CFDM 'Meatatarian' Round 1: Spam V Scrapple

Food news, food media and other food-related topics

It's mystery meat canned or chubbed. Which do you crave?

Poll ended at 8 years ago

Spam. Salty breakfast meat goodness.
8%
8%
8%
Scrapple. My Yankee leanings are deeply inbred.
3%
3%
3%
Wait, what is scrapple exactly -? Can I mentally substitute canned corned beef?
No votes
No votes
No votes
You don't want to really know, and, no.
No votes
No votes
No votes
Aren't they both kind of gross?
10%
10%
10%
Well, one is salty pork forcemeat and the other is salty fatty forcemeat, so, yes.
3%
Well, one is salty pork forcemeat and the other is salty fatty forcemeat, so, yes.
3%
3%
Confession: I don't really get the retro-hipster Polynesian appeal of Spam.
1%
1%
1%
You realize that themis and the Cosmic Jester just unfriended you for that, right?
1%
You realize that themis and the Cosmic Jester just unfriended you for that, right?
1%
1%
Scrapple, but only Josh Hebert's version at Posh.
No votes
No votes
No votes
Posh scrapple doesn't count. This is a gross meat throwdown, no high-end versions are competing. Hey, I wonder if we can talk Charleen Badman into Frankensteining up for Spam for LNL-? Sounds yummy.
7%
Posh scrapple doesn't count. This is a gross meat throwdown, no high-end versions are competing. Hey, I wonder if we can talk Charleen Badman into Frankensteining up for Spam for LNL-? Sounds yummy.
7%
7%

Total votes: 72
themis

Bracket # 2 of the Convenience Food Death Match is live-! Spout off or sit down and shut up. This is a poll, so look at it on a real browser, okay? Only poll votes count.
azhotdish

Mustard and/grape jelly with scrapple.

But being from MN, Spam wins.
---
Joel
@azhotdish
themis

Okay, so, I have never witnessed Scrapple, properly prepared, on a plate. Is it fried up with a crispy crust, like a meat hash brown? Are the mustard and jelly mixed together, like that 1950s "Swedish" meatball dish?
M_L

Mmmmm delicious leftover junk, scrapple is delicious.
The Cosmic Jester

Mmmm, lovely SPAM. Especially in musubi. I ever make it to a PHXFN potluck, remind me that I agreed to bring a big honking platter of them.

Key to SPAM deliciousness is that it must be crisped in a pan before doing anything else with it. If you skip that step, the flavor and texture are off-putting at best.
BarbaraToombs

I must confess, I've never had either, at least to my knowledge (although God knows what was force-fed me as a child in Michigan...).

So I feel I am not qualified to vote. But: GROSS.
olllllo

I like that Spam Misubi sits out in convenience store check out counters un-refrigerated. Truly a convenience or death situation.
¡Salud!

Rob
I do beer things and wine things.
Director Arizona Craft Brewers Guild
Board Member Arizona Wine Growers Association

@olllllo
themis

The sodium kills the bacteria-! Very few halophilic bacterial strains out there.
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Since I'm unable to locate my own photos of the installation, I'll link to the artist's gallery:

The Seven Ages of Spam
Dominic Armato
Lunchbox

That Spam with the Playa dust all over it looks disgusting... (Of course, from what I understand, Playa dust is not pleasant in any form...)

Anywho... I was up with Arden at his 5 a.m. feeding watching the ABC 15 morning news... This commercial came on and I thought it was good timing... Also, who are they targeting at 5 a.m.?

I'm not a huge fan of ham in my mac and cheese and I don't know if Spam would be much better...
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Lunchbox wrote:That Spam with the Playa dust all over it looks disgusting... (Of course, from what I understand, Playa dust is not pleasant in any form...)
For better or worse, it causes your hair to freeze solid about 18 hours in -- like, three cans of Aqua Net solid. And five years later, you'll still be finding small piles of it in your car.
Dominic Armato