Food Nerd Approved - Discussion

Details and discussion about the FNA program
M_L
Posts: 980
Joined: 9 years ago

Post

I am not attempting to curb discourse I am attempting to curb slowly building thinly veiled animosity on all sides.
Perhaps I am seeing it incorrectly my point is that feel free to discuss but tone down the rhetoric.

I will agree there has been a lot of chiming in (myself included) and very little discussion, the reason being that the majority of the places posted so far are all places most of the people active regularly go to. It is not a subject of Dom and his cabal (haha) controlling the selections but those who thus far have chosen to engage.

So again: Less antagonism, more discussion

Kthxbye, Love, Luck, & Lollipops.
User avatar
Skillet Doux
Site Admin
Posts: 3456
Joined: 9 years ago

Post

Conversation is exactly the point, and man, if we don't disagree and talk about it, we're definitely doing something wrong. Groupthink is always something to be wary of on these board, whether because people want to agree, or de facto because those who disagree prefer not to make waves.

I think M_L just thought (correctly, IMHO) that it was starting to get a bit circular, and that it would be great (it would!) if some of the lurkers were to jump in (wink wink, nudge nudge).

I love that the passion's coming out :-)
Dominic Armato
User avatar
Skillet Doux
Site Admin
Posts: 3456
Joined: 9 years ago

Post

(Also... Ixnay on the abalcay!!!)

:-D
Dominic Armato
PHXeater
Moderator
Posts: 600
Joined: 8 years ago

Post

Random question....how many places will get the FNA label?
M_L
Posts: 980
Joined: 9 years ago

Post

There is no hard cap that I have read. I believe it is whatever the community supports.
User avatar
Skillet Doux
Site Admin
Posts: 3456
Joined: 9 years ago

Post

PHXeater wrote:Random question....how many places will get the FNA label?
We'll find out in a couple of weeks :-)

There's no quota. If a place is nominated and the panel feels it has the support, both historically and in the nomination thread, we'll put it on the list. Where we draw the line will be based on the level of enthusiasm and support we feel is appropriate, not the number of restaurants.
Dominic Armato
User avatar
Skillet Doux
Site Admin
Posts: 3456
Joined: 9 years ago

Post

This just came up in the La Grande Orange nomination thread, but it has very important broad implications for Food Nerd Approved, so I wanted to put it here to be sure people see it:
Skillet Doux wrote:
PHXeater wrote:Is this place FNA? I don't know, that's for the judges to decide...
It is most emphatically not for the judges to decide!

The panel's task is not to decide whether they think a place should be Food Nerd Approved.

The panel's task is to decide whether they think the community believes a place should be Food Nerd Approved.

When I cast my vote as a panel member, my feelings about LGO have no more bearing than anybody else's. Rather I'll re-read everything that's been written here over the past year about LGO, re-read the nomination thread, and decide whether I think LGO has "captured the love and admiration" of the community.

Just to clarify :-)
Dominic Armato
PHXeater
Moderator
Posts: 600
Joined: 8 years ago

Post

Dom - agreed, but it's the judges ultimate decision of what places gets the label, not just my decision. And so much of it has to do with others in the community having been to a place.
User avatar
Skillet Doux
Site Admin
Posts: 3456
Joined: 9 years ago

Post

PHXeater wrote:Dom - agreed, but it's the judges ultimate decision of what places gets the label, not just my decision. And so much of it has to do with others in the community having been to a place.
That's true. My point is mainly that "that's for the judges to decide" is the precise opposite of what we're trying to do. Don't wait for us to tell you. You tell us.
Dominic Armato
User avatar
Dapuma
Posts: 567
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Scottsdale

Post

Shinbay and atlas need some love heh
User avatar
chrislee
Posts: 172
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

Post

Anybody still out there? Bianco not getting a nom is a crime. Mine's already spent.
DesertDoc
Posts: 84
Joined: 9 years ago

Post

Agreed. Maybe everyone should be allowed to make 2 recommendations!
User avatar
Dapuma
Posts: 567
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Scottsdale

Post

Should have an "arise from you grave" thread (altered beast for genesis voice over or arcade version works

Everyone votes for the resto that got left out and the one with the most votes gets the award as well

Mine is for Atlas Bistro, they should have gotten one for sure
User avatar
BarbaraToombs
Posts: 1471
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Chandler/Tempe, Arizona

Post

Well, considering there are around 250 people on this forum, I would think the hope would be that more people would submit nominations! It would be nice to see more people "involved," which to me seems to be one of the points of PFN. Start and contribute to threads, come to events, nominate restaurants! If just the same core people do all the nominating, it doesn't really help us grow as a community.

Sure, Bianco and Atlas should be FNA, as should Beckett's Table and Brat Haus, IMO. But I guess they'll have to wait for the next round...
User avatar
Skillet Doux
Site Admin
Posts: 3456
Joined: 9 years ago

Post

BarbaraToombs wrote:Well, considering there are around 250 people on this forum, I would think the hope would be that more people would submit nominations! It would be nice to see more people "involved," which to me seems to be one of the points of PFN. Start and contribute to threads, come to events, nominate restaurants! If just the same core people do all the nominating, it doesn't really help us grow as a community.
On the nosey.

We're not going to get everything, and certainly not on the first go-'round. This list won't be comprehensive, but it also isn't meant to be comprehensive. Like I say, it's not a "Best Of" list. It's more a State of the Union... the mix of old and new that we're excited about right now (meaning the past year). It's meant to be very dynamic, and it'll change from year to year, always reflecting what excites us.

I think we're doing good things here, and the more we keep that up, and the more we all contribute to the forum, the more exciting and valuable it's going to be, and the more folks who are lurking will want to be a part of it.
Dominic Armato
User avatar
BarbaraToombs
Posts: 1471
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Chandler/Tempe, Arizona

Post

Ugh. Another one I just realized was neglected, but hopefully won't be next time around: Essence Bakery Cafe!!! (Where I just had lunch.) So many great places, so little time! :D
cactuschowdah
Posts: 144
Joined: 9 years ago

Post

So it looks like every place that got nominated made the cut? Or did I miss something that didn't?
User avatar
Skillet Doux
Site Admin
Posts: 3456
Joined: 9 years ago

Post

cactuschowdah wrote:So it looks like every place that got nominated made the cut? Or did I miss something that didn't?
No, there were some that didn't. Those nomination threads were moved to cold storage just because we thought it best to focus on celebrating the places that are on the list, not pointing out those that, for one reason or another, didn't get the vote. I think I can safely speak for the panel in saying, however, that there wasn't anyplace nominated that wasn't worthy of inclusion... it was just a question of how much support they got in the posting record and nomination threads, and how vocal that support was.
Dominic Armato
cactuschowdah
Posts: 144
Joined: 9 years ago

Post

Got it! That would make sense why comparing the nominations thread to the winners list was a 100% hit rate :-)
emmaAmethyst
Posts: 19
Joined: 9 years ago

Post

Skillet Doux wrote:
cactuschowdah wrote:So it looks like every place that got nominated made the cut? Or did I miss something that didn't?
No, there were some that didn't. Those nomination threads were moved to cold storage just because we thought it best to focus on celebrating the places that are on the list, not pointing out those that, for one reason or another, didn't get the vote. I think I can safely speak for the panel in saying, however, that there wasn't anyplace nominated that wasn't worthy of inclusion... it was just a question of how much support they got in the posting record and nomination threads, and how vocal that support was.
This I have to vigorously object to. I completely understand why you don't want to encourage squabbling about "why wasn't xxx on the list?" But throwing out the nomination threads for the restaurants that "didn't make it" is ... bad.

All nomination threads represented people's support & love of a restaurant. There were experiences, feelings & support in those threads. Isn't that what you want to encourage on your board? To take those threads & effectively throw them away does not demonstrate good stewardship. Those threads absolutely need to stand.

I'm not at all interested in squabbling about who made the list & who didn't. But I'm not happy about having perfectly good threads vanish from the board.