What’s your favorite spots in Gilbert

The Valley of the Sun, and all that is tasty therein
prestonclarke09

What’s your favorite spots in Gilbert

Post by prestonclarke09 »

:idea: Some of my favorite are tap n tikka, cafe bangkok and fire & brimstone (for the BYOB of course)

What’s some of your hidden gyms
Nightbloom

Re: What’s your favorite spots in Gilbert

Post by Nightbloom »

So, what makes the food stand out for you at these spots?

I've had a few dishes at Cafe Bankok and definitely remember that I enjoyed them, but I don't remember much else. Oh, I do recall a crab curry special that was not the greatest quality crab, but was loaded with wilty bitter betel leaf--that was interesting and, aside from the crab itself, great!
Last edited by Nightbloom on Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Post by Skillet Doux »

Welcome! Happy first post :-)
prestonclarke09 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:04 pm :idea: Some of my favorite are tap n tikka, cafe bangkok and fire & brimstone (for the BYOB of course)
What do you like about them? Favorite dishes? What makes them stand out for you? If there's a place you really love, get a topic started so everybody can trade notes! One of the nice things about a format like PHXfoodnerds is that topics live on for years, with people always referring back to them and adding more to them. It ends up being so much more useful than when everybody shouts quick responses and moves on.

I agree about Cafe de Bangkok. I've been there a couple of times and had a few really nice dishes there. It's definitely operating at a higher level than the typical Ameri-Thai joint. I'll get a thread going on that one tonight unless you beat me to it :-D

We have a thread started on Source, Claudio Urciuoli's new(ish) joint at Agritopia, which is just outstanding in every possible way.

Caldwell Country is one of my favorite BBQ spots in town, particularly for the brisket. LMBBQ is still my benchmark, but man, it's awfully close :-)

Gilbert House is a bit of an overlooked joint for really straightforward breakfast food, I think. Zero fancy. Just good.

But that's a tough part of town. A lot of mediocre local chains opening up even more mediocre second locations. I’m interested to hear what others enjoy.

I expect Lunchbox will have a lot to say when he gets back from Wisconsin :-D
-Dom
BillBuitenhuys

Post by BillBuitenhuys »

Tell me more about fire + brimstone please. Very interested in finding byos.

We mostly avoid downtown restaurants with the exception of an occasional Farmhouse for breakfast or Clever Koi (which has arguably the best cocktails downtown).

Borgiorno Bagels is solid.
We go to Blue 32 which isnt anything amazing but they make fresh, solid pub grub.
We've had a couple of good post-Undertow munchies at Belly.
Lunchbox

Post by Lunchbox »

Skillet Doux wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:10 pm I expect Lunchbox will have a lot to say when he gets back from Wisconsin :-D
Ummm... They do have the internet in Wisconsin now... :lol:

Oh man so much to say on this one...

As was mentioned above, it is a veritable wasteland of chain restaurants but there is some good stuff to be found...

I've said it before, I'll say it again, you can throw a rock in PHX metro in any direction and wherever it lands you'll find outstanding pizza. Fire + Brimstone is one of those places. Don't sleep on some of the food items next door at Garage East either. (I don't think the Tostilocos are on the menu anymore but they were bangin!) It's so much fun to sit and drink wine (Garage East) or a beer (next door at 12 West Brewing) and maybe grab a pizza from Fire + Brimstone. Is it the very best you've ever had? No. But it's all damn good in a really fun setting.

Caldwell County BBQ is awesome. I agree that LMB has an edge but for us out here in the 'burbs it's as good as it's gonna get. I actually have a little more fun at Caldwell County Mexi-Q on Gilbert Road. It's the same BBQ you know and love with a Mexican twist. Brisket Birria Tacos? YES PLEASE! Grab a friend, order a Mexi-Q twinkie and a sampler platter and go to town.

Flancers has a great sandwich every now and again.

The White Rabbit Speakeasy is also amazing for cocktails. Just make sure you look up the password before you go.

Chicago-style pizza? I'm glad you asked. A lot of people like Salernos. I'm not one of those people. Their crust is cardboard (read=shite) but they use a lot of cheese so when it's cold it's a good hangover snack. Buddyz used to be my go to but they split up into two separate factions: Veros Pizza and Crave Pizza. Veros is OK and it's more of a "normal" restaurant experience. But IMO Crave is better pizza. It's just a tiny spot with one big table for 6 and counter seating for maybe 12-15. And if you want to split hairs it's technically in East Mesa but we'll count it since Gilbert is across the street. So carry out is usually the best option. Thin crust, tavern style is my jam and they do it right.

Sam and Luca is also technically Mesa but again, Gilbert is literally across the street. I love their lasagna lately but you can read about it on the thread here.

There's a place on GIlbert and Guadalupe called Taqueria Blue Tortilla that has tacos al-pastor off of a trompo and they're good. I just find that you have to Frankenstein your order to get it right. Ask for green sauce on the side, order them street taco style, etc. So it might take some work but once you find the right combo they're delicious.

I'm sure I'll think of more and come back to this... I'm in WI mode trying to load up on cheese and other midwestern delights so my brain is on vacation.
honartvandelay

Post by honartvandelay »

Just another vote for Borgiorno Bagels. Definitely up there as some of the best bagels in the Valley.
Nightbloom

Post by Nightbloom »

honartvandelay wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:27 pm ...Borgiorno Bagels. Definitely up there as some of the best bagels in the Valley.
I'm intrigued.
honartvandelay

Post by honartvandelay »

It is a classic oversized New York style bagel but if that’s your jam, then this place is great. We live in central Phoenix and make trips every so often to pick them up. I prefer Bagelfields but that is a very different bagel.
Nightbloom

Post by Nightbloom »

honartvandelay wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:30 pm I prefer Bagelfields but that is a very different bagel.
Okay, worth a try, thanks! I'm not a fan of Bagelfields, though they do make killer cream cheese flavors!