Five Miles from ABC

Food news, food media and other food-related topics
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

So, this ABC thing isn't going to go away. People aren't going to stop paying attention. So rather than posting and tweeting about the show on Friday, I say we do a little kung fu, and try to redirect that attention to places deserving of the attention.

Starting at 5PM on Friday, when the Kitchen Nightmares episode starts airing on the East Coast, I'm going to start tweeting with the hashtag #5mifromABC. The name of a great restaurant, maybe a couple of words' worth of description if space allows, link to the website, food photo if I've got one, and the driving distance from ABC. Here's an example (minus the hashtag):
Screen Shot 2014-04-09 at 5.33.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-04-09 at 5.33.17 PM.png (75.98 KiB) Viewed 4667 times
Just in case anybody else who's on Twitter wants to join in.
Dominic Armato
MyLifeOnVacatio

Great idea. I have a few spots in mind.
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

If you don't want to help their Google metrics when searching distances, the Harkins Shea 14 shares the same parking lot :-)
Dominic Armato
azhotdish

Great idea. In order to make it really successful, I think the show's hashtag needs to be used along with #5mifromABC.
---
Joel
@azhotdish
AZLobo

azhotdish wrote:Great idea. In order to make it really successful, I think the show's hashtag needs to be used along with #5mifromABC.
Agreed. Let's do it.
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Would it be best to only use the show's hashtag? Flood the conversation rather than simply generating another avenue of publicity for them? Openly wondering... not trying to ask a leading question.
Dominic Armato
LaPan

Definitely use the show's official hashtag +. Otherwise it will be missed.
IG @lapaniam
golbsalt

Even a quick pass through retweet (not a modified or quoted retweet) by anyone without a specific reco would add a lot of traction. Is there room in the post to add one more hashtag Dom? Something like #PFNreco or #PHXfoodnerds something else that others can see and coalesce around?
blog.golbsalt.com - "happiness IS just a lick away!"
@_go_lb_salt_ or @fhmarket
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Ehhh, I'd really rather not. It's not about us. It's about trying to hijack the ABC twitter traffic and using it to send a positive message about the restaurant scene here. I talked to hotdish about it a bit, and it seems like the hashtag above and the show'a hashtag are the way to go.
Dominic Armato
BarbaraToombs

I think it's a great idea. We're not "dissing" ABC....just pointing out some other options nearby! :lol:

Might have missed it in the posts above...but what IS the show's official hashtag?
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

That's a good question. Should probably figure it out before tomorrow night :-)
Dominic Armato
BarbaraToombs

OK...just checked the show's website. Official hashtag is simply #KitchenNightmares.

I'm lining up tweets as I write this, ready to go. Sticking to the places I've been (ie, not Bourbon Steak, but that should be one of them!). But I guess it doesn't matter if we double or triple up on a place, after all! :)
MyLifeOnVacatio

Yup, Bourbon Steak is 5.2 miles away and on my list to mention, taking a little bit of liberty with the 5 mile radius. :D
LaPan

You can use buffer to schedule tweets btw.
IG @lapaniam
BarbaraToombs

LaPan wrote:You can use buffer to schedule tweets btw.
That's what I've been trying to do...but can't for the life of me find the "Twitter Ads" or the "Creatives Tab" they talk about in the "Help" section that allows you to do this! :?

EDIT: NEVER MIND...figured it out! Thanks for the reminder LaPan! :)
BarbaraToombs

Okay folks...I have 6 tweets scheduled between 5:30 and 8 pm tonight. Taco Haus, Andreoli, Roka Akor, Rancho Pinot, Rusconi's, and Humble Pie...all within 5 miles of ABC. Hope we get plenty on board with this!!! :)
LaPan

Do we have a phxfood nerds page that explains what/why we're doing this. It would be nice to be public with what we're doing.
IG @lapaniam
BarbaraToombs

LaPan wrote:Do we have a phxfood nerds page that explains what/why we're doing this. It would be nice to be public with what we're doing.
See Skillet Doux's note above:
Skillet Doux wrote:It's not about us. It's about trying to hijack the ABC twitter traffic and using it to send a positive message about the restaurant scene here.
LaPan

I think what we as a group are doing is positive and deserve credit for doing something good. All we ever read or hear about is negative. We need to celebrate the positive (like what we're doing). Why the need to hide?
IG @lapaniam
Desert Gal

For this worthy cause I'd be willing to create a "Twit" account but by the time I figured out how to set it up the window would be over. Someone give a shout out to Guido's for me. In the same dam center :-D

Actually, the ABC show just popped up on the TV and the Promo of screeching and screaming had me cutting quick to the SNL rerun! Justin is hosting.
Last edited by Desert Gal 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.