Instant Pot pressure cooker

Cooking at home and sourcing ingredients
phxmacbear

Came here thinking I was behind the curve and there'd be a big huge thread on the Instant Pot pressure cooker. Unless my search game is way off, I don't see any discussion. I've used pressure cookers on and off over the years, but not heavily. Husband loves them so when I saw a Black Friday deal on Amazon for this fancy new style all-in-one pressure cooker, I ordered it. It's a 7-in-1 device: pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, yogurt maker, etc. It has pre-set buttons, as well as manual control. There's even one model that has an app which you can use to load in recipe programs and monitor timers, etc.

If you've never used a pressure cooker, or thought they were some scary thing from the 1950s that results in exploding pots and scraping pea soup off the ceiling, you should rethink them. They've come a long way. The nice thing about the Instant Pot is its self-regulation, and no whistling/steam venting noise as you cook. It's quiet. That AND that you can put FROZEN chicken and seasonings and broth in it and have dinner ready in 20 minutes.

I am having a ball using it. Hard boiled Eggs, garlic lemon chicken, yogurt, pot roasts, Pho, etc. I even made a big pancake (it wasn't great, but it was fun to make...and it really had a bao-like consistency, so that gave me some ideas)

I know there are tons of Facebook groups and websites devoted to recipe exchange and tips, so I'm not looking to recreate that here. BUT --- I would be interested to know if anyone here is using one and what their favorite/tried-and-true recipes are. Also, maybe how to recreate some dishes that match our local tastes - good Sonoran style beef, red chile, etc. So much of the FB groups are midwestern/Canadian casserole, mac-n-cheese type stuff. That's good on occasion, but it's not what i typically crave.
thunes

I got an Instant Pot last spring after hearing raves about it on a plant based group. It's a great tool to have, and I use it frequently. I prep dried beans and grains in bulk, and then freeze in smaller portions. I've transitioned to making most of my soups and chili in the Instant Pot which saves me from sweating over the stove. I love it for making baked potatoes too.

Sorry I can't contribute any meaty Southwestern dishes being a vegetarian, but I think this is a great thread to get other foodies to embrace the pressure cooker. I'll have to try hard boiled eggs in it soon!
phxmacbear

I haven't made any soups yet - I should probably do that before we get back into 90 degree days!
And while I do eat meat, I am very fond of vegetarian meals, especially of the Asian/Indian variety. I will be making some dal and rajma in the Instant Pot soon. I think I will appreciate being able to throw it all in the pot, dry beans and all, and come back to a finished dish. Like you said - no sweating over the stove!
Tim H

I am sorely tempted to get this. I try to make chicken stock with the leftovers whenever I buy a Costco roast chicken, which is pretty often. But my stock takes four hours, so I usually wait for the weekend, and then I may or may not get around to it. After reading Kenji's article on pressure cooker stock, I really really want a pressure cooker, and this one seems like the perfect size for a single roast chicken. And quick red beans and rice? Sign me up.

It's just the kitchen space (or lack thereof) that stops me. We've spent the past year simplifying and reducing possessions, etc. But man could I use this thing.Where can I hide it where the wife won't find it?
There is nothing either good or bad but gravy makes it so. - Kevin Hearne
phxmacbear

Well, since you asked...
It fits perfectly inside this IKEA multi-purpose shelving unit. I just snuck it (along with a second crock pot) into one of the slots with a door on it. :lol:
Hidden Instant Pot.jpg
Hidden Instant Pot.jpg (95.23 KiB) Viewed 9984 times
Nac Mac Feegle

I really like mine. Got it a couple months ago, before Thanksgiving, and actually made three of the side dishes with it.

It can cut the times on a lot of dishes, and it does wonders on tough meats.

Using it to steam the potatoes makes REALLY good mashers in much less time.

Since it has a saute function, it can cut down on the dishes, too.

I'd like to see more mention of Pressure Cookers around here, too; they're so handy.
HrHamada

Just remember that this is just one of many electric cooker brands and that a manual unit can do everything an electric can do.
Some manual and some electric ones have two pressure settings (which I find useful), but of course, no programming. I'm not likely to use programmed features, that's why I've been putting it off. But the one program I'd use is for canning which is where an electric model would really shine over a stove top model, so I'm getting ready to take the plunge.

I have one problem with the infomercials because they show the pot being used at tull capacity. For best results, fill only 2/3 full. So a 6qt one is best used with 4 qt full, a 8 qt with about 6 qt full and a 10 qt with about 7qt full.
(also pre-fry or sear your ingredients)

I am liking the convenience and safety of these new electrics and thinking about picking one up. The prices have drifted down pretty well and the amount of programs is sneaking upwards and more companies are jumping on the bandwagon

I'm currently using a fagor 2 pressure, stovetop model and a small Cuckoo induction low pressure electric model (in reality, it's really a high end rice cooker) and will be looking into an electric model when the weather starts to cook down again. I see they now have 10QT models which is making it hard for me to keep putting it off
Desert Gal

I have a basic Rapida (Fagor) pressure cooker and it works great! It must be 10 years old. It has a lid that fits two different pots - one that holds about 4 quarts and one that holds much more (never use it). It has a release valve for the steam so you can open the pot in a few minutes. Such simple and functional design. I'm pretty sure an Instant Pot would confuse the hell out of me.
HrHamada

well, amazon prime day made it too hard to resist. they had the 7 in 1 Duo (high and low pressure) 6QT model (which means about 4 real quarts usable) on sale for only 69 bucks. I've used a stovetop version for many many years, gonna try an electric. Too good a deal to pass up.
NightBloom

HrHamada wrote:Too good a deal to pass up.
I bought one too!
CRISTEN :)
IG: oldtownfoodfanatic
PHXeater

I thought about it a little too long and decided I had enough kitchen gadgets. What was I thinking?!?
M_L

Me three. I believe CosmicJester caved as well.
Maybe you were thinking you have most of the devices that the Instant Pot replaces and you like all that stuff taking up space?
The Cosmic Jester

You are correct; I got one and so far adore it. The slow cooker will likely fall by the wayside in short order here. The Instant Pot does a decent job with white rice (in only 15 minutes start to finish!), but my souped up Zojirushi rice cooker still does a much better job.
Tim H

I broke in my Insta Pot tonight with red beans and rice. I used this recipe, which calls for 1.5 pounds of beans (pictured), but reduced the beans to 1 pound and scaled the recipe accordingly. Seemed right for the size of the cooker. I did not presoak the beans. Per another recipe, I used 5 cups of water for 1 pound of red beans.

The prep time, including searing the sausage and sauteing the veg, took about 40 minutes (I did both using the Saute function of the Insta Pot). Per the Insta Pot website, I cooked the beans for 30 minutes under high pressure, but they weren't quite done, so I put them under for another 6 minutes, and they were perfect. So 35 minutes plus a 20 minute cooldown under pressure should be about right.

So I can have red beans and rice for 40 minutes prep work and an hour of waiting. No presoak required. I'm happy with that.

Edit: My wife says "It's Instant Pot." Oh.
redbeansrice_ingredients.jpg
redbeansrice_ingredients.jpg (102.31 KiB) Viewed 8665 times
Insta Pot Red Beans and Rice
Insta Pot Red Beans and Rice
redbeansrice2.jpg (55.73 KiB) Viewed 8665 times
davej

Attempted to break in my new insta pot yesterday. Figured beef tendon would be a good test. I got some tendon and beef shank cuts from LeLe's and found a cantonese beef and tendon stew recipe online. Put the pot in saute mode and browned the meat for a bit, threw all the sauces and etc in and cooked it for 50 mins. Checked the tendons and they are quite stiff still, but the meat is already tender. Threw in a bunch of daikon cubes and cooked it for another 30 just to be sure. Came out really great. Tendon in the exact right gelatinous texture. Probably need less than the extra 30 mins to finish. More experimenting needed...
Tim H

davej wrote:Attempted to break in my new insta pot yesterday. Figured beef tendon would be a good test.... Came out really great. Tendon in the exact right gelatinous texture.
Dave, that sounds great. I've never actually had beef tendon, so I'll have to try that.

I made chicken stock last night in my Instant Pot. Until now, I've been cooking my stock for four hours to get the maximum flavor and body*. But that means I can't cook stock until the weekends when I'd rather be cooking something else, and I'm just not getting around to it as often as I'd like.

In the Instant Pot, I cooked the chicken stock under high pressure for one hour, chilled it, and it's nice and jiggly this morning. It could be a little more gelled, but I'm probably not using quite as much chicken as I should. But I'll freeze this batch and use what's left as the base for my next batch. I do not add gelatin after the fact, not because I'm opposed to it, I just don't want to be that fussy with it.

Recipe: 1 roast chicken (I like Costco), breast meat removed for sandwiches. 1 onion, 2 carrots, 1 bay leaf. I filled the Instant Pot to just cover the chicken, about one mark below the 4 liter mark. Cooked it under high pressure for one hour.

*Per the chart on pg. 181 of The Food Lab cookbook, not the quick recipe on pg. 187, which calls for a shorter cook and added gelatin for body.