Khyber Halal - Afghani / Indian / Pakistani

2014 list of restaurants that have captured our love and admiration
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

khyberhalalmantoo.jpg
khyberhalalmantoo.jpg (143.91 KiB) Viewed 3118 times
I fear that Khyber Halal has fallen victim to the "well, everybody knows about it so there's no reason for me to write about it," syndrome in the latter half of last year (bad PHXfners!). But I know that love for one of 2013's favorites still runs deep on the board, and I think it'd be a crying shame to let them drop off the list, so I'm nominating Khyber Halal for renewal in the hopes that a little outpouring of love over the next week will keep them on the list.
khyberhalalchickenmalaiboti.jpg
khyberhalalchickenmalaiboti.jpg (91.34 KiB) Viewed 3118 times
To review, this is such a wonderful family-run joint where we've shared an absurd number of fabulous meals (and I suspect their accounting books include a line item specifically for M_L's carryout orders). The list of favorite dishes is absurdly long -- the rich Lamb Mantoo, the intensely herbacious Chicken Malai Boti, the light and flavorful Biryanis, the once off but back on again Gulpi, the intense and meaty Afghani Kofta, the Sherpeera that showed up at the PHXfn potluck... and many more.
khyberhalalafghanikofta.jpg
khyberhalalafghanikofta.jpg (74.94 KiB) Viewed 3118 times
Some praise for Khyber Halal since FNA 2013:
Big Bob Tam wrote:Best Goat Ever!
artvandelay wrote:I've settled into somewhat of a routine getting the chicken boti most times but it and anything else I've tried has been consistently pretty fantastic.
themis wrote:My MIL ate three mantoo, chirping, 'These are such a treat!' and scraped the last of the sauce over her pulao ... Khyber Halal: Mother-In-Law approved-!
cactuschowdah wrote:We went last night with the kids after a long time away, and it is as good as ever ... Just amazing food they are turning out here.
It's such a gem of a place, and so easy to take for granted. Let's not do that. Show some love in this nomination thread so we can get Khyber Halal approved for 2014 as well.

Main discussion thread:
Khyber Halal Restaurant

2013 nomination thread:
Khyber Halal - Afghani / Pakistani / Indian

Khyber Halal
www.khyberhalalfoods.com
4030 N. 24th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85016
602-954-5290
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
M_L

5 years ago

I still go fairly frequently. Not as much as I used to but hey if it tells you anything we catered our post wedding dinner with food from here. 16 people for 140 bucks? Not only did we get a great deal we exposed a bunch of people to some awesome food and even got to enjoy it at home!

A really great place, run by great people.
BarbaraToombs

5 years ago

Wasn't I just saying at lunch the other day that I need to get over there again? The food is fantastic. No arguments from me on this one!
AZLobo

5 years ago

Since we returned to Phoenix, this has become a take-out staple for us. The mantoo, in particular is stand-out delicious, and the folks that run the place are super cool. I support this nomination.
Dapuma

5 years ago

+1 this place is great
PHXeater

5 years ago

I love this place, it was a go to on my way to/from sky harbor for quite a few months. I definitely agree Khyber Halal deserves FNA and we need to keep promoting places like Khyber Halal because until there's a line out the door not enough people know about it!
artvandelay

5 years ago

Still love this place. It's a weekly lunch spot for me. I never judge a restaurant by portion sizes but one lunch lasts two days for me.
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

Khyber Halal has been named to the 2014 Food Nerd Approved list.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com