Welcome Chicken + Donuts - Fried Chicken, Fried Dough

2015 list of restaurants that have captured our love and admiration
Joanie

4 years ago

I feel like there isn't much to say about this as I'm going to go ahead and assume from InstaGram traffic that you've all experienced the magic that is Welcome Chicken + Donuts. Yep, I've seen you with those cake donuts. I know you were there first thing on a Saturday morning to get the butterscotch pudding variety the day they did a mash=up with Queen Charleen. And oh, oh, the Vietnamese sauce. Dom, as you mentioned in the call-in to the show, this is a glimpse of the evolution of the food landscape in Phoenix. People flocking to a place that's out of the way, minimally decorated, where they have to get there early and wait in line and it's 100-freakin'-percent about the food.
That first bite of their chicken was one of my most memorable food moments in recent history and at this point, outside of Cullen's Hot Chicken (thank God he's opening Okra!) I'm forever ruined for fried chicken.
Just preachin' to the choir, right?
Dammit, now I'm whipped up into a fried chicken frenzy. Now what do do?

Welcome Chicken + Donuts is located at:
1535 East Buckeye Rd
Phoenix, Arizona 85034
Bax

4 years ago

You beat me to it.

Oh-so-crispy chicken, addictively salty/funky/amazing Vietnamese sauce. Spicy/sweet/tangy and pillowy chipotle/limon cake doughnut (not to mention all the other varieties). Friendly, accommodating staff. Semi-regular collaborations with some of the Valley's best and brightest (Little Miss, FnB, Clever Koi, Sweet Republic, Crepe Bar...). What's not to love?

One of my absolute favorites in town right now. Hooray Welcome C+D!
BillBuitenhuys

4 years ago

Perfect!
M_L

4 years ago

I really enjoy what they do here. The chicken is great and while I prefer mine without any of the sauces I can understand why others like them. I appreciate that they are willing to really stretch out and make some creative flavored donuts. Awesome pick.
Mike Z

4 years ago

Thumbs way up! Have they really only been around for six months?

Above and beyond the chicken and donuts, which are killer, is the sense that you never know what they're going to come up with next. Why a Sunday ramen special? Why not? Why is Charlene Badman coming over to do a Saturday special? Why not? If their FB page said they were going to start doing pizza on Tuesday mornings and now have a counter selling auto parts, I wouldn't be surprised at all
azhotdish

4 years ago

Probably the second easiest nomination besides LMBBQ. Definitely support this one - great stuff.
---
Joel
@azhotdish
artvandelay

4 years ago

Agreed that this one is a no-brainer. Great fried chicken, fantastic donuts, creative collaborations with other local food talent--these guys have hit a home run.
ScottofStrand

4 years ago

For sure, this is a standout. Thinking back on the last year, Welcome Chicken and Little Miss are the first two things that come to mind. They embody the "do less, do better" philosophy.
BarbaraToombs

4 years ago

Yup! Have just been there once, but that was all I needed to know that this place is definitely FNA-worthy!
NightBloom

4 years ago

I ate at WC+D three times in one week when I finally made it over there. And, they have a big hand in helping me overcome my aversion to chicken! Some of my employees prefer the donuts, but it's the Vietnamese chx speaks to my food-lovin soul.
IMG_20150129_122303.jpg
IMG_20150129_122303.jpg (156.72 KiB) Viewed 3969 times
IMG_20150129_054727.jpg
Breakfast too!
IMG_20150129_054727.jpg (106.03 KiB) Viewed 3969 times
Attachments
IMG_20150129_053526.jpg
IMG_20150129_053526.jpg (113.25 KiB) Viewed 3969 times
CRISTEN :)
IG: oldtownfoodfanatic
chrislee

4 years ago

Yeah, 1000% in on WC+D.

Probably the place on the board we've most visited this year with ballet Saturdays. We're only a couple of miles away for many, many hours on Saturdays so we've been there a ton and brought a hoard of ballet moms there.

Awesome donuts of course, great coffee (love the full cream & simple syrup condiments at times) and the chicken is absolutely epic.

We fall into the order the sauce on the side camp. The crispy skin is just too beautiful not to mess with. And we can always dip into our favorite sauces. For Heather and me, it's the Vietnamese sauce and the kids love the Japanese BBQ.
Skillet Doux

4 years ago

Along with Little Miss and Noble, one of the most exciting openings since the last FNA cycle. They're totally killing it, and they're doing it with spunk and charm.

A perfect addition to the list. FNA yes!
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
Lunchbox

4 years ago

Craving chicken now... +1
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
MyLifeOnVacatio

4 years ago

I can only speak to the donuts - which are excellent! Each one a work of art. I brought home a dozen to visiting family and my uncle said, no less than 8 times, "man, these are the best donuts I've ever had!", which sums it up perfectly for me too. Now, to get over there for chicken one of these days!!
Skillet Doux

4 years ago

Welcome Chicken + Donuts has been named to the 2015 Food Nerd Approved list.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com