Sous Vide Cookery at Home

Cooking at home and sourcing ingredients
azhotdish

3 years ago

You really should take it out of the water bath and chill it in an ice bath if you're not searing and serving immediately.
---
Joel
@azhotdish
artvandelay

3 years ago

Thanks. That is what I did. I took it from the water bath into an ice bath and then into the freezer to cool it down fast and then the fridge until I was ready to go. I rewarmed it by placing it back into the SV at the target temperature for 45 minutes. It came out perfectly cooked with no noticeable change in texture at all.
LaPan

3 years ago

Kenji tests steak sear methods

http://youtu.be/JB1x0O-bhrw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LaPan

3 years ago

I'd never heard of Himalayan salt blocks for cooking.

Has anybody tried using one for searing after sous vide?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Cooking ... /?ALLSTEPS
M_L

3 years ago

I have one I got as a gift but I have yet to use it. Maybe I will try tonight with some hamburgers.
PHXeater

3 years ago

LaPan wrote:Kenji tests steak sear methods

http://youtu.be/JB1x0O-bhrw

I spent far too much of my work day watching that just now but it was interesting. I wish he had done a cast iron pan as a comparison as well since that's what I usually sear in. I know he has lots of articles that touch on similar concepts but still fun to watch vs. read about. And now I think I need to go buy some steaks for tonight...
M_L

3 years ago

LaPan wrote:I'd never heard of Himalayan salt blocks for cooking.

Has anybody tried using one for searing after sous vide?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Cooking ... /?ALLSTEPS
Tried it last night on my hamburgers I did not feel like it was searing it so much as just cooking it more. I might try again with some thicker burgers but my searzall works so well there is not much motivation to change it.
LaPan

3 years ago

What temp did you get the salt up to? Is there a max?

M_L

3 years ago

LaPan wrote:What temp did you get the salt up to? Is there a max?

Around 600. No idea.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Tim H

3 years ago

I saw Kenji's piece on sous vide brisket, and then saw prime brisket at Costco for $3.19 a pound. Had to try it. 36 hours at 155°F, then 2 hours in the oven at 300°F. I cut the 12 pound brisket into thirds to fit into gallon size ziploc bags.

As good as Little Miss BBQ? No. Better than any brisket I've ever cooked at home? By a long shot.

(I cut this the wrong way in the photo -- but honestly it didn't matter. Tender and juicy with the grain and against the grain.)
sv_brisket.jpg
Sous vide brisket
sv_brisket.jpg (118.84 KiB) Viewed 2030 times
There is nothing either good or bad but gravy makes it so. - Kevin Hearne
Independent George

3 years ago

So I've had an Anova sitting in my shopping cart forever, and I think I'm going to pull the trigger soon. Can anyone tell me if this strategy would work with the Wi-Fi enabled model?

7:30 AM: Pack my sealed and chilled meat in a modified cooler filled with an ice/water mixture when I leave for work.
3:30 PM: Activate the machine via Wi-Fi at around 3-4 PM, while I'm at work.
6:00 PM: Arrive home to perfectly cooked meat that needs only a quick sear and some rice for a complete meal.
M_L

3 years ago

Independent George wrote:So I've had an Anova sitting in my shopping cart forever, and I think I'm going to pull the trigger soon. Can anyone tell me if this strategy would work with the Wi-Fi enabled model?

7:30 AM: Pack my sealed and chilled meat in a modified cooler filled with an ice/water mixture when I leave for work.
3:30 PM: Activate the machine via Wi-Fi at around 3-4 PM, while I'm at work.
6:00 PM: Arrive home to perfectly cooked meat that needs only a quick sear and some rice for a complete meal.
The question is certainly whether it would be safe to leave the meat that way. I often fill a cambro with water with my Anova setup in it. I turn the outlet on remotely via a Belkin WeMo switch then turn the Anova on remotely and the water is ready to go when I get home. Not as awesome as food being ready but it does save me some time for the water to heat up. Just drop the bag in and go.
Independent George

3 years ago

M_L wrote:The question is certainly whether it would be safe to leave the meat that way. I often fill a cambro with water with my Anova setup in it. I turn the outlet on remotely via a Belkin WeMo switch then turn the Anova on remotely and the water is ready to go when I get home. Not as awesome as food being ready but it does save me some time for the water to heat up. Just drop the bag in and go.
That's the reason my proposed set up is to pack a cheap cooler full of ice, and see if the water can stay below 40 degrees before turning the heat on. And if it does stay chilled that long, how much extra time does it take to come up to temperature? If the temp rises too quickly, the other option is to freeze the entire container (with the vacuum pack inside it) as a solid block of ice - maybe using a bit of PVC as a mold to leave a cylinder where the machine could fit.

The ideal setup would be something like Rocketman's, except the interior of the cooler would be filled with an ice/water mixture.

I'm just brainstorming for now; obviously, this is actually going to require an experiment, but it's not in my budget until October.
M_L

3 years ago

I would say test it on a weekend checking the temp every 30 - 60 min to see if it stays in the zone. I would put a temp inside so you are not opening and closing.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Tim H

3 years ago

Good idea, George. You can freeze the meat as well. I've been buying four-packs of steaks at Costco and seasoning and freezing the extras in freezer bags, then dumping them straight from the freezer into the sous vide bath, adding an extra 30 minutes for defrosting. This is straight from the Food Lab, works well.
BillBuitenhuys

3 years ago

My guess is that all of you serious sous vide people already are up on all of this stuff but this sure looks like a good database.....

eGullet Sous Vide Index
Independent George

2 years ago

The Anova is on sale at Amazon. The bluetooth model is $129, the Wi-Fi model is at $169, down from the usual prices of $149 and $199 respectively.

ETA: I tested her out tonight. Holy crap; what a game changer. A Trader Joe's strip steak that was in the back of my freezer for two years came out perfect.

Time to start the ice bath experiments...
Tim H

2 years ago

Three-pound prime tomahawk steak cooked sous vide at 131°F for three hours. The bone was too long to fit in a gallon size ziploc bag, so I shortened it with a hacksaw.
20161007_173910.jpg
20161007_173910.jpg (120.32 KiB) Viewed 996 times
20161007_174245.jpg
20161007_174245.jpg (129.73 KiB) Viewed 996 times
Last edited by Tim H 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
PHXeater

2 years ago

God I love the sous vide for steaks! That looks amazing
M_L

2 years ago

Strong work Tim. Is that the groved baking steel? If so how do you like it? They seem awesome but I just cant convince myself to pay that for a steel platter.

Reheated a tri-tip I had smoked vacuum sealed and frozen the other day used the S-V to warm it back up. it was perfect. Its pretty amazing. I am pretty interested to find out what Anova's new product will be like. The Precision Oven: https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-oven/ Honestly these people should pay me because I have sold so many units for them.

I should be getting my Chef-Steps Joule next week. Pretty excited to give it a run and see how it does.