The Taste

Food news, food media and other food-related topics
Vince

Anybody catch the new show that premiered tonight on ABC called "The Taste"? It features 4 judge/mentors, Nigella Lawson, Brian Malarkey, Ludo and Anthony Bourdain. Seems to me that ABC wants to compete against Fox's "Master Chef". Blind tasting, one bite and it is all about the taste. Professional and home cooks compete to earn a spot on one of the judges team.
Lunchbox

We watched it... It was basically the Voice but with food... I don't know what to think yet... We didn't watch it intently, it was more in the background (I did turn the subtitles on so as to catch some of the action.) We'll probably give it another shot...
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
grrlscout

We watched it.

It seemed to me that the judges were being overly picky. Or I just don't know what they were looking for. Or maybe they were just holding out until closer to the end, as to not fill up their team too quickly - which seemed unfair to those who has earlier cooking slots.

Regardless of the reasoning, their reluctance caused them to miss out on quite a few potentially good candidates.

Oh and I hate how the cooks are interviewed while they are in what appears to be a plexi box. The audio sounds like they are standing in a bathroom. :roll:

Are they afraid a miffed cook is going to attack the judges?
~ Korina
gardener | forager | permie | maker of things
Libster

We watched it. I'm actually glad the audition portion is over so we can get into the meat of the program.

I still don't know what to think.

I think some of the passing of chefs was because each judge was looking for a specific quality that would fit their personality and culinary expertise.

Bourdain isn't in the kitchen anymore. Hasn't been for 10 years or more. He has traveled around and seemed to be looking more for culture and ethnic taste. I knew he'd pick the last girl over the guy based on that.

I'm not sold on the show yet. I want to see how it goes a few more episodes.
BarbaraToombs

I thought I saw a Facebook post (yesterday?) from Josh Hebert, indicating the show has already been cancelled? (Although I may have misinterpreted, but it was obvious Josh didn't think much of it!)
BillBuitenhuys

We watched as well.
I really wanted to like this show. The 2nd tv chef cookbook I ever purchased (not counting from Julia or Jacques) was one of Nigella's. Love what Bourdain has done for exposure of ethic foods. I even like Ludo for his passion and creativity. Didn't like Malarky on TC and still thinks he is out of his league with the other three.
Back to the show, as we can't "taste" while watching The Taste like we can "hear" while watching The Voice, it is harder to get drawn in and relate to the contestants or the rationale behind judge's decisions. Malarky, IMO, does the worse job at trying to help the viewing audience in on his thought process in thumbs up/down. Phrases from all of them like "I really loved your spoon but I'm kicking myself for not picking you" doesn't help us understand why they didnt pick them. Do they really not trust their own palates and are using the visuals from the chef/cook to sway them? Speaking of palates, it was surprising the number of times they collectively have trouble guessing the key ingredients.

I'm not impressed so far. I'll probably continue to watch but the expectations are pretty low at this point.
Dapuma

barely got through the first episode...wont make a 2nd mistake
ScottofStrand

I wasn't riveted by the first couple episodes, but I certainly don't think it was as bad as people are making it out to be. I thought there was a good mix of amateurs and professionals, and i'm looking forward to seeing how the actual show works now that the castings are over and done with.
Lunchbox

So we're watching The Taste tonight and my 3 y/o is in the room playing with her toys... Anthony Bourdain starts talking and she shoots her head up and says: "Momma! It's Dr. Tony, Toodie's doctor!" We were dying laughing...

Fast fwd. to about 2:10 to see him in action...

-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia