San Diego recommendations

Traveling and dining beyond Phoenix metro
jayj

San Diego recommendations

Post by jayj »

I'm heading to San Diego was 3 days, before Thanksgiving and need some food recommendations from y'all.

I am an eater of all food—there is no food I won't try at least once. I adore seafood and all genres of food. Not a picky eater whatsoever. I just like really good food.

However, I am travelling with my husband who's a vegetarian (eats dairy and all that though) but also not a picky eater.

And, my brother-in-law, who can be a little particular, but isn't vegetarian. Doesn't do fishy tasting seafood. Eats all the meats. Mostly.

We're all really adventurous eaters. Looking for recs for breakfast, (second breakfast!), lunch, and dinner. We're thinking about having one splurge meal, if there's a place that's worth it.

Oh, if there's an Ethiopian place you can recommend in SD, we're all over that.

Thanks in advance!
LaPan

Re: San Diego recommendations

Post by LaPan »

It’s been awhile but Cafe 21 was a top spot. They used to have 2 locations but I believe one closed during Covid.

https://www.cafe-21.com/
jayj

Post by jayj »

Thank you! Will try to check 'em out and report back!
jayj

Post by jayj »

So, we didn't end up going to Cafe 21. And overall, my mind wasn't blown away by the food scene in SD. I honestly think Phoenix is a sleeper city for some great food! But here are some places that were brilliant:

Blind Lady Ale House
Great bar with a solid tap list and wonderful bar pizza.

Mothership
Quirky themed cocktail bar. The cocktails were good—not amazing. But it's worth a quick pre-dinner drink just for the vibe in there.

The Mission
The best breakfast we had in the city. Low-key spot. Best chilaquiles of the trip. Should have just gone there for every breakfast!