Cookbook Club Poll #2 - for August/Sept

Food news, food media and other food-related topics

What's our August/September cookbook going to be?

Poll ended at 8 years ago

Bouchon Bakery
No votes
Bouchon Bakery
No votes
Bouchon Bakery
No votes
Cradle of Flavor
No votes
Cradle of Flavor
No votes
Cradle of Flavor
No votes
Fish Without a Doubt
No votes
Fish Without a Doubt
No votes
Fish Without a Doubt
No votes
French Laundry
No votes
French Laundry
No votes
French Laundry
No votes
Into the Vietnamese Kitchen
7%
7%
7%
Jerusalem
21%
Jerusalem
21%
Jerusalem
21%
Land of Plenty
No votes
Land of Plenty
No votes
Land of Plenty
No votes
Plenty
No votes
Plenty
No votes
Plenty
No votes
Smoke and Pickles
2%
Smoke and Pickles
2%
Smoke and Pickles
2%
Zuni Cafe
2%
Zuni Cafe
2%
Zuni Cafe
2%

Total votes: 42
BarbaraToombs

OK folks, seeing as there's been a request to let those who want jump into a second cookbook, let the polling begin. Poll is open for 7 days, you can only vote for one (but you can change your vote if you want to).

I've tried to include those on the list from last time, and those I missed last time :oops: ... and any others mentioned since. Turns out it's quite a list!! (I know there are a few missing...but I'm limited to 10 options, so...sorry! Tried to pick the ones that had been mentioned more than once.)

Having just finished my exhausting attempt at several Ad Hoc recipes (photos and saga to follow in the Ad Hoc thread sometime this week!), I am ready to try something new. (And rest assured, my vote will NOT be for French Laundry...I've had enough of Thomas Keller for a little while, anyway!) :D
BarbaraToombs

Bumping this...have y'all voted yet?? At that moment it looks like we have a runaway winner...but only 5 votes? C'mon! :)
Desert Gal

Go Jerusalem, go!
Lunchbox

Desert Gal wrote:Go Jerusalem, go!
I'm anxious to get a hold of this book... (That's the way I voted... ;)) I plan on spending some birthday bucks to pick it up...
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
Desert Gal

Lunchbox wrote:
Desert Gal wrote:Go Jerusalem, go!
I'm anxious to get a hold of this book... (That's the way I voted... ;)) I plan on spending some birthday bucks to pick it up...
It's on Barnes & Noble right now for about $22 - 35% off. I can't wait to get my copy.

And speaking of cookbooks I strongly desire....there is http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Verjuice- ... 0670910554
MyLifeOnVacatio

If I vote for Jerusalem, can I just cook out of Plenty anyway? ;)

Edit: I spent some time researching after I posted this last night and found a LOT of great looking recipes from Jerusalem online in various blogs and newspaper reviews. Heck, it's going for $21 on Amazon right now, so I'll probably just get it either way.
Last edited by MyLifeOnVacatio 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Okay... tied at five, so it's bargaining time. I will switch my vote from Into the Vietnamese Kitchen to Jerusalem in exchange for an all-Asian runoff for Cookbook Club #3 :-)
Dominic Armato
BarbaraToombs

Wow...getting intense! Start recruiting, folks!
Desert Gal

Holy Cookbook, in my wildest dreams I did not see Jerusalem pulling ahead. Heart is pounding! :o
Tim H

Switched my vote to Jerusalem, partly because I owe Desert Gal and partly because I want to start cooking this weekend. But I'd like to second Skillet's suggestion of an all-Asian theme for the next poll.

Thanks for keeping us rolling, Barbara!
There is nothing either good or bad but gravy makes it so. - Kevin Hearne
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Okay, I'll go with the tide... switching to Jerusalem.
Dominic Armato
Desert Gal

Oh man, Dom, Tim, you guys are the greatest! I will fully support an all Asian theme for the next go-around and in fact, may be able to supply some Fushimi peppers from my garden by then! I also have an on-going, overwhelming supply of Japanese eggplants I could share (in three different colors and sizes, lol), because, lets face it - chasing neighbors down the street with them is not working out.

I'll wager my Food Nerd rep that Jerusalem will not disappoint.
Desert Gal

MyLifeOnVacatio wrote:If I vote for Jerusalem, can I just cook out of Plenty anyway? ;)

Edit: I spent some time researching after I posted this last night and found a LOT of great looking recipes from Jerusalem online in various blogs and newspaper reviews. Heck, it's going for $21 on Amazon right now, so I'll probably just get it either way.
Another Jerusalem convert! HooYaa!!
Tim H

Spent the past two hours browsing through Jerusalem -- do not regret changing my vote at all. The only question is where to begin. Those stuffed potatoes on page 168 are singing my song, but at 23 ingredients will require some shopping. So happy.
There is nothing either good or bad but gravy makes it so. - Kevin Hearne
MyLifeOnVacatio

I was delighted to see that I had almost all of the ingredients already on hand for the first recipe I found online (codcakes in tomato sauce), with the exception of the fresh herbs. I'm assuming an ethnic grocery will be the best source for copious amounts of herbs...any thoughts on which one? I was planning a trip to Baiz Market for some of the other staples, any chance this could be one-stop shopping?
Mike Z

Lee Lee's in Chandler should have you covered

www.leeleesupermarket.com
Mike Z

So my copy of "Jerusalem" arrived today with binding issues. It has a strange "puffy" cover, so I'm thinking maybe the binding issue is the fault of the cover, and if I return it, a replacement will soon have the same issue. Anybody else have a copy with the binding falling apart to back that up?
Binding falling apart on front cover
Binding falling apart on front cover
IMG_1446.JPG (72.08 KiB) Viewed 4259 times
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Mine has the puffy cover, but I'd assumed that was intentional. No issues with my binding.
Dominic Armato
azhotdish

We're talking about this book, correct?
http://www.amazon.com/Jerusalem-A-Cookb ... 607743949/

Flipping through the sample pages, all I can think of is Charleen Badman.
---
Joel
@azhotdish
meleyna

Wah I'm behind now. I'll have to search for recipes--not sure it'll be worth it to order at this point.

I have Plenty, which also has the puffy cover, and no binding issues.