Food Trucks: Your favorite bite?

Dedicated to mobile food on four wheels
exit2lef

6 years ago

I finally got to experience the Lobster Lady today at the Phoenix Festival of the Arts at Hance Park. She was among half a dozen food trucks there, and I had no wait at all -- other than five minutes of food prep after I ordered. We tried the traditional Maine lobster roll, the shrimp puffs, and the lobster bisque. All were quite good with nothing lost so far from Maine. A friend of mine asked why she wasn't ever at the Downtown Phoenix Public Market. The reply was that they're on a waiting list for events like Food Truck Friday.
Attachments
IMG_6682.JPG
traditional lobster roll
IMG_6682.JPG (71.98 KiB) Viewed 2624 times
uhockey

6 years ago

I tried the same yesterday - found it pricey for what I got, but certainly not a bad set of bites. Great quality lobster to be sure. The Shrimp puffs - at 6 for $9 - were a bit oily for my tastes.
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

uhockey wrote:I tried the same yesterday - found it pricey for what I got...
Yeah, I can't disagree. It's tough to feel like you aren't overpaying, especially when you think about those massive, overstuffed lobster rolls you get on the East coast for the same price ($17, Kelly's Roast Beef, Boston), but I keep reminding myself that A) that's the East coast, and B) she's pretty much the only game in town. Until somebody start selling one of that quality that's either significantly more generous or significantly cheaper, I feel like I have to give her the benefit of the doubt and assume that's just what it costs to make a good lobster roll out here. I'm really curious about the costs involved, though.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
uhockey

6 years ago

Skillet Doux wrote:
uhockey wrote:I tried the same yesterday - found it pricey for what I got...
Yeah, I can't disagree. It's tough to feel like you aren't overpaying, especially when you think about those massive, overstuffed lobster rolls you get on the East coast for the same price ($17, Kelly's Roast Beef, Boston), but I keep reminding myself that A) that's the East coast, and B) she's pretty much the only game in town. Until somebody start selling one of that quality that's either significantly more generous or significantly cheaper, I feel like I have to give her the benefit of the doubt and assume that's just what it costs to make a good lobster roll out here. I'm really curious about the costs involved, though.
You make a good point - noca's costs more and that is the only other one I know of. Not sure on the size difference - but then again, noca's overhead is higher so I'm sure it balances out. I'm certainly not saying it was a ripoff - but if I had to do one of 'em over again I'd have the dog from Shortleash at $6 over the Lobster Roll at $17
FoodTruckOwner

6 years ago

One thing that needs to kept in mind is that the Lobster Lady's roll is $17 including TAX and a bag of chips ($1.45 in tax) I've never had Noca's lobster roll but their menu say its $23 and includes french fries. ($25.24 including tax) that's over a $8 difference plus tip.

I am extremely bias towards food trucks, just look at my username.

p.s. can I change my username?
ericeatsout

6 years ago

Tried the Lobster Lady at the Barrett-Jackson Auction this weekend. Totally and completely underwhelmed. Was it bad? No. But it seemed incredibly overpriced for a very small portion. I realize that lobster isn't cheap but I'd gladly pay more elsewhere for a better - and larger - serving when I have the lobster roll urge.

Flavor was okay, but it wasn't a very good value proposition IMHO.

FWIW, I'd rather just order a whole lobster somewhere and get the whole bug - including the tail - instead of a tiny lobster roll that had a lot of rubbery claw ends. The price differential is negligible.
lily

6 years ago

Short Leash's special dog on Saturday was sooo tasty. The Biscuit had fried green tomatoes, bacon, blue cheese dressing and lettuce. I had it with the chicken dog. I may have scared the people next to me because I was moaning the whole time I was eating it. Brad if you are listening, this one should definitely be on the rotation!
M_L

6 years ago

I had Hao Bao Truck today. The Dumplings were solid. The pickled Veg were nearly great, a wide variety of pickled items and almost all of it delicious.

I probably should have gotten the soup considering how wet and cold out it was and that it hailed on my car on the way back to work. But I regret nothing!
Lunchbox

6 years ago

M_L wrote:I had Hao Bao Truck today. The Dumplings were solid. The pickled Veg were nearly great, a wide variety of pickled items and almost all of it delicious.

I probably should have gotten the soup considering how wet and cold out it was and that it hailed on my car on the way back to work. But I regret nothing!
I had Hao Bao last week. My couple of thoughts are:

They don't serve Bao... Wtf. How can you call yourself Hao Bao truck and not have Bao?

When I ordered they were nearly out of everything. I was lusting after the noodles they were serving and I was two people behind the last order. Dumplings were good but I wish they had low sodium soy sauce to go with them. Had the pickled veg too and I agree with you, they were good.
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
PHXcowbot

4 years ago

RiteWay Catering & Food Truck
Darryl just showed up at my office complex in Tempe - I like to support local independent businesses, so I left my leftover pizza in the office refrigerator, and went out to get the gorilla po-boy; 1/2 of a pot roast sandwich, and 1/2 of a pulled pork sandwich; with tots for $9. Really good food. Pot roast was juicy and tender and delicious taste, and so was the pulled pork. and the dill pickle soaked in kool-aid was a treat.
good food and a good deal.
I'll die as I lived; alone by choice - #bachelorlife