CFDM 'Pantry Shame' Round 1: Spaghetti Sauce V Minute Rice

Food news, food media and other food-related topics

I Cringe To Admit, However I Still Want It Around: Jarred Spaghetti Sauce or Minute Rice?

Poll ended at 8 years ago

Jarred sauce has its uses, you have to admit
8%
8%
8%
Dominic Armato just unfriended you for that.
5%
5%
5%
Minute Rice is not that bad, right-? Frozen microwaveable varieties are practically indistinguishable from fresh.
3%
Minute Rice is not that bad, right-? Frozen microwaveable varieties are practically indistinguishable from fresh.
3%
3%
4%
4%
4%
No judging! I thought there was no judging!
1%
1%
1%
The guy totes around a Zojirushi fuzzy logic rice maker, I thought you knew.
4%
4%
4%
What does fuzzy logic even mean-? I suspect it's almost meaningless jargon.
3%
3%
3%
A pre-made sauce in a glass jar may actually be better for you than canned tomatoes stewing in their own BPA-drenched juices, so, having the jarred may actually be smart.
3%
A pre-made sauce in a glass jar may actually be better for you than canned tomatoes stewing in their own BPA-drenched juices, so, having the jarred may actually be smart.
3%
3%
Yeah, but scratch doesn't take much work at all-! I am drawing a line.
4%
4%
4%

Total votes: 78
themis

This is a poll, you can't see it on Tapatalk. This bracket is all about things you know you shouldn't have in there but sometimes you've just got to resort to. The things you push to a back corner when you've got company coming over. The things you maybe ought to hand in your FoodNerd card for even owning, but they find their way into your grocery cart anyway.
BarbaraToombs

Phew! Thank God boil-in-bag rice wasn't included! ;) (I resort to that now and then...but the brown, healthy variety!) LOL

Jarred spaghetti sauces have come a LONG way since Ragu (was that the first?), and I still often reach for the better ones to have on hand...but I admit I almost always "doctor" them up a bit with this and that, depending what I have on hand.
PHXeater

This is hard because these are two pantry items that I actually use for convenience and never make the real way. I've never made homemade spaghetti sauce since I rarely do red sauce stuff at home but I usually have a jar of spaghetti sauce on hand - and i definitely do doctor it up the once a month or so i use it. I use Trader Joe's frozen brown rice weekly with my "stir fry" (in quotes because I do it weekly to use up produce that is getting old and it is not a gourmet dish). It's actually pretty good, the portion size is perfect for 2 people and when I'm covering it with every random veggie from my fridge it doesn't matter much anyways.