Rituals make food more flavorful

Food news, food media and other food-related topics
Tim H

Interesting New York Times article on how small rituals can make food taste better.

Last week I was at Pho Van and there was this young guy furiously rubbing his chopsticks together before he dug into his pho, and I was thinking "what the heck is up with this guy?" Turns out, he enjoyed his pho more than I did mine. From now on, I will be that guy.

Anyone have any food rituals?
There is nothing either good or bad but gravy makes it so. - Kevin Hearne
olllllo

Tim H wrote:Interesting New York Times article on how small rituals can make food taste better.

Last week I was at Pho Van and there was this young guy furiously rubbing his chopsticks together before he dug into his pho, and I was thinking "what the heck is up with this guy?" Turns out, he enjoyed his pho more than I did mine. From now on, I will be that guy.

Anyone have any food rituals?
I always thought the rubbing of chopsticks was to prevent splinters.
¡Salud!

Rob
I do beer things and wine things.
Director Arizona Craft Brewers Guild
Board Member Arizona Wine Growers Association

@olllllo
Independent George

Personally, I like to praise Cthulhu whenever I eat squid or octopus.
Tim H

Independent George wrote:Personally, I like to praise Cthulhu whenever I eat squid or octopus.
You think it pleases Cthulhu when you eat his brethren? The Flying Spaghetti Monster is the deity you're looking for.
Tim H

Watched Tampopo again recently, and the scene of the ramen master instructing the young man on the art of eating ramen reminded me of this article. One of the great films.