The Eleanor — A Worthwhile Brunchy Spot near OT Scottsdale?

The Valley of the Sun, and all that is tasty therein
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

The Eleanor — A Worthwhile Brunchy Spot near OT Scottsdale?

Post by Skillet Doux »

I live right near Old Town, and the breakfast/brunch options are mostly abysmal.

Alo Cafe is delightfully quirky and delicious, and the two things (very slight exaggeration) Berdena's does, they do very well. But on the whole, breakfast fare in Old Town Scottsdale sucks, and I want to cry every time I see a crowd waiting outside The Breakfast Club.

Anyway, The Eleanor isn't Old Town Scottsdale precisely, but it's a quick five minute drive away, located right next to The Local Donut (incidentally, another great spot that should get more love). My family and I have dropped by for brunch/lunch a couple of times now, and while i don't want to oversell it, I've been pleasantly surprised by how solid of a joint it is.

This is still definitely a Scottsdale joint. New construction, light and airy, and I feel like it has kind of a Miami vibe. So long as the bachelorette parties don't mind the location, this'll fit the bill nicely.

Eleanor - French Toast.jpg
Eleanor - French Toast.jpg (408.54 KiB) Viewed 554 times

Sweet bready breakfast like French toast and pancakes has been solid. Nothing fancy, nothing exceptional, but straightforward and nicely done. They seem to be stronger with savory breakfast.

Eleanor - Eggs Blackstone.jpg
Eleanor - Eggs Blackstone.jpg (506.26 KiB) Viewed 554 times

This is their signature Benedict-esque dish, the "Eggs Blackstone," and I'd happily demolish this any Sunday morning. The muffin is a little dense, but that aside, perfect eggs, nice crispy bacon, a decent slab of tomato and a nice and light meyer lemon hollandaise applied liberally.

Eleanor - Egg Ricotta Toast.jpg
Eleanor - Egg Ricotta Toast.jpg (449.38 KiB) Viewed 554 times

I think I dig the ricotta scramble toast even more, though. Those eggs aren't quite as loose as I prefer mine, but I also know that a restaurant would have to be *very* brave to make their eggs as loose as I prefer mine. Anyway, they're loaded with butter and ricotta, dusted with Parmesan, and there's a little bit of chile crisp for kick. Gently applied. Perfect.

Eleanor - Breakfast Burrito.jpg
Eleanor - Breakfast Burrito.jpg (447.28 KiB) Viewed 554 times

The steak and eggs breakfast burrito was also pretty solid. Best part, a little surprisingly, was the steak. Quality stuff, very nicely cooked. This isn't back of the flattop carne asada.

I'm less impressed by lunch so far. The couple of sandwiches I've tried (turkey, BLT) are fine, but... fine. I can't find a compelling reason to get them when they do breakfast at lunch. Though I'd be happy and unsurprised to discover that some of the others are more exciting.

But, bottom line, I feel pretty comfortable saying that if I want typical American brunch (Alo still has my heart in the atypical category) near OT Scottsdale, this is my new spot. I'm looking forward to digging a little deeper.

The Eleanor
theeleanoraz.com
480-685-2525
3207 N. Hayden Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85251
-Dom
HoppyJoe

Re: The Eleanor — A Worthwhile Brunchy Spot near OT Scottsdale?

Post by HoppyJoe »

I'm a basic eggs / hashbrowns / toast guy and I thought it was above average. Great service as well. Thanks for sharing.
Wilbur

Re: The Eleanor — A Worthwhile Brunchy Spot near OT Scottsdale?

Post by Wilbur »

We thought the service was good, and the food also met our expectations.

I also appreciate that they re-purposed and re-modeled the existing building, incorporating several architectural items like the stone walls rather than knocking it down and building a white shoebox slap-dash against Hayden Road.

The Wilbur:
Ele 03.jpg
Ele 03.jpg (317.21 KiB) Viewed 148 times
Lots of different, complementary flavors all working together in this breakfast sandwich.
Ele 02.jpg
Ele 02.jpg (319.41 KiB) Viewed 148 times
The Eggs Blackstone:
Ele 04.jpg
Ele 04.jpg (348.35 KiB) Viewed 148 times
Also very tasty, and suitable for guests who want plain fare without too much adventure.
Ele 01.jpg
Ele 01.jpg (335.8 KiB) Viewed 148 times