Hue Gourmet - Central Vietnamese

2014 list of restaurants that have captured our love and admiration
Mike Z

5 years ago

I'm nominating Hue Gourmet. I wish I lived closer! I'd be here weekly. I recently moved house, and it's a testament to HG (and the Mekong Plaza) that I highly considered moving to that crappy part of Mesa so I could be closer to HG and Mui's. The many soups alone would be enough to nominate, especially the crab, soooooooo good, but add in the tasty and fun banh khot and banh beo . . . I've only begun to dent a menu that is due much exploration

Was a great place for a Foodnerd lunch, and can't wait to bring some of my more adventurous out of towners
Banh khot.JPG
Banh khot.JPG (101.91 KiB) Viewed 3507 times
Original thread here:
Hue Gourmet

Hue Gourmet
Mekong Plaza
66 S. Dobson Road
Mesa, AZ 85202
480-251-7429
M_L

5 years ago

I never had any idea what I am eating here. And I do not find that to be a bad thing, I feel like I can just pick an item and end up happy with whatever I get.
AZLobo

5 years ago

Yes, yes! I support this nomination!!!
BarbaraToombs

5 years ago

Absolutely worthy. Matter of fact, I'm craving that crab soup right now...and those things that are pictured, even though I can never remember what they're called! LOL
LaPan

5 years ago

Totally agree. Everything I had was delicious. And I the fact I don't remember any item specifics is a positive.
Dapuma

5 years ago

The bun Bo hue is great, order it spicy if asked

+1
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

I desperately wanted to nominate Hue Gourmet last year, but I decided to hold off a year because I was worried that it didn't yet have the support. I think that's changed, and I'm thrilled that somebody other than me nominated it :-)

So, so many dishes here are so, so good. The bun bo hue, the banh canh cua, the banh beo that are so clearly head and shoulders above any other I've had in town, the com hen, the bun vit xao mang, not to mention the crazy assortment of all of the little pickled, fermented, and steamed items. This is such an obvious choice for so many reasons. There is nothing else like it in town -- not even close. The Hue cuisine made here is such a wonderful departure from the typical Southern Vietnamese. And what's wonderful is that it isn't just unique in town, but delicious. I can think of only one other Vietnamese joint in town that I enjoy as much as Hue Gourmet, and even that one doesn't have the benefit of having so many wonderfully unique offerings.

My only regret is that we didn't get this one a year earlier. Yes yes yes!
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
ScottofStrand

5 years ago

Absolutely agree with the above sentiments. I'll often grab a Bun bo Hue to-go after a shopping trip at Mekong. Just that dish along would make me give this my support, but there's so many other good eats here.
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

Hue Gourmet has been named to the 2014 Food Nerd Approved list.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com