Amy's Baking Company - Kitchen Nightmares

Food news, food media and other food-related topics
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

After the total letdown that was the ABC feature on Check Please, having just seen the Kitchen Nightmares episode that's airing this coming Friday, I feel compelled to pass along that it delivers. Dear god, does it deliver. I think I need a cigarette. And I don't smoke.

If you haven't already, set the DVRs, folks.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
ScottofStrand

5 years ago

Oh boy does it deliver. That was totally epic!
PHXeater

5 years ago

Amazing. Just spent my lunch hour literally watching and eating popcorn. It hasn't aired here yet but can be found on youtube. The 1 star Yelp reviews are going insane. Cat jokes will never cease to amuse me and I just want to give that girl they fired a big hug.

Also, owners taking tips might actually be illegal. I know it is in certain states, not sure about AZ.

I honestly don't even know where to start with this!

Also, I'm taking bets on how soon Amy sets up an account and starts berating us.
BarbaraToombs

5 years ago

My DVR is set...I believe it airs Saturday?? I might have to watch on You Tube....not sure I can wait that long!
emmaAmethyst

5 years ago

BarbaraToombs wrote:My DVR is set...I believe it airs Saturday?? I might have to watch on You Tube....not sure I can wait that long!
Friday, 7:00, channel 10 (or 1010) on Cox (KSAZ / Fox if you have other services).
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

What's amazing to me is not that the two of them are individually crazy, though they are... a lot. It's the way they manage to feed on each other and achieve this perfect state of crazy symbiosis -- a positive feedback loop of bats**t insane. Either one of them, individually, would be a remarkable specimen. But together, it's like achieving critical mass and then removing the control rods.

I feel like there's a doctoral thesis in here for somebody.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
themis

5 years ago

Ugh, I just feel so awful now. That was more triggering than the first ninety percent of Silver Linings Playbook.

You can't even get any schadenfreude out of that mess-! Mental illness isn't funny, y'all.
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

Not schadenfreude, exactly... I generally eschew this kind of thing. More a matter of vindication on behalf of a friend.

And taking servers' tips has nothing to do with mental illness.

But I take your point and it's a good one.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
The Cosmic Jester

5 years ago

Taking server tips isn't crazy, it's a federal crime. If someone at the Department of Labor is having a slow day, it should be interesting to see what happens next.
PHXeater

5 years ago

I agree it's kind of sad/shocking to see that level of "crazy" (mental illness). But, it seems pretty obvious to me that they also are just not nice people and refuse any help. I say this because they have it together enough to somewhat have run a business for a few years without closing down, working with distributors, landlords, the city/state for permits, etc. So it's hard for me to excuse their behavior after they steal tips, fire a really innocent looking young girl, and berate customers. They even promoted on their FB site that Kitchen Nightmares would be airing after the taping??

What really gets me is that they even applied to be on the show in the first place. The entire show it's as if they thought they would be the one exception on the show where Gordon Ramsay walks in and says the place is perfect, outs the online food bloggers for being evil and goes home. Did they not watch an episode before they applied?

The whole thing is so shocking that I almost would think it was all staged. Except we all know it isn't.
olllllo

5 years ago

And to think this all cost "1 million dollars". #firstworldmentalproblems

Edited to add quotes of disbelief.
¡Salud!

Rob
BeerPHXation A local Phoenix Metro beer culture celebration and admonition
@olllllo
Independent George

5 years ago

In almost any other situation, this sounds like the sort of thing I'd try very hard to avoid watching. Knowing the backstory ahead of time, though... I wait in eager anticipation.
BarbaraToombs

5 years ago

PHXeater wrote:They even promoted on their FB site that Kitchen Nightmares would be airing after the taping??
OMG...I just had a wonderful few minutes of entertainment just reading the comments on the aforementioned Facebook post. The first few (must be friends) are complimentary, and each complimentary comment gets a sugary sweet reply (presumably from Amy)...the rest of the 117 and counting comments are ripping them a new one...holy cow! This must be a good one...can't wait (I'm holding out for the actual show and not watching on YouTube, although it's not easy!).
Mike Todd

5 years ago

It took me 3 cringe-filled tries to get through the whole set of the Youtube uploads: got 5 or 6 minutes into Segment 1 and had to quit; after a 15-minute rest, resumed watching Segment 1 and got halfway through Segment 2 before taking a break for the night; gritted my teeth this morning and made it through the last half of Segment 2 and all of Segment 3.

I didn't doubt that there was something terribly wrong going on there, but my inner cynic was operating in the background saying things like, "These things can be edited to tell the story the producers want to tell" and "I wonder if she's crazy like a fox or just straight-up crazy." That said, I'd definitely lay heavy odds on straight-up crazy. And given Amy B's previous online displays, chances of the edited show reflecting the complete opposite of what really went on during taping are vanishingly slim. I'm glad to have a context for legitimate online reports I've read, but at the same time, witnessing that level of dysfunction left me feeling a bit disturbed. Those folks need a mental health intervention (or confinement) much more than they need a business consultation.

[cue solo cello in minor key]

Don't get me wrong, I don't think these two are basically good people who just happen to be going through a stressful time in their lives. Obviously, they are deeply flawed in ways that make them socially repellent and morally contemptible. But yeah, watching real live people rolling through the world inside an impenetrable radiating sphere of f*cked-upness was ultimately a bummer for me.

/Captain Bringdown
Mike Z

5 years ago

PHXeater, thanks for the hook up on the links!

That's some wild stuff. I've never heard of an owner taking the tips. That boggles my mind. It was a great moment when Ramsay handed that girl a tip and looked back at the owners while he did it
transparent

5 years ago

I rewatched tonight, and didn't catch that Amy genuinely thought Gordon was going to come in and validate her during my first viewing. I have a father who is pathologically narcissistic, so watching these two felt uncomfortably familiar.
Independent George

5 years ago

Wow, that was... deeply uncomfortable. That went beyond mere ego or obstinance - there is something pathological about her behavior. She honestly and truly cannot comprehend the idea that she might be wrong, and therefore sees every dissenting view as a conspiracy against her. She is literally crazy, not figuratively.

Did anybody else get the sense that Sal is deliberately crazy? It looked to me like a situation where he understands she's nuts, but he loves her, and decided he was going to back her no matter what. And if that means he has to be crazy, too, then he's going to be crazy too. It'd be kind of sweet in its own way, if not for all the collateral damage and outright theft of the servers tips.

"If you run into an a*hole in the morning, you ran into an a*hole. If you run into a*holes all day, then you're the a*hole."
SimpleCaveman

5 years ago

Wow. That was downright painful. I'd obviously heard of all the drama surrounding the yelp reviews and such and knew going in that the Batshit was turned to 11 and yet somehow the whole thing exceeded my expectations. Stealing tips?!? I don't understand why that young lady even stuck it out the month she said shed been there. I know its tough out there but damn.

I spend a lot of time beating back the fear that deep down I'm really just another shoemaker in a world already chock full of them. I was prepared to say I wish I had half of Amy's irrational self-confidence. But what I saw is not irrational self-confidence. It's delusion. And so now I'm just sad. So many good restaurants scratching and clawing and turning out honest food and treating their people right and now the phrase "Scottsdale restaurant scene" will inevitably bring up thoughts of this place.

Brutal. Just brutal. I'm gonna go take a shower and try to pretend this never happened.
Independent George

5 years ago

transparent wrote:I rewatched tonight, and didn't catch that Amy genuinely thought Gordon was going to come in and validate her during my first viewing. I have a father who is pathologically narcissistic, so watching these two felt uncomfortably familiar.
The funny thing is, he did actually validate her on the desserts when he first arrived.

And yeah, I've also experienced that pathological narcissism in the family, and had the same uncomfortable feeling of recognition. It's the conspiracy theories that distinguish it from simple ego or irrational confidence. She cannot comprehend a dissenting opinion, so the dissent itself is evidence of a plot against her. She's not trying to be a jerk - she honestly believes it's all a plot, because it's the only way to explain why everyone's against her.

I wondered about what her own family was thinking when they saw this; it's hard to experience first-hand, but just as hard to see other people brush up against it. I'm guessing they still love her even as they find it impossible to deal with her.
Last edited by Independent George 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.