Tomatowatch 2012

Cooking at home and sourcing ingredients
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

I need tomatoes.

Really, really good ones. I don't mean the "heirloom" tomatoes that exist to allow Safeway to charge you $5/lb for the same old mealy pieces of junk. And I don't mean pretty good tomatoes. I mean knee-buckling only at summer's peak tomatoes. I mean almost making you forget there's B and L in your BLT tomatoes. I mean make a pasta sauce with them and butter and salt and that's it tomatoes. I feel like I haven't had awesome ones since I moved out here, but I know they exist. I think they're just harder to come by.

So can we keep this thread rolling through the summer and put out the alert when we run across really good ones? Better eating for all.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
BarbaraToombs

7 years ago

Oh boy...will I be anxious to hear the responses to THIS! (and no tomato-hoarding allowed, Dom! ;-))
grrlscout

7 years ago

My yellow pear tomatoes are ripe. ;)

The Zapotec Pleateds are just now fruiting, and the Chiapas Wild tomatoes haven't even bloomed yet.

At market, I cannot say. :mrgreen:
~ Korina
gardener | forager | permie | maker of things
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

I realize that "grow your own" is probably the advice I should have followed months ago :-/

I actually tried that last year, with disastrous results. Nonetheless! I'm hoping to share some market intel.

(I'm also insanely jealous.)
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
gritsnyc

7 years ago

I also need market intel as we have yet to find a place in our yard where tomatoes will flourish.
meleyna

7 years ago

I've bought my tomato plants from Costco the past two years. I literally stick them in the ground and set the timer for the sprinklers. As long as I set up netting to keep the birds away, I don't do much else. The Brandywines are delicious right now. The kiddo and I head outside with the salt, pluck them off of the plants, rinse with the hose, and eat.
kmccauley

7 years ago

One Windmill Farm tomatoes sold at the saturday farmer's market at Central & Northern. I would imagine they are at other farmer's markets also. I would give them a call. They are excellent tomatoes! They are the tomatoes Chris Bianco uses.
M_L

7 years ago

I read that McClendon is stepping up their tomatoes at Town and Country market I did not make it this week but probably will next week.
Desert Gal

5 years ago

Skillet Doux wrote:I need tomatoes.

Really, really good ones.
I do believe I can hook you up this spring. :-D
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

Desert Gal wrote:
Skillet Doux wrote:I need tomatoes.

Really, really good ones.
I do believe I can hook you up this spring. :-D
As if you weren't already my hero.