Valentine

The Valley of the Sun, and all that is tasty therein
Lunchbox

Valentine

Post by Lunchbox »

This place is just so f'n good. And they serve food late (full menu all the way up to 11pm), which has made for very happy post-show bellies after several recent events downtown.

Last night was a simple and straightforward sharing session with Mrs. Lunchbox. We started with an appetizer that looked interesting to me. I'm a sucker for a date and this was a tasty dish but the dates were SUPER sweet so they overpowered everything. I totally get the intention of it and it totally works, but a slightly thicker cut on the bologna would just round this out better. But that's splitting hairs. Good start to our meal.
"smoked frippers bologna with mesquite-pecan honey & wood-fired dates with pine nut miso, pomegranate agrodolce, pistachio."
dates.png
dates.png (1.54 MiB) Viewed 206 times
Mrs. Lunchbox declares the Valentine little gem salad, with sunflower vinaigrette and goatija cheese, the best salad in the city. I kind of think she's on to something here. The way Chef Donnie Hawk uses texture is pretty perfect. And it looks like it's going to be overdressed but it's not. I could eat this salad everyday. It's one of those things that you think to yourself, dammit why don't I cook like this for myself at home? Please don't ever take this off the menu Chef!
salad.png
salad.png (1.48 MiB) Viewed 206 times

Another dish that would have an uprising of customers with pitchforks and torches show up at the front door if it's ever removed from the menu. Again the texture is perfect. It tastes of corn but not too much. The pasta is always perfectly al dente with a perfect little bite.
"elote pasta, house-made tagliarini, hassayampa asiago, crispy corn, arbol"
elotepasta.png
elotepasta.png (1.54 MiB) Viewed 206 times

I wanted a protein and some potatoes. So we went with the Chicken and potatoes. I'm a sucker for dill and the herb yogurt with a bite of that hot chicken was just heavenly. I know it's just chicken but it's done with thought and perfect execution of how chicken should be done. Everything was juicy, hot, and tender. The dark meat was delicious as was the perfectly cooked breast. Great rendered fat under the skin swimming in a tasty broth with wheat berries and greens.
"smoked two wash ranch chicken, wheat berries, toasted greens, herb yogurt"
chicken.png
chicken.png (1.52 MiB) Viewed 206 times

But then I had a bite of the potatoes. Holy shit these potatoes. Easily one of the top 10 things I've eaten this year. Like I will get in my car, drive 30 miles from Gilbert to have these stupid potatoes. I'm not trying to oversell these things but dammit they hit on all sides.
"twice-cooked potatoes, yuzu aioli, charred chili verde & salsa secca"
potatoes.png
potatoes.png (1.5 MiB) Viewed 206 times

I know they have a talented pastry chef in Crystal Kass who is a 2024 James Beard semifinalist, but it was late and they were out of the dish that Mrs. Lunchbox would have tried. We had to let the dog out or I would have tried a couple of things. I'll be back soon for those potatoes anyway...

Valentine
https://www.valentinephx.com/
4130 N 7th Ave.
Phoenix, AZ 85013
info@1912phx.com
(602) 612-2961
Brownie Queen

Re: Valentine

Post by Brownie Queen »

Thanks for this. I have been meaning to get here and you've just given me a shove. I live in Estrella, but that looks worth the travel.
honartvandelay

Post by honartvandelay »

Couldn’t agree more. Over a few different menu iterations we have had some amazing meals there. I’m not a vegetarian but I live in a house with vegans and vegetarians. I think in addition to being a fantastic restaurant overall it’s also one of the best vegetarian restaurants in town. The pretzel, salads, potatoes, elote pasta, the cabbage (holy sh*t) and the cauliflower are all unbelievable. It’s probably not on your radar as a vegetarian destination but I don’t think anyone in town right now is doing vegetarian at a higher level.
jayj

Post by jayj »

I really wanted to love the elote pasta, but it fell flat for me. Maybe it was a bad night, but lacked seasoning.

You absolutely have to check out brunch at Valentine. I know ... brunch. But the pastries!! Seriously fantastic pastries. Had a scone that verged on savoury in the best possible way. And the pain au chocolate flaked all over the place in the best possible way.

Stand out brunch dish was their tamale. Incredibly light, super tasty sauce, and just such a wonderful way to highlight some fantastic ingredients.