Foodnik Friday — Cocina Madrigal, 7/16 @ 11:30 AM

Share food-related events and organize meetups
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Okay, I need to find out for myself what the deal is with this place.

When Cocina Madrigal first popped up, I thought "Awesome! A new joint in South Phoenix to check out." Then, I heard the chef was touting his role in developing the menus at Z'Tejas and Taco Guild, which is... nnnnot a selling point. Then I saw the menu, which looks like it was developed by somebody who helped develop the menus at Z'Tejas and Taco Guild. So it kept getting shoved down the priority list and I never quite got around to checking it out.

Then, it BLEW UP.

People freaking love this place. Not that Yelp reviews are ever a reliable indicator of anything (*ahemmonarch*), but it's one of the highest-rated restaurants in the country. And its devotees include a number of people who should know the good stuff when they have it. (How candid they are about their assessment is the question.) And not too long ago, a member of our little PHXfn community here had some very nice things to say about it (wish I could remember who that was), so... it's time.

Who's in?
  1. Skillet Doux
  2. Skillet Doux +1
  3. NightBloom
  4. exit2lef
  5. LaPan
  6. LaPan +1
  7. The Cosmic Jester
  8. PHXeater (+½)

Cocina Madrigal
    www.cocinamadrigal.com
    4044 S 16th Street
    Phoenix, AZ 85040
Dominic Armato
NightBloom

In ;)
CRISTEN :)
IG: oldtownfoodfanatic
exit2lef

I'll come. I ate there once two or three years ago. I remember it as being a nice blend of Mexican and American favorites -- sort of like the Bread and Honey House but with full service and a slightly more upscale atmosphere.
https://phxrailfood.com
Instagram: @phxrailfood
LaPan

Uh... okay. I'll bite. Though, based on your experience not expecting to be wowed. Low expectations can create great experiences, right?

LaPan +1
IG @lapaniam
The Cosmic Jester

I’m down the street, might as well!
PHXeater

In +1 (small child +1)
exit2lef

Admittedly this is just one person's anecdote, but I'm sharing just in case someone is able to arrive a little early and claim a table:

https://phxrailfood.com
Instagram: @phxrailfood
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Oy... we're currently at 8.5, so I'll call ahead and see if they make any accommodations for large parties.
Dominic Armato
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Looks like there's a workaround to reserve a table, but I need a final headcount today. Everybody still in? Anybody sitting on the sidelines? I'm going to book us for eight sometime this afternoon, at which point we're going to be locked.
Dominic Armato
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Decided not to take any chances. We can cancel if need be. We're booked for eight.
Dominic Armato
LaPan

Sorry. Work beckoned. Me +1 are out. 🙁
IG @lapaniam