'Pomo Pizzeria Napoletana

2014 list of restaurants that have captured our love and admiration
M_L

5 years ago

There may have been a couple other pizza places nominated this year. But I do not think you can talk about Pizza in Phoenix and not talk about Pomo. I have not strayed far from the Pizza menu aside from the app here or there which have always been excellent, after Scott's recent post I am definitely going to try the Carpaccio di Bresaola. It is hard to mess up with a PIATTO DI BUFALA but high quality ingredients really make it shine. As for the Pizza pick one though I generally go for Diavola, Principe, or Peppino. Though being a sweet tooth I have to say I like their desserts almost as much as the pizza, and they have several killer ones.

Maybe someday soon I will branch out to the pasta...

I really liked the old Scottsdale location and I went there many times, but what I will not miss, the drive. The new location is a lot more convenient. So much so that I really have no excuse for not going more often. Though it probably has to do with parking downtown...

Thread: 'Pomo Pizzeria Napoletana

'Pomo Pizzeria Napoletana
http://www.pomopizzeria.com
705 N. 1st Street
Phoenix, AZ 85004
602-795-2555
Christina

5 years ago

Love Pomo! Their lasagna is excellent too.
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

Hey, all... I think we need to get some thoughts on how to handle the multiple location question. Discussion here.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
exit2lef

5 years ago

Great lunch today at the Downtown location. The pizzas had a more noticeably soupy center than in prior visits. For those who like soft, moist middle of the pie as a hallmark of authentic VPN style, it looks like the restaurant is producing this -- at least some of the time.

Pies sampled:

bufala verace -- a classic and the best pie for appreciating the soupy center
contadina -- a nice vegetarian pie with red peppers, olives, artichokes, and mushrooms
carbonara -- imagine the pasta dish without the noodle on top of pizza, but all nicely blended together with the eggs giving the pie a custard-like texture

antipasti:

varpaccio di bresaola -- sliced cured beef with a generous layer of arugula and shaved parmesan
verdure di grigliate -- simple assortment of grilled bell pepper, eggplant, and zucchini

pasta:

lasagne alla verdure -- lots of vegetables, but lots of bechamel too
lasagne bolognese -- tomato sauce and ground meat

dessert:

millefoglie -- layers of pastry with a cream filling

Service was great as always. I've yet to have a bad meal here.
M_L

5 years ago

The pizza's were stellar and Dom's moment of Zen upon eating his soupy center was pretty excellent.
However the Lasagnas were far and away the star of the show for me. Both were really top notch.
Dessert was just enough to finish things off correctly.
Then there was the second dessert, a really nice touch and a great way to cap the meal off.

Great food, good fun, and excellent company.
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

'Pomo is one of my absolute favorites in town. The VPN certification is more than a little esoteric and, when you get into the details, more than a little absurd at times. But what matters is that this is great pizza, done right, upholding a noble tradition. Even more impressive, I think, is that they've maintained the quality of these fabulous pizzas opening a second location and relocating the first. I think it's one of the best wood-fired pizzas in town, and I think the value of a place that helps keep great culinary traditions alive cannot be overstated. 'Pomo would be an exceptional restaurant in any city. Yes to FNA!
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

'Pomo Pizzeria Napoletana (Phoenix Location) has been named to the 2014 Food Nerd Approved list.

'Pomo has a second location in Scottsdale, also discussed in the 'Pomo thread.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic