Bagels

Good eating in the Valley of the Sun
artvandelay

1 week ago

Until Dom decides to do one of his amazing deep dives into bagels (hint hint) wondering where folks are getting bagels from these days. We have really enjoyed Bongiorno Bagels in Chandler/Gilbert and Odelay Bagels, which are available once a week in central Phoenix at Nelson’s. I know Bagel Man got a lot of love on here a few years ago and I remember them as being quite good. Anywhere else people are enjoying these days?
BenLagom
Site Admin

1 week ago

I've heard great things about Super Chunk.

https://azpbs.org/platepour/2019/01/pla ... ts-treats/
exit2lef

1 week ago

artvandelay wrote:
1 week ago
...Odelay Bagels, which are available once a week in central Phoenix at Nelson’s.
I've never been to Odelay's own bakery and shop in Ahwatukee, but I've enjoyed their bagels at Desert Roots Kitchen in Tempe. They're not available every day, but when they are, DRK will serve them toasted on their own or make a bagel sandwich such as this creation on a pumpernickel everything bagel.
IMG_6814.jpeg
IMG_6814.jpeg (96.3 KiB) Viewed 198 times
Sadly, I can't think of a good boil-and-bake bagel place in central Phoenix. It's definitely a void waiting to be filled. I have fond memories of visiting Siegel's in Vancouver and wish we had more Montreal-style bagel shops here.
IMG_5953.jpeg
IMG_5953.jpeg (129.15 KiB) Viewed 198 times
Odelay Bagel Co.
12020 S Warner Elliot Loop, Phoenix, AZ 85044
(480) 404-3457
http://www.odelaybagel.com/

Desert Roots Kitchen
414 S Mill Ave #111, Tempe, AZ 85281
(480) 382-0228
artvandelay

1 week ago

wish we had more Montreal-style bagel shops here.
Couldn’t agree with this more. A couple of months ago a relative from Montreal brought me two dozen fresh bagels from St. Viateur. They were amazing.
LaPan

1 week ago

Thanks for some new ideas on this thread.

My $.02 (and full disclosure) I seem to be a major bagel-nerd.

SuperChunk (and any "everything" bagel ) is hard to judge bagel quality. It's like a NY style pizza with loads of toppings - you can't judge a pie that way. For me, if the water bagel (plain bagel for the uninitiated) is good, then we've got something. And if they don't have a water bagel, they're hiding something. Also, Montreal bagels are another animal - like deep dish and pizza (NOT THE SAME) - so I'm mixing those qualities in my determination.

I've yet to try Odelay when they've had fresh bagels. I just happened on them one afternoon.

I've tried KneadABagel viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2170 and they're ok but nothing to write home about

Just noticed Bongiorno Bagels in Chandler/Gilbert so will have to give them a go.

Have tried and didn't like: NY Bagels & Bialys, Bagel Nosh, Einsteins (yech!), Back East Bagels, Chompie's

For me, tops is still The Bagel Man for texture and taste. But, they're waaaay too big. Instead of being a nice setting for toppings, it's a big hunk of bread that is like having a loaf with your meal. I guess most people like it (like they do Subway) because it's very filling on a nickel. Also, if you're looking for BL&CC, it's Costco lox so it's not good.

Looking forward to trying some of these new places! And Dom's deep dive (I second that hint).
bharbeke

1 week ago

I find merit in different types of places: Bagel Man, Chompies, Einstein Bros., and Bagel Nosh are all places I enjoy.
Brandon
exit2lef

1 week ago

LaPan wrote:
1 week ago
Also, Montreal bagels are another animal - like deep dish and pizza (NOT THE SAME) - so I'm mixing those qualities in my determination.
Despite growing up near NYC, I’ve always considered Montreal the place that defines bagels. Your comment about Montreal bagels being different had me intrigued, so I found this:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/e ... /84599164/

I guess it’s the wood-fired oven that makes the difference for me.
artvandelay

1 week ago

exit2lef

1 week ago

^Totally off the topic of bagels, but that classic Seinfeld clip made me wonder about the status of Kenny Rogers Roasters. Apparently, the chain now exists predominantly in Asia with only one U.S. location left in California.