Food Trucks: Your favorite bite?

Dedicated to mobile food on four wheels
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

Mike Todd wrote:I know that Eliot Wexler (of Noca) conducted some Sonoran dog "research" a few months back, but I don't know if/when we might see his version appear on the Nocawich menu.
I had that dog!
nocasonorandog.jpg
Sonoran Hot Dog
nocasonorandog.jpg (72.57 KiB) Viewed 3693 times
This was in December 2010, during the brief moment when Noca did late night on Wednesdays... *le sigh*
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
Mike Todd

7 years ago

Huh. That does seem vaguely familiar. Maybe he was re-researching it, but this time with Matt by his side.

Or maybe he was just looking for an excuse to visit Tucson. ;)

Oh, and I didn't think anyone was necessarily recommending the Nogales cart here, but damn, that sorry-ass dog was one of my biggest food letdowns of that year. I can still feel that soggy bread in my mouth (ptooey).
M_L

7 years ago

I would have to admit I really enjoy hitting food trucks, though it is getting to that time of year when it starts being difficult because of the heat. Here is my rundown of the ones I have had:

Pizza People might be my favorite right now, it takes a bit sometimes but is well executed and quite good.

Short Leash- has not failed me yet but I have not branched out much aside from the one or two I switch between.

Hey Joe- I really enjoy a lot of what they have to offer.

Jamburitos (sp)- I was not a fan but a lot of people seem to enjoy it. In their defense I did live in Houston for several years and it is just not as good as the cajun food I am used to in Houston and Louisiana. (And I am a spoiled shit when it comes to this, just as I am about Mexican food when in Texas)

Torched Goodness- Everything I have had I liked.

Sunshine & Spice- (on hiatus according to their twitter) I did not dislike it but was not particularly wowed by it either.

Truckn' Good Food- I only ever ate at Jeff's Cycle appearance not the truck so I could not say, but Crepe Bar will be open soon so we will all have another chance to get his creations.

I had Tacos from one of the haute taco carts and it was pretty good, but I cannot remember there name.

As for the various Sonoran Dog places they can be hit or miss and I have to be in the mood, I could not recommend one that you must go to, but I also have not been to that many.

Places I am meaning to try but have not yet: Luncha Libre, Buzznbees, Epic Hot Dogs (mostly to see how it stacks against SL), Emerson Fry Bread, Mamma Toledo, if Pizza Daux is still around, I wanted to try Paradise Melts as well but they have not had a twitter update in some time.

That is all that has popped into my addled brain right now...
D'lish

7 years ago

Luncha Libre was parked at Urban Cookies today and I was able to stop there for lunch. I had the Papa Verde Quesadilla - best quesadilla I've had - hands down. The tortilla was cooked perfectly and loaded with jack cheese, crispy fried potatoes, green chile and salsa with enough jalapeno to really give it a bite. Thick perfectly fried chips with a side of salsa were excellent as well. The menu changes daily and also includes tortas. I can't wait to try their guacamole next time.
Chase

7 years ago

I hit the food trucks at the Whole Foods on Raintree on occasion (every third THURS) and actually experienced my first Lobster Roll there with Dom. Despite hitting the wallet pretty hard, it was terrific and I hear she'll be back in November!! Short Leash and Sweet Republic have also been quite memorable, but the majority of the Coalition trucks seem to just be okay. Jamburrito had great elements in a bowl I tried, but it was a pool of grease by the time I got to the bottom.

As for old school trucks, I have been known to indulge at the semi-permanent BBQ truck outside Rhythm Room on occasion... it hits the spot when you're grabbing a show and some PBRs.
- Colleen
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

Chase wrote:I hit the food trucks at the Whole Foods on Raintree on occasion (every third THURS) and actually experienced my first Lobster Roll there with Dom. Despite hitting the wallet pretty hard, it was terrific and I hear she'll be back in November!!
And she may have fried full belly clams this time, too! She's been talking about it, apparently. Here's hoping.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Mike S

7 years ago

I hit up the Raintree gathering today and had a chance to try out a new (to me) truck, Satay hut. I got one chicken and one pork skewer. While the peanut sauce was decent, the skewers weren't anything special. I was much happier with my Short Leash special.
Chase

7 years ago

Skillet Doux wrote:More recently, I finally had a chance to check out Hey Joe, and I love the lechon kawali:

It's not heavily seasoned... I think just lightly so with some aromatics while they braise it. (Twelve hours? Fourteen hours? Something ridiculous.) Then they deep fry it and it gets this light, crisp exterior with a center that completely melts away in your mouth. Really well-executed.
Tried this today at Raintree. I have no frame of reference, as I've never had pork belly fried before & I thought it might be over the top (I think they said it was braised for 14 hours first). However, the nice crisp on the outside gave it a chewy character that I really enjoyed... quite delicious.
- Colleen
M_L

7 years ago

D'lish wrote:Luncha Libre was parked at Urban Cookies today and I was able to stop there for lunch. I had the Papa Verde Quesadilla - best quesadilla I've had - hands down. The tortilla was cooked perfectly and loaded with jack cheese, crispy fried potatoes, green chile and salsa with enough jalapeno to really give it a bite. Thick perfectly fried chips with a side of salsa were excellent as well. The menu changes daily and also includes tortas. I can't wait to try their guacamole next time.
I am a big fan of theirs, also the Luncharita drinks can be pretty awesome.
cactuschowdah

7 years ago

At the Taco Fest this weekend, discovered a food truck I had never heard of before- J-Licious. Hot pink truck, you can't miss it. They had these duck tacos that were amazing. The carnitas were excellent as well. Unlike some of the other vendors at taco fest, this is actually what they make regularly. Definitely try to seek them out at your next food truck roundup thingy. Unfortunately, they aren't at the Raintree one, which is the only one that is ever realistic for me to get to.
Lunchbox

7 years ago

cactuschowdah wrote:At the Taco Fest this weekend, discovered a food truck I had never heard of before- J-Licious. Hot pink truck, you can't miss it. They had these duck tacos that were amazing. The carnitas were excellent as well. Unlike some of the other vendors at taco fest, this is actually what they make regularly. Definitely try to seek them out at your next food truck roundup thingy. Unfortunately, they aren't at the Raintree one, which is the only one that is ever realistic for me to get to.
I agree those Duck tacos are awesome. She used to be in the food truck scene until she stopped over a year ago... She used to have a partner, now she doesn't. (It used to be called T-Licious.) So I think there's a story there but we'll never know exactly what happened. I'm glad to see her back.
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
M_L

7 years ago

Lunchbox wrote:I agree those Duck tacos are awesome. She used to be in the food truck scene until she stopped over a year ago... She used to have a partner, now she doesn't. (It used to be called T-Licious.) So I think there's a story there but we'll never know exactly what happened. I'm glad to see her back.
There is Zach and I remember seeing some of it on Twitter or FB when it happened either way their tacos are pretty solid and if that is what you are in the mood for you could do a lot worse.
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

In case anybody missed the news, the Lobster Lady is back in town. Apparently some people waited in line TWO HOURS tonight, which is simultaneously awesome and insane. Also, fried full belly clams were on the menu... not sure if they're going to be a regular or an occasional item. She has a couple more events scheduled in Old Town:
Lobster Lady wrote:November 9, and again on November 16 and 30, we will be at JAM Market, 6938 1st Street in Old Town Scottsdale from 6-8 pm.
www.mainelobsterlady.com
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
BillBuitenhuys

6 years ago

We got to 1st around 6:45 and the line was at least 60 people deep (L thought closer to 100). Plus it started raining. Now I'd been thinking of that roll for weeks but, man, that was too much.
Nam

6 years ago

Wow, thanks for the reminder the lobster lady is back! Her website states she'll be in DT Chandler noon-8pm, going to head that way after work and hope for the best!
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Got my lobster fix tonight! And the line was only eight people deep!

I didn't get photos of the lobster rolls... unsurprisingly, they look pretty much the same as last season :-) (Plus, better light.) But while simultaneously juggling two kids, two lobster rolls, three blueberry lemonades and a stroller, I somehow managed to get a pretty decent photo of the fried clams:
lobsterladyfriedclams.jpg
Fried Maine Whole Belly Clams
lobsterladyfriedclams.jpg (48.69 KiB) Viewed 3199 times
These were pretty good. The ones in the bottom of the cone were getting a little soggy, but that may very well be because with getting the kids situated, it took me ten minutes to get to them. Really, really tasty clams, though, and the ones on top had really nice, crisp breading. The garlic herb aioli is probably gilding the lily a touch, but it's really good so I'm not complaining. Shockingly, the Doux Drop was all over there. Go figure. Note: It's a pointy cone that's impossible to set down. So be prepared to eat it once they hand it off to you.

I really wanted to try Old Dixie's and hated to put it off, but I really needed that lobster fix. Sooooo I just got a little gumbo :-)
olddixiesgumbo.jpg
Chicken and Andouille Gumbo
olddixiesgumbo.jpg (58.18 KiB) Viewed 3199 times
Really good! Nice, dark chocolate roux, some funk... a little on the tame side for my tastes, but that's more a matter of stylistic preference than a quality judgment. I like my gumbo really, really intense. Also, okra. Huzzah!

A friend who we ran into also gave me a taste of his fried chicken and biscuits from Old Dixie's... and THAT is what I'll be having next time.

The Friday night setup at JAM is really nice. They get five trucks in the lot next door, and the front yard -- surrounded by picket fence -- has four or five picnic tables set up. You might have to wait a few minutes to sit down, but there was enough turnover that it wasn't a big problem. Plus, the Old Dixie's people had one table in the back of the parking lot along with some hay bales piled up to standing counter height. Convivial crowd, beautiful cool evening... it's a fun scene. Hey Joe, Mamma Toledo's, and a BBQ truck I missed the name of were there as well.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
uhockey

6 years ago

May have to swing by Lobster Lady at http://phoenixfestivalofthearts.org/food-and-beverage/ on Saturday.
Dapuma

6 years ago

Someone asked me if i knew anything about a food truck event coming up in Jan at the Salt River Field

Does anyone know what is going on there?
FoodTruckOwner

6 years ago

January 12 and 13 there will be a food truck festival. The phoenix Street Food Coalition is working closely with the organizers to prevent the shit storm that happened last year.
uhockey

6 years ago

The Cosmic Jester wrote:My favorite of late is the 7th Inning Stretch from Short Leash Hot Dogs. Schreiner's spicy beer hot link, barbecue sauce, smoked Gouda (does un-smoked Gouda even exist?), crumbled bacon, peanut butter, and Cracker Jacks. It's just stupid good. Everything comes together in sweet-and-salty madness, with the beer hot providing a little extra zing.
Had the Bratwurst "Bear" Style - Same thing with a spicy pork Brat replacing the Beer Hot Link.

No lie, "stupid good" is the only way to describe it and at $6 it hits every part of the palate like a sweet, salty, crunchy, fatty, creamy, and spicy sledgehammer. Its the sort of dish that could assuredly fail under most circumstances and fall under the "wtf" Man vs. Food category, but instead it just works.