Crust Brothers - Ohio Style Pizza

The Valley of the Sun, and all that is tasty therein
phxscoob

Crust Brothers - Ohio Style Pizza

Post by phxscoob »

I don't want to spam this board with every pizza place and everyone has there preference for the wood fired Neapolitan -ish style pizza around town(Lamp FTW) but there are some regional styles that I think should get some spotlight. Maybe a thread for each style - thoughts?

Anyway back to lunch yesterday. I had a little exposure to this style when visiting Ohio some 20 plus years ago. For those unfamiliar with Ohio Style Pizza, it is a thin crispy cracker crust (think matzah crispy), a less sweet sauce than Chicago thin crust(looking at you Spinatos) and toppings on top of the cheese. The cheese here also had some provolone in the mix.

I didn't get any pics, unfortunately, because I am the worst, and I was hungry. This is a great version of the style. The space is very nicely done with some photos of some iconic pizza spots around the country and movies quotes up on the walls. The music was all GenX and at a good level that you can actually have a conversation. They also have patio seating. The unexpected treat when using the bathroom is that they pipe in audio clips of iconic movie scenes. I was treated to Stripes, Top Gun and Airplane. Talking with the staff, they make all the bread for the sandwiches and dressings for the salads in house. They have been open 4 years, so all of COVID, so they must be doing something right. They just opened a second location in Tempe a year ago.

I don't know that I would choose this style every time but for me a few times a year would be a good way to mix it up.

This is on the corner of Scottsdale and Shea, where I counted at least 8 pizza places. Not sure this is some sort of Scottsdale pizza zoning ordinance or whether a couple of these locations are fronts.

Crust Brothers
7342 E Shea Blvd Suite 111, Scottsdale, AZ 85260
https://crustbrotherspizza.com/