Timpano ala Big Night Movie - Anyone made one?

Cooking at home and sourcing ingredients
Desert Gal

So for the first time in eight years, I'm tackling Timpano again. And not just one, but three Timpano's. I have food debts to pay. My version will be sans chicken livers, because no one but me seems to like them, but at 12 layers deep the big version will easily feed 24+ with leftovers. I wonder if I'm crazy tackling this task alone, but I'm giving myself three days to prepare all the ingredients (not to mention shop for them) plus make 1 full sized and 2 1/2 sized (only feeds 12 each).

In addition to the usual pasta, meat & ricotta layers (so lasagna!) I like to do a creamy Bechamel with local greens, a layer of grill roasted eggplant & summer squash, a laver of peas (or 'shrooms) in butter and the all important layer of diced provolone & Genoa salami.

If the old school Timpano is foreign to you (even Italians don't make it anymore), here is a link to the closest recipe version of the one in my head. http://www.tipsycook.com/timpano-step-b ... big-night/

Wish me luck and strong arms, as rolling out all that pasta has me worried I'll pop a tendon. :-P
The Cosmic Jester

I did a half-size one years ago. It was impressive and glorious.

You're out of your ever-loving mind to tackle three of them solo.
spicegal

The Timpano is very similar to Timbales that I make every so often. If you look up Timbales you can get more ideas for Timpanos I usually make Timbales as an all vegetable and cheese so I can just serve a small wedge as a side dish since they are so substantial. Last week I experimented and made one with a farro crust. (didn't photo that one) Timpanos and Timbales are very versatile.
Attachments
Timbale
Timbale
DSCF0635.JPG (46.05 KiB) Viewed 12219 times
MyLifeOnVacatio

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/ ... php?page=4
Along these same lines, Romeo's 'Grilled Vegetable Cake' in the link above is also incredible looking.

Desert Gal, I'd love to see your finished results!
Desert Gal

Yes I am out of my mind but that is a known fact. I'll take some photos I promise!
Desert Gal

So I got all the shopping done yesterday and the ragu is done. I plan to have all the layers prepped and the dough made and chilled tomorrow morning. I have to help at the markets this morning but I did have time to finish the baby meatballs.
003.JPG
003.JPG (69.99 KiB) Viewed 12078 times
Since I'm working solo I won't be photographing every step but this view of 5lbs of meatballs at 5am was kinda cool.

Left for when I get home today: bechamel, roasted vegies, dice the salami & provolone, peel the hardboiled eggs, make the livers (yep, screw it - they're going in!), make the dough - go to bed.

More photos tomorrow!
Desert Gal

So here are a few shots of the Timpano process and final results.
Attachments
There are so many ingredients and so many prep steps to the Timpano I will spare you dozens of photos I didn't take and just show this one of all the squash & eggplant on the grill.
There are so many ingredients and so many prep steps to the Timpano I will spare you dozens of photos I didn't take and just show this one of all the squash & eggplant on the grill.
Prep Steps.JPG (51.3 KiB) Viewed 12033 times
I dithered for days on whether to make the traditional pasta dough or a pastry dough like the one in the example recipe I posted earlier.  I finally opted for what I know - pasta dough.
I dithered for days on whether to make the traditional pasta dough or a pastry dough like the one in the example recipe I posted earlier. I finally opted for what I know - pasta dough.
sm dough start.JPG (77.66 KiB) Viewed 12033 times
Meh.  Not my favorite task and I'm seriously considering trying to piece together strips from the rolling machine next time.
Meh. Not my favorite task and I'm seriously considering trying to piece together strips from the rolling machine next time.
rolling out.JPG (76.96 KiB) Viewed 12033 times
Small ones seem easy after rolling out the big one.
Small ones seem easy after rolling out the big one.
checking size.JPG (60.13 KiB) Viewed 12033 times
Two "little" 12 serving ones.
Two "little" 12 serving ones.
12 serving dough.JPG (49.71 KiB) Viewed 12033 times
And one big 24 serving one.
And one big 24 serving one.
24 serving dough.JPG (34.01 KiB) Viewed 12033 times
Let the layers begin!  In goes penne in mushroom & pork ragu topped with baby meatballs.
Let the layers begin! In goes penne in mushroom & pork ragu topped with baby meatballs.
pasta and mushroom layer.JPG (44.72 KiB) Viewed 12033 times
Next layers are locally farmed roasted squash & eggplant and baby peas in I'itoi Onion butter.
Next layers are locally farmed roasted squash & eggplant and baby peas in I'itoi Onion butter.
roasted vegies and peas in butter layer.JPG (58.39 KiB) Viewed 12033 times
Underneath these layers of chicken livers in cognac, hardboiled eggs, Genoa salami & provolone cubes is another layer of pasta, a layer of seasoned ricotta and a layer of mixed greens in bechamel sauce.
Underneath these layers of chicken livers in cognac, hardboiled eggs, Genoa salami & provolone cubes is another layer of pasta, a layer of seasoned ricotta and a layer of mixed greens in bechamel sauce.
prov salami livers egg layer.JPG (52.18 KiB) Viewed 12033 times
A nice egg wash while the oven heats up.
A nice egg wash while the oven heats up.
Large egg brushed.JPG (52.59 KiB) Viewed 12033 times
And a few hours later, the pay off!
And a few hours later, the pay off!
3 done.JPG (68 KiB) Viewed 12033 times
I gave away the big one and the other small one so here is a shot of an un-molded small one.
I gave away the big one and the other small one so here is a shot of an un-molded small one.
Finished small one.JPG (43.98 KiB) Viewed 12033 times
The small Timpano has less layers but was darned tasty!
The small Timpano has less layers but was darned tasty!
finished small one cut open.JPG (56.62 KiB) Viewed 12033 times
PHXeater

Can you give one away to me next time? :D . That looks amazing, I'd never heard of this before and I'm very intrigued. How many hours would you say you put into this from start to finish?
Desert Gal

Hi Liz, Including planning and shopping I probably had 12-15 hours in it. I've made "lazy" ones where there is no "dough" shell, just all the layers of goodness and lots more penne pasta. I prefer smaller penne than the ones I used this time but I grabbed what I could find. Also, I've seen versions where the thick strips of roasted vegies (at least 1/2 inch before roasting or they break up) took the place of a dough shell. Then of course there is the version with pastry crust instead as well as my idea of piecing together strips from the pasta roller.

All in all, lots of effort but a huge crowd pleaser. Some folks balk at the chicken livers, so you might want to leave them out, and if you plan on freezing any, lose the hard boiled eggs and any mushrooms anywhere - they get rubbery in the freezer but everything else holds well.

On another note, I made 3 1/2 gallons of homemade sauce for these three Timpano's (from homegrown tomatoes no less), and I still could have used more pasta sauce. These monsters really suck up the sauce. When I heated a slice up yesterday (dry & covered in a 350 degree oven) I thought my pasta shell was a bit tough so I spooned some sauce over todays lunch slice before baking and it was heavenly! :D
BarbaraToombs

I agree with PHXeater...this looks AMAZING and I've also never had it. Now DYING to try it!!! :D
katfishkh

Most impressive, wow!
Do not resist temptation, you may not get another chance.
cooking in my castle

ive made one, i over cooked it a little but it was salvagable after a few drinks or so,have you ever made the meat cake? an american version on youtube,look for the hairy guy.
cooking in my castle

"epic meal time meat cake" you tube, sort of an american version of timpano.
Lunchbox

cooking in my castle wrote:"epic meal time meat cake" you tube, sort of an american version of timpano.
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
Desert Gal

Really Lunchbox? You felt compelled to seek that link out and add it to this thread? Four minutes I will never get back, plus I want to stick pencils in my eyes now. Um, thanks?
M_L

Desert Gal wrote:I want to stick pencils in my eyes now. Um, thanks?
I think that is pretty much the point of all Epic Meal Time bits.
Desert Gal

M_L wrote:
Ok, well, then I feel license to post this. Because if you have kids at home and care about them, this might be 20 minutes well spent, if you have an attention span that long, Lunchbox. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rixyrCNVVGA
Lunchbox

Desert Gal wrote:
M_L wrote:
Ok, well, then I feel license to post this. Because if you have kids at home and care about them, this might be 20 minutes well spent, if you have an attention span that long, Lunchbox. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rixyrCNVVGA
I was merely posting the the actual YouTube link using the Bulletin Board's code... To embed the file here rather than searching on YouTube for it... :D

Just like this:
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Hey, Desert Gal... when you do this, once fully assembled, how long have you successfully held it before cooking? Or does it really need to go into the oven pretty much immediately?
Dominic Armato
Desert Gal

Skillet Doux wrote:Hey, Desert Gal... when you do this, once fully assembled, how long have you successfully held it before cooking? Or does it really need to go into the oven pretty much immediately?
I'd say into the oven immediately, given all the different layers, but it usually takes us a week to finish one off, and no one is ever worse for the wear.