CFDM 'Lazy Git Dinner' Bracket Round 1: Froz Pizza V Nachos

Food news, food media and other food-related topics

When I am a lazy git and cannot be arsed to make dinner; do I reach for: frozen pizza, or nachos?

Poll ended at 8 years ago

Frozen pizza. It works so well in that expensive Breville convection toaster oven taking up real estate on the counter.
12%
Frozen pizza. It works so well in that expensive Breville convection toaster oven taking up real estate on the counter.
12%
12%
Nachos, fool. I can dial in my favorite toppings.
8%
8%
8%
Easily a dozen terrific real pizza options in this city, so if I am stuck at home not cooking - I would prefer to fallback on nachos.
No votes
Easily a dozen terrific real pizza options in this city, so if I am stuck at home not cooking - I would prefer to fallback on nachos.
No votes
No votes
Nacho assembly takes actual work, so - I will default to the pre-made pizza.
3%
3%
3%
have I mentioned that there are no decent nachos in Houston-? It is all Tex-Mex there. Feh and meh.
2%
have I mentioned that there are no decent nachos in Houston-? It is all Tex-Mex there. Feh and meh.
2%
2%
Since I cannot tolerate inauthenticity of any kind in my kitchen, I will have to research what authentic nachos are before I respond.
No votes
Since I cannot tolerate inauthenticity of any kind in my kitchen, I will have to research what authentic nachos are before I respond.
No votes
No votes
I don't care what you call it, I'm hungry. Put it in my belly.
7%
7%
7%
Neither. Processed food - not my thing.
No votes
No votes
No votes
Not your best poll, themis. Hopefully the other four slots in this bracket or the other three brackets are more entertaining-?
2%
Not your best poll, themis. Hopefully the other four slots in this bracket or the other three brackets are more entertaining-?
2%
2%

Total votes: 60
themis

It's the PFN version of March Madness brought to you by yours truly. Trash talking, whining, and physical challenges encouraged. Make your voice heard or forever cringe in passivity. We have seven days to decide the first round.

I have three other brackets with eight contenders each set up to go, should I spread those out over the spring months or deluge the board with threads-? Not being a sports fan of any kind, I am not cognizant of how these tourneys normally run.

PS: CFDM stands for Convenience Food Death Match. Brackets are: Lazy Git Dinner, Gas Station Delicacy, Guilty Pleasures, and Meatatarians.
Tim H

After living abroad for four years, I craved just one thing when I came home: Totino's frozen pizza. It's a gift from the gods.
There is nothing either good or bad but gravy makes it so. - Kevin Hearne
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Despite my answer, I would like to state for the record that the Gino's East frozen pizzas are a brutal tease.

Also, I think nachos are more work than what I normally make for dinner.
Dominic Armato
themis

See, nachos are my go-to when my guy's on a trip. The ingredients are always around the house. HowEVer, if there were no good pizza to be had anywhere, I would crave a nice processed chemical-laden domestic frozen pizza something fierce. Corn and mayo don't belong on pizza, y'all. Eeesh.
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

My other problem is that if I'm going to make guilty pleasure nachos, I need about a pint of sour cream, and I never seem to have a pint of sour cream. If somebody develops shelf stable sour cream, my nacho consumption could conceivably increase tenfold.
Dominic Armato
themis

I think this begs the question: what DO you normally make for dinner-?

I do not spend the nacho calories on sour cream. For me, it's yet another cheese delivery vehicle.
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

themis wrote:I think this begs the question: what DO you normally make for dinner-?
Diabetic in the house, so lots of grilled meats, roasted vegetables, big pot braises, some fish... it's an exaggeration, but not without a kernel of truth. If I were just melting grated cheddar over tortilla chips, easy peasy. But then I want some ground beef, and I want lots of diced onion, and some diced tomato, and I need to slice some pickled jalapenos, and crap, I'm out of sour cream so I have to go across the street for that, and now this is too much work and I'm reaching for the Cheerios and Special K Red Berries (70/30, BTW).
Dominic Armato
azhotdish

I used to love Tombstone pizza. Now the sodium just scares me.

Nachos. Or tot-chos.
---
Joel
@azhotdish
M_L

While Tex-Mex is utter rubbish one of the things they can do aside from make terrific fajita meat is round up some nacho's.
But man they are just so easy to do at home. The key is in the layering of levels IMO. These places just pile the stuff on there, to be truly magnificent nachos one must make layers like lasagna.

Also the Breville oven works pretty damn well for nacho's too.
Last edited by M_L 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
PHXeater

'chos! It's so easy for me to throw random foods or leftovers on to make some decent nachos. Frozen pizza always leaves me yearning for the real thing - even if the "real thing" is dominos.
Lunchbox

Fancy dancy toaster oven? No thank you... I'm the (shamefully) proud owner of one of these... Talk about wasting counter space!?!?! :lol:

Have I mentioned how much I love the YouTube Embed option?
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Lunchbox wrote:Fancy dancy toaster oven? No thank you... I'm the (shamefully) proud owner of one of these.
:shock:

I suddenly feel better about the Hot Pocket Diet.
Dominic Armato
BarbaraToombs

Frozen pizza hands-down. These days there are lots of better options than there used to be, and chances are, if you're resorting to/craving one of these, you've probably been drinking, so who cares anyway? ;)
M_L

azhotdish wrote:I used to love Tombstone pizza. Now the sodium just scares me.
Tombstones are money town.

Even better than Zach's ridiculous uni-task pizza maker.
themis

Neck and neck! I thought this one would be hard to call.

Dom, you are putting way too much work into your nachos. If I want something brown on mine, I open a can of black beans, drain, rinse, done.
M_L wrote:The key is in the layering of levels IMO. These places just pile the stuff on there to be truly magnificent nachos one must make layers like lasagna.
This is absolutely true. No simple dumping of ingredients; must rustle chips to lie semi-horizontally, scatter toppings, add more chips, top again.
olllllo

I have an official Tombstone pizza oven in the garage for just such occasions. Still, I often settle for just chips, cheese and a few jalapenos.
¡Salud!

Rob
I do beer things and wine things.
Director Arizona Craft Brewers Guild
Board Member Arizona Wine Growers Association

@olllllo
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

themis wrote:Dom, you are putting way too much work into your nachos.
themis wrote:This is absolutely true. No simple dumping of ingredients; must rustle chips to lie semi-horizontally, scatter toppings, add more chips, top again.
Offered without comment.
Dominic Armato
themis

You wind up with a whole pan to wash. Dude. Too much.
Lunchbox

themis wrote:You wind up with a whole pan to wash. Dude. Too much.
One pan?
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
M_L

Psh I assemble mine on the plate I will be eating them from.