Top Chef - Season 11

Food news, food media and other food-related topics
nom

Time to mercy kill this show. I think the ratings are so low I can't imagine them renewing the season.

They were reduced to trying to manufacture drama with the immunity on a 6 person 2x3 challenge last week and this week with that contrived "you all suck" food truck guy that nobody has really heard of. Dude, you make tacos in a truck it's not the Sistine Chapel.

This season is pretty low on talent. Even Hosea would run over this crew. You also have 5 people that cook the same dish every week. You get a mexican, a carib, a korean, a pan-asian, and a quasi-MG every single time. Usually you see people get slammed for cooking the same food, now Tom just doesn't care. (Full disclosure, I don't watch judges tables anymore just what he says on locations)

I keep watching to see something interesting in 3 show chunks. It isn't a bad show if you don't watch judges table and skip all challenges that require a chafing dish. Takes about the same time to burn through 3 of these the time 1 show used to.
Lunchbox

nom wrote:Time to mercy kill this show. I think the ratings are so low I can't imagine them renewing the season.
It's coming back in an EXTREME way! Only time will tell if they're beating a dead horse...

Top Chef Announces 'Extreme' Spinoff Show
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
anonman

I will say, sadly, that the first episode I caught all season was the semis last week. I was favorably impressed with the chefs I saw, but at this point in the competition, why wouldn't I be.

As much as I liked the show, and prefer to more gimmicky ones like Choppped or the hype in Iron Chef, I can't do it anymore. Too much to do, too much other stuff to watch. It's not you, Top Chef, its me.
Lunchbox

I'm so glad it's over... The gratuitous shots of Padma exiting the ocean in her bikini and then the subsequent scene where she let the contestants pick their sous where she was also wearing a bikini was a bit much for a cooking show... Ugh...
-- LBX

PHXeater

At least they didn't do a live finale again...?? I just don't know what happened to the show that I loved and obsessed over just a couple years ago. I even loved last year's with Kristin and Brooke but ugh, this year was rough for some reason. It never helps when deserving people get kicked off before its their time, when dead weight is around for too long, etc.
Independent George

nom wrote:This season is pretty low on talent. Even Hosea would run over this crew. You also have 5 people that cook the same dish every week. You get a mexican, a carib, a korean, a pan-asian, and a quasi-MG every single time. Usually you see people get slammed for cooking the same food, now Tom just doesn't care. (Full disclosure, I don't watch judges tables anymore just what he says on locations)
I have to disagree with this - there seemed to be a lot less BS challenges this season, the upper tier looked as good as any in previous seasons, and I think you're grossly understating the quality and creativity of what was prepared. Instead, I think you're falling victim to what I see as a major problem: the show seems to be edited in a way removes as much information as possible from the viewer.

I would guess that this is done to increase the suspense on what ended up at the top/bottom, but really what it does is to make things largely indistinguishable from each other. We see the final dish, and a few scattered comments from the judges table, but at no point this season (including the finals!) did we ever learn (1) how a dish was prepared, (2) what makes that particular preparation unique, or (3) how it actually tasted.

Case in point: earlier in the season, one of the chefs prepared a shrimp dish based on the advice of the Vietnamese women at the fish market, who said they used a lot of butter. Flip to judges table, and we hear Tom saying he likes the butter sauce. What's missing: whatever the heck she did to incorporate the butter, how the shrimp were prepared, or what else was in the friggin sauce.

Since we can't actually taste the food, viewers have to rely upon explanations from either the chefs or judges to get a feel for what's happening. It seems like that's been cut in the interest in drama, which ironically makes the show considerably less interesting.

Anyway, all shows have a natural lifespan, and I think it's time for Top Chef to end. It's like watching Fat Elvis now. It's still got some moves, but what little magic remains mostly just makes me wistful for the old days.
nom

I can't say I was super invested in this season, but Nina, for example appeared to be something that would constitute dead weight in most seasons. She really lost the whole thing on her every-week dish which was "Fish in a brightly colored semi-spicy sauce with garnish." I am far too lazy to look, but I bet she brought out that blueprint at least once an episode the last 5 in. And honestly, it probably hung her as they were able to compare to dishes she did already and knew it didn't stack up.

Nick is one guy that needs a really long runway to excel. IIRC he won only one in the regular season and that was restaurant week. I got the strong suspicion he had that dish dialed in 2 months prior to shooting for that challenge. Same with the finale dishes. Once he gets dialed in he could steamroll this crew. I just don't see that as talent, it is the sign of a sous chef which this season had up and down the roster.

That being said it's now 3 seasons in a row where the better prepared chef slaughters the less prepared chefs.

I don't know where this show goes. Granland did an excellent piece on the show and how it's run off the rails. Their podcast with Emeril was enlightening as well. http://grantland.com/tags/top-chef/
Lunchbox

Well, they're currently casting Season 12... :roll: Old Yeller aint been put out of his misery yet...
4yreC.jpg
4yreC.jpg (134.53 KiB) Viewed 6073 times
-- LBX

BarbaraToombs

Lunchbox wrote:I'm so glad it's over... The gratuitous shots of Padma exiting the ocean in her bikini and then the subsequent scene where she let the contestants pick their sous where she was also wearing a bikini was a bit much for a cooking show... Ugh...
I thought I had commented on this earlier...but guess I didn't. This about made me barf. Seriously? She comes into the kitchen, virtually dripping wet, right from the ocean? Give me a frickin' break.

I won't be watching this again. Watched two seasons, seen enough.