Interesting Kitchen Kickstarters

Cooking at home and sourcing ingredients
M_L

As many of you know I have a problem with amassing kitchen equipment and an even bigger Kickstarter problem. In mixing two of my greatest weaknesses I have met mostly with great success. Such as: 1st Gen Nomiku, Misen Knives (I hope arriving soon), Searzall, 2nd Gen Anova, Butterup, and a few others I do not feel like combing through my backing list on.

I figured it would be easier just to make this thread and update it every time I come across a good one.
***I am not making anything from this, if somehow I know the person running the KS I will say so, this is just me wanting to give the rest of you a heads up on interesting projects I come across, feel free to chime in if you find your own.***

For my inaugural post I figured I would hit you with a big one. Much loved by all are cast iron pans. I know we all love our Lodge pans. Maybe you even have a nice enamel one that you can clean like a normal pan. However I am certain many of you would like to have a vintage type pan like when they were cast and sanded down by hand but you might not want to sort through the mess and find one and pay the fairly high price points for them.

Solution: The Field Skillet

If I had a complaint about this it would be that it is only available as a size 8 as I would prefer a 10 but an 8 is still a great size for most things. View the page for more details. It has already exceeding its funding goal many many many times over so I would suspect it is fairly low risk but you can never tell as this is Kickstarter. However there are 5 days left to figure out if you want one.
Mike Z

This is a great Idea!

I'm curious, what would generally be the cost of a knife comparable to the Misen?
M_L

Mike Z wrote:I'm curious, what would generally be the cost of a knife comparable to the Misen?
Hard to say as they have not actually hit the wild yet but they make comparisons to knives in the 140 range. So you are looking at Wustoff's, Misono's, what they are calling "mainstream premium knives" so that probably includes shun's etc. anything that would roughly fall into that range.
Tim H

This isn't a Kickstarter, but Kenji at Serious Eats has a code for 20 bucks off a Mini Baking Steel Griddle (MINIme at checkout). The deal ends tomorrow, April 24, at midnight.

I was on the fence until I remembered I've been wanting to cook okonomiyaki at home for years. Only the lack of a griddle has stopped me. This might be the perfect solution for that. Plus pizzas, etc.
There is nothing either good or bad but gravy makes it so. - Kevin Hearne
M_L

I have a friend who can fabricate steel and made me one for a quarter of the price. So if you are interested in that let me know.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
HrHamada

Mike Z wrote: I'm curious, what would generally be the cost of a knife comparable to the Misen?
I DO want to encourage new products and small business. And we should make some allowance for the entrepreneur vs a head to head comparison with a mass produced knife that has the advantage of infrastructure being already paid for, name recognition and economy of scale.
At 55-65 first release price is very competitive with mass market knives. The current price of that knife would be about fairly priced IF compared head to head with a mass market knife.

There has been a lot of press on this, most of it a bit suspect.
It is only made of AUS8 steel. Even my 4 year old grand daughter has a knife made from AUS8. (I am NOT kidding)
Despite the press, AUS 8 is not very hard on the Rockwell scale, nor is 16 degrees excessively steep blade angle it's actually a pretty good sweet spot).

I've used one only once so this is far from a comprehensive review. I liked the balance, weight, ergonomics, shape (the belly/profile, taper, etc)
At about 75-100 it probably is still close to competitive with a comparable mass market knife
I like AUS 8 is probably within the same general range as 440B and "german steel" (it has a touch more carbon, which is a good thing)

As a way to support small business, I would still consider getting one, but only because of that. There are plenty of good knives that are better at about the same price point from online retailers or from our beloved local Phoenix Knife House.
Corey and Etien have a Tojiro DP with a VG10 core for about the same price and had (don't know if they still have some) a Tojiro with a Super Aogami core in the same price range. Both FAR superior steel and brand name that has stood the test of time (they've got lots of other great stuff, too)
M_L

These are not kickstarters but Amazon Primeday Deals:

Modernist at home for 75
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0982761015/re ... KQ1TT243G5

At 10:54 the full Modernist set will be on sale
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0982761007/re ... KQ1TT243G5