Bug reports, technical questions and how-tos
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

This one's for you, exit2lef :-)

Sorry it took so long, folks. Partly a function of resizing avatars being trickier than resizing regular images, and partly a function of the fellow from whom I've been getting help sending me the final code just as work completely blew up. In any case, it's finally fixed.

Now, when you add an avatar, if the image dimensions are too large, they'll automatically be downsampled to the maximum size of 90x90. There's a theoretical limit to how large the image can be for the resize function to handle it (please don't test this), but I think the limit's large enough that I'd be very surprised if anybody hit it.

If you haven't yet added an avatar, please test it out and let me know if you have any issues! To do so, click on "User Control Panel" on the left side of the header bar, then on the "Profile" tab, and "Edit Avatar."

As always, a full list of features that have been added to the board can be found in the New Features List
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
uhockey

7 years ago

30 Megapixel Avatar coming right up - saved as RAW JPG and edited substantially with Photoshop to maximize upload size.
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

uhockey wrote:30 Megapixel Avatar coming right up - saved as RAW JPG and edited substantially with Photoshop to maximize upload size.
Did I mention the next mod in line is one click ban?

:-)
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
exit2lef

7 months ago

Here's what might seem a dumb question, but I simply cannot figure this out. How do board members reduce profile photos to the postage stamp dimensions allowed: 90 x 90, 49 kb max? I don't have a single photo with dimensions that small, and if I try to crop something, I end up with just a picture of my nose. I use the native photos software on the Mac OS. Perhaps this is something done through a more robust application like Photoshop, which I find overwhelming to the point of being unusable. Is there any easy way I am overlooking to reduce the file size of photos? The automatic avatar resizing mentioned above, albeit six years ago, does not appear to be functioning on the new platform.
LaPan

7 months ago

exit2lef

7 months ago

LaPan wrote:
7 months ago
Go to https://tinypng.com
Thank you for the suggestion; however, I tried two photos and neither was reduced in file size enough to fit within the microscopic dimensions this site demands.
BenLagom
Site Admin

7 months ago

I'll play with the avatar settings when I get home tonight. When I uploaded my avatar after I got things running it was automatically resized, I don't know what changed.
BenLagom
Site Admin

7 months ago

I must have manually resized my avatar and not thought much about it.

I found a current version of Avatar Resize, the site will now accept images of any size and automatically scale them.
exit2lef

7 months ago

BenLagom wrote:
7 months ago
I must have manually resized my avatar and not thought much about it.

I found a current version of Avatar Resize, the site will now accept images of any size and automatically scale them.
It worked -- not only was my avatar resized, but I also look two decades younger! Of course, using a photo from the '90s might also have helped.