CFDM 'Road Tripping' Round 1: Donuts V Fruit Pies

Food news, food media and other food-related topics

Gas Station Pastry Craving: Gimme a ...

Poll ended at 8 years ago

Fruit Pie! I don't even care about the post-nuclear apocalypse shelf life.
8%
8%
8%
Donuts; they are at least made fresh sometime in the last week.
6%
6%
6%
Ugh, a stale donut is a sad state. I'll take that other thing.
2%
2%
2%
Ever looked at the nutrition info on the side of a fruit pie? Holy shit, y'all.
8%
8%
8%
OMG, how do they get sixty grams of saturated fat in there?!?
2%
2%
2%
Well, first there's preserved fruit or pudding, then a shortening-based crust, which is then deep-fried, and then ... glazed. Mummification is a less comprehensive process, frankly.
4%
Well, first there's preserved fruit or pudding, then a shortening-based crust, which is then deep-fried, and then ... glazed. Mummification is a less comprehensive process, frankly.
4%
4%
No wonder they don't have expiration dates. Hm, but they're tasty.
No votes
No votes
No votes
Whew, I thought you were going to say Moon Pie. Can't turn those down.
No votes
No votes
No votes
I am fussy about donuts and/or pie flavor and I will qualify my statement below.
4%
I am fussy about donuts and/or pie flavor and I will qualify my statement below.
4%
4%

Total votes: 51
themis

This is a poll, you can't see it on Tapatalk. This bracket is all about things you can't help but pick up in gas stations when you've got a long day of driving, but might not normally eat. Those nostalgic junk food indulgences which help the miles roll by. Or maybe you buy this stuff every day on the way to work, who knows. No judging, right.
PHXeater

I find post-nuclear expiration dates a good thing. We need to eat something after the zombie apocalypse. Or perhaps I've been watching too much Walking Dead. I think that because I had a serious "we should learn bow hunting" conversation recently.
M_L

PHXeater wrote:...Or perhaps I've been watching too much Walking Dead. I think that because I had a serious "we should learn bow hunting" conversation recently.
Yes you have and it is not that difficult, knock, draw, aim, release. The only hard part is hitting your intended target.

DONUTS RULE pies drool.
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

PHXeater wrote:I think that because I had a serious "we should learn bow hunting" conversation recently.
Brave, Hunger Games, Tomb Raider... it's all the rage.
Dominic Armato
Lunchbox

This thread just makes me miss Hostess products in general... Thank (whatever deity you subscribe to) for the Metropoulos family... First they save PBR and now Hostess...

Go fruit pies!
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
themis

Just a clarification, I am counting the various glazed bakery pudding pies in here with the fruit pies. Checking the carb content, they are about the same kind of animal. But the best one is always boysenberry, or lemon, if you can get it.

And see, I know what's in them ... but when I'm on a long road trip and the nav is not pulling up any Dairy Queens along my route, I will resort to a fruit pie when I can't get a mini Blizzard. I always feel I need some kind of sweet reward for putting up with the rest of traveling America on the long-ass ridiculous two-lane stretches of I-10, I-17, etc.

Donuts - if very fresh I may, very rarely, opt for an apple fritter or a boston creme. Only the custard-filled, I hate when they put white greasy frosting instead.
Lunchbox

Doughnuts are too inconsistent, especially when traveling... You know what you're getting with the mass produced pie every time you open up the bag... I don't know how you can't vote pie using that logic...
-- LBX

Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Lunchbox wrote:Doughnuts are too inconsistent, especially when traveling... You know what you're getting with the mass produced pie every time you open up the bag... I don't know how you can't vote pie using that logic...
Good point. I'm changing my vote.
Dominic Armato
BarbaraToombs

I took "donuts" to mean the mass produced, pre-packaged Hostess stuff you get, which would be just as consistent as the fruit pies, I should think.
donuts400.jpg
donuts400.jpg (15.28 KiB) Viewed 3660 times
So maybe someone should consider changing their vote back?? ;)
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Oooooo, another good point. Those chocolate-coated Entemann's donuts are like crack. Or at least they were... the last time I had them... in high school.
Dominic Armato
M_L

What Barb said. So easily swayed Dom.
themis

Ew, boxed chocolate donuts leave that waxy coating in your mouth. They should make them out of something other than tallow.
Lunchbox

You raise a valid argument Barb... However, have you ever inhaled while eating a powdered donut? That does not end well... Anyone want to change their vote now?
-- LBX

azhotdish

I used to ride my bike (uphill both ways, in the snow) many miles for fruit pies and root beer as a kid. I wish I could remember the brand - there were some good ones in MN / WI.
---
Joel
@azhotdish
BarbaraToombs

Lunchbox wrote:You raise a valid argument Barb... However, have you ever inhaled while eating a powdered donut? That does not end well... Anyone want to change their vote now?
If you're trying to say fruit pies are less hazardous to your health, Zach, that is a VERY pathetic argument! :D