Food Nerd Approved - Discussion

Details and discussion about the FNA program
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

fna.jpg
I'd say those turned out pretty well!

I'll be in touch with all of the nominating members to figure out distribution logistics.

Woo!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dominic Armato
ScottofStrand

Looks great! Nice work.
BarbaraToombs

Awesome, Dom!!! Do you need contributions towards that???
M_L

BarbaraToombs wrote:Awesome, Dom!!! Do you need contributions towards that???
What she said...
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Offer appreciated, guys, but no need, certainly for this year, at least.

Thanks, though :-)
Dominic Armato
andrewknoc

Cafe Ga Hyang's sticker & certificate will be presented to them over a late(ish) meal, to which everyone is invited. This Wednesday at 9pm. Hope to see many of you there!
Mike Todd

Just wanted to note that when I was in at Taylor Street today, I saw that they had their certificate prominently displayed at the register. :D
Desert Gal

So is this the place to post our ruminations on submissions for FNA 2014 or is there another thread for 2014 nominations.

I nominate Al Zohour. Just sayin'.
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

It'll be obvious in about 36 hours, Desert Gal :-)
Dominic Armato
AZLobo

I can't seem to post a topic to it.
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

AZLobo wrote:I can't seem to post a topic to it.
Oh, for cryin' out--

...fixed.

*facepalm*
Dominic Armato
Lunchbox

Nice job on 2014 nominations kids! We have a nice little list here... There are places I look forward to trying again as it's been a little while. The next few are going to be a delicious couple of weeks...
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Hey, all!

The nominations of Pizzeria Bianco and 'Pomo have raised a question that I think we need to address. How do we handle it when somebody nominates a restaurant that has more than one location? For some restaurants, one location is pretty much the same as another. But that's not always the case. So does FNA apply to a singular location, or all of them? Or is that at the discretion of whoever makes the nomination? Or at the discretion of the panel? With Pizzeria Bianco, for example, the nomination is for the T&C location, but the menu is almost exactly the same as the downtown location. So do we consider anything written about the downtown location, or only about the T&C location? The 'Pomo nomination is not location-specific. So do we consider both in aggregate and only list it as FNA if we feel that all of the locations should be on the list?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.
Dominic Armato
exit2lef

Skillet Doux wrote:Hey, all!

The nominations of Pizzeria Bianco and 'Pomo have raised a question that I think we need to address. How do we handle it when somebody nominates a restaurant that has more than one location? For some restaurants, one location is pretty much the same as another. But that's not always the case. So does FNA apply to a singular location, or all of them? Or is that at the discretion of whoever makes the nomination? Or at the discretion of the panel? With Pizzeria Bianco, for example, the nomination is for the T&C location, but the menu is almost exactly the same as the downtown location. So do we consider anything written about the downtown location, or only about the T&C location? The 'Pomo nomination is not location-specific. So do we consider both in aggregate and only list it as FNA if we feel that all of the locations should be on the list?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.
I've wrestled with this on my own blog: Do I consolidate multiple locations into one review or write each site up individually?

There are a few ways to look at the issue:

1) Is the menu 100% identical at both locations? In the case of Pizzeria Bianco, the answer is no because the T&C location has some pasta entrees not found at Heritage Square.

2) Are there variations from one site to another in the quality of the food? Certainly that can happen due to differences in staff competence and kitchen facilities.

2) Are there non-food differentiators among different locations of the same restaurant? Does one location have better service or a nicer atmosphere than another? Does one location accomplish a social good (adaptive reuse of an historic building, infill of a vacant lot, access via multiple modes of transport) more than another?

#1 and #2 seem ways of deciding that are fully aligned with this board's mission. #3 matters to me but maybe not to this board.
LaPan

I'll chime in here in regards to the multi-location question with my opinion.

1. If they use the same name then I'd put them together, just identifying the one location that earned them their nomination and include the other addresses in the post. Because that's how most people find their places, by name.

2. If they use different names but the same menu, then I'd go back to number 1 and if they get an award then just post a link that goes back to the original post while noting any significant differences (ambiance, service, food quality if any).

3. If they use different names with different menus then they should stand on their own. And, if in the case of our Pizzerias in question, the one that adds something the other doesn't, perhaps the better one should get the nod and note the lesser (by menu choices) in the post.

That's my $.02
BarbaraToombs

I like LaPan's take on this!
Desert Gal

It seems a shame not to mention the other similar locations in some way, if only for discussion of the consistencies or lack of?
Desert Gal

Desert Gal wrote:It seems a shame not to mention the other similar locations in some way, if only for discussion of the consistencies or lack of?
It is kinda weird to "quote" myself but I do it because I never have a deep or complete thought at one time and need it as a reference.

I'm wondering....what if ONLY the nominated location gets the FNA award this year, but we include details about the other locations for people to weigh in on throughout the coming year? If the other locations measure up, perhaps they could get a free ride and associated nomination if said "parent" location is nominated again for FNA 2015? That way no one would lose a vote next round for a second location and the associated joints that are truly deserving (like in the case of Bianco, IMHO, and then Pane Bianco could be included at least as a mention) our threads could be a more complete resource. I don't see myself nominating any Fox restaurants soon, but for those enterprising local restaurateurs willing to Captain more than one competent ship, it would be nice to see reference of some sort, even if only one location has our FNA blessing.
PHXeater

So the list this year is awesome but it's also BIG. I don't think there should be a limit exactly, but have there been thoughts on maybe only 50% or so can get in? Or even a smaller percentage? It just seems like a huge number of nominees.

This isn't a suggestion but perhaps more of a discussion that can be had.
BarbaraToombs

Actually, Liz, there are less NEW FNA winners than there were last year (11, as opposed to 19 in 2013). Don't forget a chunk of those on the list this year are renewals!

Including renewals, I believe there are 21 on the list this year, only two more than last year. :)