restaurants per capita

Food news, food media and other food-related topics
exit2lef

6 months ago

I'm surprised the Phoenix Metro Area is pretty far down on this list. I never seem to find time for all the places I want to try. Maybe it can be explained, at least in part, by newly developed areas on the outskirts of town where people always complain about not having enough choices. In brand new communities that are built in large phases, there may be a lag of a decade or more while restaurants move in incrementally. Note: This is not about indie restaurants vs. chains, or about full service vs. fast food, but about restaurants of any type:
http://cityobservatory.org/restaurants_ ... w4ltSiOYs0
Skillet Doux

3 months ago

Plus, restaurants are just bigger here. I'd be willing to bet that cities with more sprawl tend to be further down the list. In a sardine can metro region like San Francisco, restaurants are only going to be so big and you're going to need more of them to serve the same number of people.

Just one factor, to be sure, but I bet it figures in.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
exit2lef

2 months ago

Skillet Doux wrote:
3 months ago
Plus, restaurants are just bigger here. I'd be willing to bet that cities with more sprawl tend to be further down the list. In a sardine can metro region like San Francisco, restaurants are only going to be so big and you're going to need more of them to serve the same number of people.

Just one factor, to be sure, but I bet it figures in.
Interesting idea. If I understand you correctly, two metro areas could have the same number of restaurant seats, but in an older, denser region, those seats would be divided among a greater number of smaller restaurants. It would be interesting (although quite laborious) to measure and confirm that.