2013 JBF Semifinalists

Food news, food media and other food-related topics
Lunchbox

The 2013 James Beard Award Semifinalists were annouced this morning. Here's the local talent nominated...

Outstanding Restaurateur:
Sam Fox, Fox Restaurant Concepts (Olive & Ivy, True Food Kitchen, Zinburger, etc.), Phoenix

Outstanding Restaurant
Vincent on Camelback, Phoenix

Best Chef: Southwest
Kevin Binkley, Binkley’s Restaurant, Cave Creek, AZ
Shinji Kurita, ShinBay, Scottsdale, AZ

[The extension pdf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
M_L

Lunchbox wrote:Outstanding Restaurant
Vincent on Camelback, Phoenix
Every time I see this I feel like there is something I am missing. I like the restaurant and I think it is good but I would not say it is outstanding, certainly not more outstanding than many other places in town.
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Outstanding Restaurant seems like kind of a wonky list in general. I'd like to know, officially speaking, what the criteria are supposed to be.

Love seeing Kurita up there.
Dominic Armato
SimpleCaveman

I have not had the opportunity to eat at Binkley's but certainly am well aware of his rep regionally.

Shinbay is, quite simply, the best restaurant in this town. If you want to make an argument that Master Shin stands out because his joint is the bright spot in a city over-run with round-eye sushi I'm happy to listen but I believe if Shinbay was in NYC or San Francisco or Chicago people would be falling all over themselves to get in.

And say what you'd like about Fox Restaurant Concepts -- and I've heard it all over bourbons at Shady's -- but I suppose at some point you can't argue with his success. Clearly he's tapped into something around here.

As for Vincent's...never eaten there. All I know is what I've heard from folks I trust. So I can't say I get it. But I imagine folks in Chicago might wonder the same about Spiaggia being on the same list. War horses for sure. The culinary equivalent of Jethro Tull beating Metallica at the Grammys.
BarbaraToombs

SimpleCaveman wrote:As for Vincent's...never eaten there. All I know is what I've heard from folks I trust. So I can't say I get it. But I imagine folks in Chicago might wonder the same about Spiaggia being on the same list. War horses for sure. The culinary equivalent of Jethro Tull beating Metallica at the Grammys.
Hahaha...exactly! The fact that Vincent's is on this list is kinda weird to me. I love him, but it just seems so "yesterday's news."

Kevin Binkley and Shinji Kurita's nominations are extremely well-deserved.

Sam Fox...personally not a fan of his places, but, as someone stated above, you can't argue with the fact that the guy's been a huge success at what he's done as a "restaurateur."
Dapuma

props for Shinbay, hope he wins - not that Binkley's isn't great as well

I have no idea how Vincent's made that list, unless it is a worst of list :mrgreen:

Sam Fox - He know's his business and True Food is usually pretty solid and healthy

For Bar Programs, why is Smugglers Cove not on there - my friend was at Canon and said it is pretty awesome

Is Canlis getting on the nomination list because Top Chef used it as a staging area for the first half of the season?
Lunchbox

Well the cuts have been made... Congrats to Chef Binkley for making the cut again... I really hope he wins!

http://blog.opentable.com/2013/2013-jam ... -revealed/

Or download the official nominations:

[The extension pdf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
M_L

The SW Chef category is a beast Binkley, Hugo and Shepard yikes. Pretty much anyones guess.
azhotdish

M_L wrote:The SW Chef category is a beast Binkley, Hugo and Shepard yikes. Pretty much anyones guess.
Three winners from the valley in the past 10 years - it really is anyone's guess. Looks like Phoenix is due.

2012: Paul Qui, Uchiko, Austin, TX
2011: Saipin Chutima, Lotus of Siam, Las Vegas and Tyson Cole, Uchi, Austin, TX
2010: Claude Le Tohic, Joël Robuchon, Las Vegas
2009: Paul Bartolotta, Bartolotta Ristorante di Mare, Las Vegas, NV
2008: Lachlan Mackinnon-Patterson, Frasca Food and Wine, Boulder, CO
2007: Nobuo Fukuda, Sea Saw, Scottsdale, AZ
2006: Bradford Thompson, Mary Elaine's at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, AZ
2005: Mark Kiffin, The Compound, Santa Fe, NM
2004: Luciano Pellegrini, Valentino at The Venetian, Las Vegas, NV
2003: Chris Bianco, Pizzeria Bianco, Phoenix, AZ
---
Joel
@azhotdish
sourcetags8codes

Barley swine has a ton of press behind it currently. Fingers crossed though for binkly. He did just open his third restaurant and they may help him. Anyone else look at the finalists? I would be surprised if state bird does not win best new restaurant. Arguably the hottest a restaurant in San Fran, let alone California.