taken aback... the place is much better stocked than I expected, and man, what a great selection. This is exactly the kind of place that makes me wish I knew cheese better than I do.
Cheese
Cheese
wedgenbottlecheese.jpg (61.03 KiB) Viewed 14312 times
I'm going to let Scott run these down, since I've forgotten the names of all but the Fourme d'Ambert (the bleu), which as Lunchbox mentioned, was absolutely killer with the cabernet and pepper jelly. But everything here was fabulous, and man, there's a lot in that case I'd like to try.
Lomo, Bresaola, Finocchiona
Lomo, Bresaola, Finocchiona
wedgenbottlecharcuterie.jpg (63.77 KiB) Viewed 14312 times
I was especially fond of the lomo, from Smoking Goose in Indianapolis. It's loin with a generous amount of belly fat still attached, rubbed with garlic and smoked paprika, cured, and then smoked almost into oblivion. Man, was that stuff smoky. And wonderful.
#5 - Just Grilled Cheese
#5 - Just Grilled Cheese
wedgenbottlegrilledcheese.jpg (50.27 KiB) Viewed 14312 times
I kept things simple for the Doux Drop. It's made with cheddar and gouda, so it's a nice little bit of sneaky sophistication for the young'uns :-) They also offer a few add-ons, but I decided not to push my luck.
#4 - Fresh Mozzarella, Tomato, Pesto, Onion Confit
#4 - Fresh Mozzarella, Tomato, Pesto, Onion Confit
wedgenbottletomatomozzarella.jpg (56.83 KiB) Viewed 14312 times
The little fella got through about a quarter of this before deciding that he wasn't a fan, so we all got a taste of it. The onion confit was a little sweet, which took it just a little bit out of the standard tomato/mozzarella/basil realm (not that there's anything wrong with that).
#1 - Asiago, Prosciutto, Fig Jam, Balsamic
#1 - Asiago, Prosciutto, Fig Jam, Balsamic
wedgenbottlefigprosciutto.jpg (60.29 KiB) Viewed 14312 times
#2 - Chevre, Salami, Sweet Peppers
#2 - Chevre, Salami, Sweet Peppers
wedgenbottlechevresalami.jpg (61.86 KiB) Viewed 14312 times
#6 - Fall Special - Gruyere, Turkey, Cranberry Horseradish
#6 - Fall Special - Gruyere, Turkey, Cranberry Horseradish
wedgenbottlefallspecial.jpg (56.17 KiB) Viewed 14312 times
I'm repeating my quote from above, but man... these were terrific. Each sandwich was a cheese, a couple of other high quality ingredients, good bread, sandwich press... done. So, so much more flavor than so many sandwiches that are piled with hordes of ingredients and sauces and whatever. And the pairings were all extremely thoughtful. The Fall Special was fabulous, but I might (might) have liked the chevre, salami and peppers even more. Which surprised me, because that was the one I was least excited about. Chevre and roasted red peppers is kind of a tired combo (great pair, just overused). But the quality of the ingredients, the addition of the salami, the spice that came from who knows where... I really, really enjoyed that one.
Cheese Case (Partial)
Cheese Case (Partial)
wedgenbottlecheesecase.jpg (68.81 KiB) Viewed 14312 times
That's a pretty cheese case. Wish I knew what I was looking at. There's time to learn :-)
Meat Case (Partial)
Meat Case (Partial)
wedgenbottlemeatcase.jpg (80.39 KiB) Viewed 14312 times
This stuff's a little more familiar to me... a really nice selection of hams and salamis, some Jamon Iberico de Bellota for when you feel like splurging, and--- waitaminit... what's this hiding in the back of the case?!
Mangalitsa Lardo - Salumeria Biellese
Mangalitsa Lardo - Salumeria Biellese
wedgenbottlelardo.jpg (40.22 KiB) Viewed 14312 times
Lardo, baby!!! From Salumeria Biellese in NYC. I had them slice up a little plate for us to taste :-) And oh, good god, was this fabulous. Melty, creamy, seasoned cured pig fat. I need to go back for more and do crostini. But room temp, shaved paper thin, melting on the tongue? Wow. Wowwowwow.

Like I say, I'm a little annoyed with myself for not getting down here sooner. It's such a great spot, and I can't wait to get back.
Dominic Armato
BillBuitenhuys

We went again yesterday for lunch. We started with the cheese plate of the day (Humbolt Fog, Brie de Meaux, Soumaintrain, Affidelice,Fourme d'Ambert) with cabernet pepper jelly and chutney plus a platter of Jamon Iberico. Next up was a ric, creamy tomato basil soup with the Just Cheese sandwich. Perfect!

We came home with Affidelice, Rush Creek, lomo, finocchiono, and some of that creamy lardo.

Love this place
ScottofStrand

I was really excited to see their display stocked with such a bounty of cheeses and meats on our Friday visit. If I had taken my time and gone through them all, I wouldn't have missed that the Rush Creek Reserve was from Uplands Cheese who has Pleasant Ridge Reserve, one of my all time favorite domestics. I'm headed back next week to try it out, along with the Spanish uber-bleu Cabrales, and whatever else I happened to miss on my first glance.
Cheeses
Cheeses
Cheese Board Close.jpg (47.78 KiB) Viewed 14223 times
During our trip, we went with the Affidelice from Chablis(and washed in Chablis wine), which was at its perfect soft and sticky ripeness. The Fourme D'Ambert is often my go-to for it's nice creaminess and just enough Bleu. The hard cheeses were Sbrinz, a less salty Swiss-style Parmesan, and Owl Creek Tomme Sheep's milk from Ohio, which had a nice firm smooth texture and a hint of that sheepy taste I was looking for.

In addition to the delicious Smoking Goose Lomo, we also had the Bresaola and the Finocchiona Fennel Salami from Salumeria Biellese. Oh yeah, and that Lardo! Another hidden gem tucked away in the back.

So glad to hear so many people are hitting up Wedge and Bottle. It's one of my top choices in town, too!
Christina

Have to add a picture of the Johnston County mangalitsa we had at home (with Sole Gran Queso, finnochiona, Mini Grayson, Smokra). Heavenly (thanks for rec Bill!). So silky and creamy. I'll have to pick up some lardo next weekend.

M_L

Salumeria Biellese is pretty much the only place I will get products from. I have tried many many many other ones and they are by far the best I have had. I suspect if you stick to those things will go well for you. All this Mangalitsa talk is making me hungry.

I also need to make more time for this joint. The few times I have been were not sufficient. It is just so darn overwhelming, in the best way possible.
Christina

M_L wrote: It is just so darn overwhelming, in the best way possible.
Perfect description. I literally got up every 15 minutes to take another look at which cheese I was going to order or ask about next, do the same with the charcuterie, check out wines, peruse the pantry, look at everything in the refrigerator.... and still got carried away when it was time to leave and buy a *few* things to take home. E just shook his head. ;)
Christina

Back again this weekend with two girlfriends. Another fun Saturday afternoon.

Between our choices, and suggestions from Krysta and Troy, we shared a couple of bottles of Scarpetta Spumante Brut Rose and a charcuterie plate (mangalitsa, sopressata, spicy soprressata and duck rillettes) and cheese (Marieke Smoked Cumin Gouda, Landaff Tomme, Spring Brook Farm Tarentaise, and Chablis-washed Soumaintrain from Chantal Plasse). Later we also shared a plate of Fermin jamón serrano and pata negra jamón ibérico de bellota. Dead phone, so friends' pics:

http://instagram.com/p/UHpQMcr7B5/

http://instagram.com/p/UIIjLkxyqp/

Bought some of the Scarpetta and Soumaintrain and Landaff cheeses we had tried to take home. Also, boquerones, finocchiona, crackers, Rick's Picks Phat Beets, AZ wine (AZ Stronghold Nachise and Pillsbury Roan Red), Salumeria Biellese Mangalitsa lardo, Priorat Natur Arbequina olives, Vacherin Fribourgeois, and a couple IPAs for E (Rubicon and Leinenkugel Big Eddy Imperial).
ScottofStrand

How was the duck riellettes? I think that's on my list of things to try next visit. I was really tentative about the Smoked Cumin Gouda, but it really made for an interesting taste combo. I used to be very anti-"things in cheeses", but i'm starting to see that it can be done a right way.