Plated home delivery service

Food news, food media and other food-related topics
Lunchbox

OK I'm a skeptic... Venture Capitalists really will throw money at anything...

Plated is a home delivery service of prepared ingredients to cook a specific dish. So if you want to make their cashew chicken they'll give you everything you need for the number of people you're cooking for. So basically a mise en place home delivery service...

Even if I were too busy to source ingredients, my suspicions are these: What's the delivery method? Does a FedEx guy show up with it on ice? Where are ingredients sourced? Who's preparing them and where are they prepared? I don't know. This obviously isn't for me but I guess they're finding enough people to make a go of it...

Thoughts?
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
BarbaraToombs

I'm sorry, but that just sounds crazy. I would never use it. And, like you say, lots of questions. I'm guessing it's not cheap, either.
artvandelay

I really don't understand this concept. It seems like the target market are people who don't like cooking but want to say they have cooked a meal because it's what all the cool kids on the food network are doing.
Desert Gal

Just watched the linked video. All I can say is WTH?
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

I agree, it's kind of absurd, expensive, and obviously not targeted at us... but I say if pre-portioned and delivered to your doorstep ingredients eliminates a barrier to people cooking a fresh, simple meal at home, that's not a bad thing. I'd sure rather see somebody doing this than going the takeout / pre-packaged / semi-homemade route.
Dominic Armato
GoBlue18

$15/plate (or $12/plate w/ the $10/month) membership option. Seems pricey.

I guess I get the appeal for some folks. May be similar, if not more expensive, to getting home delivery for groceries. But definitely not something for me.
BarbaraToombs

GoBlue18 wrote:May be similar, if not more expensive, to getting home delivery for groceries. But definitely not something for me.
I used to use Safeway for home delivery for (some) groceries and loved it for convenience, and there was no added expense than what you'd pay in the store (not even a delivery charge if you took advantage of their monthly deals). But I'm more of a Fry's girl, so stopped using it.
PHXeater

I could see using something like this for exotic recipes when I don't want to go searching around town for ingredients but I can get the ingredients for steak fajitas with guacamole just fine on my own. Now if there were some really cool ambitious ethnic dishes on there I'd be more interested.

I agree if this will cause people to make more fresh meals it's not a bad thing
AZScott

If my budget allowed it and the food was good I would give it a go. This is perfect for families where time, schedule conflicts, and voracious kids after day care can be a concern. In most dishes, prep often takes longer than the time it takes to cook the meal.
grrlscout

One of my FB friends (and probably one of some of you as well) just posted that she received her first Plated box, and will be cooking it up tonight. I'm curious to see the results.
~ Korina
gardener | forager | permie | maker of things
Lunchbox

grrlscout wrote:One of my FB friends (and probably one of some of you as well) just posted that she received her first Plated box, and will be cooking it up tonight. I'm curious to see the results.
I saw that too, I was going to ask her about it but didn't because I saw it on my phone in a passing perusal of FB and forgot about it...
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
BarbaraToombs

I asked her for a full report on Instagram...so hopefully she'll tell all.
theFabulousOne

I saw the sponsored post on Facebook and got it. It was $20 for shipping, but the box itself was "free." It came in a really sturdy cardboard box, and the inside of the box is lined with foil-lined styrofoam to keep it cool. There were two big ice packs in it to keep the food cold, and it was cold when I unpacked it.
I like the concept, especially for people who may not know a lot in the kitchen, or may not be "food aware" like most of us are. Anyway, it came neatly packaged, with each ingredient getting its own bag. That part bothers me in the way that shopping at Fresh & Easy bothers me. I hate all that packaging and my hippie mom would freak. Anyway, they even included a small bottle of white wine for the broth. (I do not drink, so I never have that on-hand, which made it cooler to me.)
The instruction card is really simple to follow and has great pictures. The dish I got was "Turkey sausage and mussels."
The ONLY non-fresh part of this, however, is the mussels. "Previously cooked and frozen." They weren't too rubbery, but they definitely didn't have a lot of flavor. They came vacuum-packed, so why couldn't they have packed fresh ones?
Would I get it again? Yes, but I'd have to check the price first and the recipe. If there's something I've never cooked, it would be a great way to learn a dish and improvise.
I posted pics on Facebook.
BarbaraToombs

Great stuff, Amy! Thanks for being the "guinea pig" on this one. I gotta admit, when I saw their "free" trial offer, I was thinking about it, and when I saw mussels I was almost in...but when I went to order, they were sold out, and the next two offerings didn't appeal to me. Wish they had a slightly bigger "menu".
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Hey, Fabulous One! Good to see you around these parts :-)

If they vac-packed fresh mussels, you'd have to evacuate the house after opening the bag. Once they're dead, they turn very, very quickly. I find it disappointing that they'd try mussels at all, actually. There are so many things that travel well, why bother with one of the most perishable ingredients out there?

Yeah, not for me... but if this gets people to cook instead of carrying out, I think that's awesome. Hopefully it's more of a transitional thing than an endgame, though :-)
Dominic Armato
LaPan

Mailing mussels? To me, that's a sign that the company may really know what they're doing. I'll stay away.
IG @lapaniam