Top Chef Season 10

Food news, food media and other food-related topics
CWeb

I'll be very surprised if either Kristen or Brooke doesn't win this year. Both are very deserving, and it'd be good to see another woman win (and put an end to the 'TOP CHEF IS SEXISTT!!!11!!!' movement).

I think at this point, those two would give us the best finale.
nom

Overdue elimination in a meh episode overall. Now I guess we figure out how they plan on handling the bounce back. Voting on the save thing is over this morning so I guess they have set this thing up to shoot this week.
CWeb

Also, according to the Bravo website, the final rounds are in LA, after next weeks elimination.
anonman

So next week is LCK re-insertion?
nom

Well this is actually pretty wild. 2 part finale. I guess shoot the LCK this evening sometime then roll with the finale pt.1 today and finish pt2 by this weekend.

Gives them about 2 weeks to cut it up and then air over 2 weeks.

I'm betting they don't cut anyone next week.
CWeb

I'm still a little confused about the role of the Save a Chef.

Will CJ face Kristen in a special LCK? Do they both get reinserted? Do they face off in a finale episode (replacing a QF)? Is next weeks eliminated chef playing the 'Ed' role (where they don't get a second chance)?

A lot to figure out.
Pete

I would guess that they both get re-inserted at the beginning next week, then one person gets eliminated, then they have a normal four-person finale in LA. Though they could do the "you only get back in if you win this challenge" thing that they did to Jeff in Season 5.
pepperjack

Go Brooke!

It's funny, when they got to where they were staying early in the episode I thought to myself, 'how on Earth is Lizzy here.' She seems decent, but really is nothing special. Quite a few people you'd think would be there instead.
nom

No way they get back on next week unless they use a time machine.

Right now, like this minute, CJ and Kristen are facing off in LA to get back on the show. One of them will meet the remaining 2 or 3 that survive next week. My guess is they eliminate nobody next week and go 4 to 3 to 1. H2H finals have been snoozers.

Brooke is doing well, but beware the bear trap of chefs that can't scale well. She has nearly exclusively dominated the catering challenges and failed in the plated challenges. This never ends well for those chefs, and has been the single biggest predictor of finals success through the years especially in those years where the competition is fairly close. She's a tapas chef for her day job just FYI.

Whomever comes out of the CJ/Kristen battle wins this thing. Going away.
CWeb

That's true nom, but the penultimate challenge is always a catering one, so that means Brooke should be safe there. She's probably the most likely to make the final challenge.

Also, off the top of my head, most of the challenges this season have been catering / food events (which I'm fine with). So it might be unfair to say that Brooke can't succeed in a finale / fine dining environment.
nom

Brooke's EC history

-E14 - Plated 200 - Won
-E13 - Plated 100+ - Won
-E12 - Plated 8 - Bottom (Fried Chicken)
-E11 - Restaurant Wars - Not a factor.
-E10 - RW Concept Plated <10- Bottom
-E9 - I can't really remember this one. Finished well here in perhaps a low plating count
-E8 - Plated 200 - Won
-E7 - Plated 150 - High
-E6 - Plated 200 - Won (squid dish)
-E5 - Plated 100+ with Stephan - Low, but all were bad

Wow, yeah so it's been top caterer this season.
CWeb

E9 was Past Suppers, which was pseudo catering (as I recall they made upwards of 20 - 30 plates).
Even RW concept was catering of sorts, as it was at the 'Taste of Seattle' festival. IIRC, there were a lot of portions for that as well.

Yea, it really has been a LOT of catering challenges.
Independent George

Finally got to watch:
1. GE owns Bravo, and Disney owns Discovery, so my dream crossover won't ever actually happen. But it were there in spirit.
2. Due to allergies, I have no idea what crab tastes like, fresh or not.
3. Wait wait wait wait wait - bears can climb trees? A thousand-pound BEAR can CLIMB TREES?!!! That is so not fair. How is that even physically possible? I've never been so terrified in my life. Humanity is doomed. DOOMED!
4. It was obvious from the interview clips that Lizzie was a goner; I called abot 15 minutes in.
5. Did Lizzie shout out, 'Shucks!' when she got angry during prep? She's adorable.
6. As catering challenges go, that was not bad.
7. This might have been the most attention we've gotten on the food this entire season. For the first time, I could actually imagine what every dish in the EC tasted like.
8. Josh has grown on me, but I'm still rooting for a Kristen, Brooke, Sheldon finale trio (which is still possible).
9. Sheldon's had consecutive QF wins, and consecutive EC bottoms. I don't know if that means he's struggling mentally or just random variation.
10. Why weren't the chefs allowed to wear coats during JT? They looked utterly miserable.
CWeb

IG, if it makes you feel better, brown bears can't climb trees, only black bears. Of course, brown bears make up for it by being upwards of 1500 lb, while also being able to run and swim faster than any human.

Fun/scary fact: In the ancient times, Greeks often pitted animals against each other. A popular matchup was lion vs. bear. Bear always won.

Yea, bears are scary.
Libster

Independent George wrote:Finally got to watch:
1. GE owns Bravo, and Disney owns Discovery, so my dream crossover won't ever actually happen. But it were there in spirit.
2. Due to allergies, I have no idea what crab tastes like, fresh or not.
3. Wait wait wait wait wait - bears can climb trees? A thousand-pound BEAR can CLIMB TREES?!!! That is so not fair. How is that even physically possible? I've never been so terrified in my life. Humanity is doomed. DOOMED!
4. It was obvious from the interview clips that Lizzie was a goner; I called abot 15 minutes in.
5. Did Lizzie shout out, 'Shucks!' when she got angry during prep? She's adorable.
6. As catering challenges go, that was not bad.
7. This might have been the most attention we've gotten on the food this entire season. For the first time, I could actually imagine what every dish in the EC tasted like.
8. Josh has grown on me, but I'm still rooting for a Kristen, Brooke, Sheldon finale trio (which is still possible).
9. Sheldon's had consecutive QF wins, and consecutive EC bottoms. I don't know if that means he's struggling mentally or just random variation.
10. Why weren't the chefs allowed to wear coats during JT? They looked utterly miserable.
4. I already knew she had lost when I watched but I did pick up on that, but thought it was just me because I had watched it the day after and had already received the spoilers.

5. Yeah, Lizzie is very sweet, and all that about her Dad. It was a very emotional challenge for her and I think that may had taken some focus off of the competition.

8. Josh has grown on me as well, not sure why, or if its editing but he hasn't annoyed me since the time John was on the show.

9. Sheldon seems to be trying to push himself with new ideas that he doesn't know. With some success and some not. Maybe it's the reason he got to stay was for pushing. I really like him. He's a likable guy, he seems to have a sweet heart, and is a very talented chef, there is potential for him to miss the final if he experiments again and fails. So here is hoping he stays in.

I'm still confused about this last LCK and how its going to play out. Tom mentions the next week is the last LCK does that me she goes against the saved chef or that she goes against the next eliminated chef and then both the saved chef and the winner of LCK go back into the game. Or is it a 3 way between the saved chef, LCK winner, and the next eliminated chef.
pepperjack

I thought Comcast owns Bravo? Original point still stands, though.

Bears can climb trees and run 35+ miles an hour. Think Usain Bolt, but faster...
PHXeater

Please tell me someone else caught the framed pic of Andy Cohen (I think) in Craft's walkin during LCK. Other than that them not telling us the LCK winner is weak.

Most importantly, I'm going to be traveling for work next week and can't count on being in the hotel room when Top Chef is airing, if the hotel even has Bravo. If anyone has some safe Internet links to watch PM me.
nom

Josh got a raw deal having to beat 2 chefs instead of just 1. It didn't look like he was super competitive, but still.

I figured they would just not cut anyone down from this prior week to avoid that. Oh well.

Kristen should roll this thing.
Lunchbox

PHXeater wrote:Please tell me someone else caught the framed pic of Andy Cohen (I think) in Craft's walkin during LCK. Other than that them not telling us the LCK winner is weak.
That's hilarious... I just grabbed a screen shot... (Click on it to make it bigger)
tcandy.png
tcandy.png (32.34 KiB) Viewed 3351 times
The other thing I noticed was that Josh has a "Pastry Chef" title on his Chef coat... I don't think it's ever been made known that he's a pastry chef, has it?

**UPDATE: A quick Google search shows that Josh is not living in Okalahoma City anymore... He's moved to Dallas to head up the pastry program at "FT33" - hence his chef coat...
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
Independent George

PHXeater wrote:Please tell me someone else caught the framed pic of Andy Cohen (I think) in Craft's walkin during LCK. Other than that them not telling us the LCK winner is weak.
Yeah, I'm in the exact same boat. If the hotel has Bravo, then I've got no problem because they re-air the episode twice more each night. If not, then I won't be commenting until the weekend.

Josh definitely grew on me over the season, but the right two chefs are in the finale. If Kristen survives the final LCK, then it will be the finale matchup I think we've all wanted from the start. Regardless, we've got Brooke + Sheldon + CJ/Kristen/Josh. I really don't see a bad outcome no matter how it shakes up (but I'm still rooting for Kristen).

I did find it interesting how Roy Choi described Brooke as a prodigy. I personally blame Dom for not spending 200 hours researching the chefs in the preseason so that we knew about it beforehand.
pepperjack wrote:Bears can climb trees and run 35+ miles an hour. Think Usain Bolt, but faster...
A bigger, stronger, faster version of Usain Bolt with teeth, claws, and can climb trees and swim faster than humans. Got it.

Now excuse me while I go and research what it takes to buy a shotgun in Chicago.