Bug reports, technical questions and how-tos
exit2lef

5 months ago

Question about the "new posts" link. I have that bookmarked because it seems like the quickest way to see what's new on the board without having to navigate deep into folders for specific topics. Sometimes, it will keep showing me a post it has identified as new even after I've seen it a few times. At other times, I've noticed it has failed to surface a post as new, even though I have not seen it yet.

My question, then: Is "new" based on some sort of personalized read / unread status for posts, or is it just based on how much time has elapsed? If so, how long?
BenLagom
Site Admin

5 months ago

The forums for phpbb say it's supposed to show you what's new since last time you logged in. And there are a lot of complaints about it not behaving as expected. Active topics might suit your needs better, it just lists the most recent activity on the board.

Some of it might be down to how I've got the server running, phpbb is set to run its background tasks every 5 minutes, but search indexing is happening once an hour. I might have to make that happen more often.

EDIT: Although I just tested by making a new post then deleting it, it showed up in New and Active topics immediately, for me at least.
exit2lef

5 months ago

Thanks. I think I'm going to try bookmarking "unread posts" and seeing if that behaves more predictably.