Sous Vide Cookery at Home

Cooking at home and sourcing ingredients
artvandelay

3 years ago

Tim H wrote:Three-pound prime tomahawk steak cooked sous vide at 131°F for three hours. The bone was too long to fit in a gallon size ziploc bag, so I shortened it with a hacksaw.
20161007_173910.jpg
20161007_174245.jpg
That looks amazing. Did you sear it on the baking steel or did you torch it?
Tim H

3 years ago

Yep, that's a baking steel, and that's what I used to sear the steak. Don't have a blowtorch. I like the baking steel. I've used it for pizzas, diner-style burgers, and cooking those refrigerated uncooked tortillas you can get at Walmart (it's big enough to cook two at a time). It's really heavy though and hard to lift off the flat stove, so I just leave it there and clean it in place.

The pork shoulder for the tacos pictured here is cooked sous vide overnight at 160 F, then cut into cubes and simmered with a half cup of salsa. The fresh TortillaLand tortillas are really good.
20161028_114249(0).jpg
20161028_114249(0).jpg (59.5 KiB) Viewed 1446 times
There is nothing either good or bad but gravy makes it so. - Kevin Hearne
M_L

3 years ago

Fired up my Joule tonight. The device and app are by far the most elegant of well done of any Sous-Vide product I have used.

It is a little splashy if you pot is shallow the magnet is an awesome feature. Will probably go back to the Cambo next time but wanted to try this out.

The app for it is light years better than Anova's.

PHXeater

3 years ago

Anyone done a prime rib sous vide? For one of my 4 thanksgivings (seriously) we're doing a prime rib for only 6 people so thought of my anova of course.
Tim H

3 years ago

I did one for Christmas last year (boneless). Here's a quote of my post from page 5 of this thread. If you finish it on the grill, be ready (unlike me) for massive flareups from the fat.

Next time I try it, I'd sous vide it at 135°F for 8 hours.
Tim H wrote:Cooked a 7 lb. boneless prime rib roast sous vide for Christmas eve dinner at 140°F for 11 hours, and was very happy with the results (used sous vide mainly to free up oven space). Seared it on the grill. My family generally like beef medium, and it was perfect for them while remaining incredibly tender and moist.

One minor issue was that the meat was just beginning to get a slight chalky texture, barely noticeable, but I suspect it would have been better to cook it a shorter time, maybe 8 hours. Still a great success, and I'll probably do it again for family events. So nice to have the oven free all day for other things.

Technique borrowed from Dave Cheung on youtube.

Made a quick gravy too, but the best condiment was this horseradish cream sauce. Easy and awesome.
PHXeater

3 years ago

Thanks, Tim! I was on my phone and too lazy to scroll through all the pages. 8 hours at 135 sounds about right. I hadn't even thought about saving oven space but that's definitely a huge benefit!
Tim H

3 years ago

M_L, get thee behind me! You tempted me with that beautiful Joule, but I resisted.

PHXeater, please post results if you do the prime rib!

My wife is in Thailaind, so I've been doing lots of steak, buying 3 or 4 ribeyes at Costco and seasoning them and freezing them in Ziploc bags. I eat them right off the cutting board partly to try my hand at board sauces, partly to save washing an extra dish. If they aren't frozen, I sous vide them for an hour, if frozen 1.25 to 1.5 hours. (Process totally stolen from the Food Lab.)
20161121_114525.jpg
Steaks prepped for freezing
20161121_114525.jpg (114.86 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
steak_127.jpg
Ribeye cooked at 127°F
steak_127.jpg (121.36 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
steak_125.jpg
Ribeye cooked at 125°F
steak_125.jpg (114.71 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
M_L

3 years ago

Tim I do the exact same thing with the Costco steaks. It works ridiculously well. The seasoning before you vac seal them is key as you pop it out of the freezer and drop it in. Initially I had been sealing them without then thawing seasoning and trying to put back in the same bag and that was problematic.

Also I am certain you want me to be in front of you, displaying the Joule for the shining beacon it is. I am not lying when I say that it is bar none better than the 3 other SV machines I have. Speaking of which I have a KS exclusive color Anova Bluetooth for sale if anyone is interested.

The size, the simplicity, the design, the vastly better app all combine to make it a great point for those who have been on the fence getting into SV. For those who are not aware the two main people behind ChefSteps are two of the Modernist Cuisine chefs so they do not mess around. Further if you are a gaming person the Joule was backed by Gabe Newell of Valve fame.