The Psychology of Online Food Reviews

Food news, food media and other food-related topics
Lunchbox

I read this article this morning and I find this really fascinating... It totally makes sense to me (especially after getting to know some of you IRL)...

Online food reviews reveal inner self, Stanford researcher finds

Stanford scholar Dan Jurafsky found that the words used in online restaurant reviews provide a surprising source of insight into human psychology. While positive reviews of expensive restaurants were rife with sensual and sexy metaphors, the good food at cheap restaurants prompted references to drugs.

Full article here: http://news.stanford.edu/news/2014/apri ... 41014.html

This really stuck out to me:

"Bad reviews seem to be caused by bad customer service rather than just bad food or atmosphere. The bottom line is that it's all about the personal interactions. When people are rude or mean to you, it goes straight to your sense of self."

Whoa... Guilty as charged... This definitely makes me think differently about how I craft my words... I may not change, but I will at least think twice about what I'm saying...

Thoughts?
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
LaPan

That's why I've always believed that a restaurant lives or dies on front of house service. Pity that so few seem to care about it.
IG @lapaniam
fatduck

Just wanted to offer my 2c. It does bother me when online reviewers tarnish an otherwise strong score because of one blip in the service. So many times you'll see a place with a string of 4 and 5-star reviews and then there's an occasional one star which is clearly a 'spite review' because someone had an issue with a server or was disappointed with some aspect of the service. These generally take one of two forms; either the detail-free ranting one liner (e.g. 'Don't go, they will LIE to you') or the exhaustive breakdown of the issue in multiple paragraphs ('and then A FULL 20 MINUTES after we'd been PROMISED blah, blah, blah'). As a side observation, I note that disgruntled online reviewers tend to favor dramatic changes of case; I think it's called 'ransom-note style'.

I suppose I'm not the only one who has learned to filter out much of this kind of 'incident-specific noise' when reading online reviews. This doesn't just apply to restaurant reviews either. You find pretty much the same thing on tripadvisor and even amazon.
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

One of the many reasons stars suck.
Dominic Armato
BarbaraToombs

Skillet Doux wrote:One of the many reasons stars suck.
Agreed. I hated being forced to give a star rating on the few reviews I did for the Republic.