Serious Eats Ramen Primer

Food news, food media and other food-related topics
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Since ramen's been a hot topic around town lately, this is especially good timing:

The Serious Eats Guide to Ramen Styles

It doesn't get super in-depth, but it's a very nicely organized summary of the basics. Great for giving people the lay of the land.
Dominic Armato
exit2lef

Thanks. I've clipped this into one of my Evernote notebooks that I use for blogging research. That picture of the open salt shaker is scary, though.
https://phxrailfood.com
Instagram: @phxrailfood
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

exit2lef wrote:Thanks. I've clipped this into one of my Evernote notebooks that I use for blogging research. That picture of the open salt shaker is scary, though.
Like I've said... with certain Asian cuisines, sometimes salt isn't a seasoning, it's the flavor. :-)
Dominic Armato
BarbaraToombs

Wow! An excellent piece (especially for a ramen "novice" like me), and really helpful. Love the way it's written, too--gotta have a sense of humor!

Now I'm really anxious to put my newfound knowledge to work... :)
ScottofStrand

Man, I love his articles. I've got so many of them bookmarked, its getting silly.
M_L

ScottofStrand wrote:Man, I love his articles. I've got so many of them bookmarked, its getting silly.
There are far fewer that I have not marked than those which I have. In fact I rarely care for the articles on that site that are not written by Kenji.
PHXeater

Great article, looking forward to the rest of the week of ramen. I've been on an Orange County ramen tour and despite reading other articles (and reading reviews where people assume I know what tsukemen is) still had some confusion so this is perfect timing.